• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Loving/hating a black President

Loving/hating a black President

• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
<putting on flame-retardant suit... radcen knows the mere asking of the question will be inconvenient and off-putting to some... ok, there>

Is it just as bad to like/support a President because he's black as it is bad to dislike/not support a President because he's black?

<putting on flame-retardant suit... radcen knows the mere asking of the question will be inconvenient and off-putting to some... ok, there>

Is it just as bad to like/support a President because he's black as it is bad to dislike/not support a President because he's black?
Ether side of the question is "racist" because a person is basing their decision on race.

I think it is part of the same process as people form loyalties or antipathies around identity.

As to either, I imagine the love/hate probably exists in fairly equal measure on one side of the equation as it does the other, and the expression probably follows some sort of inverted bell curve in degrees of intensity.

I think it is part of the same process as people form loyalties or antipathies around identity.

As to either, I imagine the love/hate probably exists in fairly equal measure on one side of the equation as it does the other, and the expression probably follows some sort of inverted bell curve in degrees of intensity.

I disagree.

I think there are very few people, if any, who dislike Pres. Obama because he's black whereas there seems to be plenty of people who like him for that reason. I don't see much difference between the two but I suppose most liberal positions come with a double standard.

Last edited:
I do not support this president.
Has nothing to do with his race.
I can mention many blacks that I would vote for.
Actually running out of white guys I would vote for.

When I voted for Obama in 2008, I didn't choose him for being black but I did feel I got a bonus because I've been involved in civil rights all my life. When I didn't vote for him in 2012 I didn't give any thought to his race, only to his (disappointing) performance.

I doubt that my perspective is unique. After 8 years of Bush, I would have voted for Satan (red). I actually admired McCain but between his choice of Palin and his "hundred year war" comments, I couldn't risk another dull witted presidency so Obama was the only option.

The next election will be challenging. After 8 years of Obama, I'll probably want to vote for Satan again:)

I disagree.

I think there are very few people, if any, who dislike Pres. Obama because he's black whereas there seems to be plenty of people who like him for that reason. I don't see much difference between the two but I suppose most liberal positions come with a double standard.

Spoken as a true partisan hack.

I disagree.

Typical con strawman. If that were true, wouldn't Hermann Cain be President? Why does the right have a hard on for Dr. Carson? He doesn't say anything white guys don't say.

Democrats like Democrats and Republicans like Republicans. They both hate the other side. It usually has nothing to do with race.

I thought President Obama was half-and-half, even in terms the racist nutters understand. But I suppose it is like Hitler with Jews - a Jew is someone with one Jewish grandparent, who is the grandson of someone with one Jewsiish grandparent and so on back to Adam, or whoever. Why do they let the silly buggers out?

Spoken as a true partisan hack.

I'm not particularly partisan at all.

Much of what liberals support just depends on the race, gender, sexuality, etc. of the person.

What is the question?

Typical con strawman. If that were true, wouldn't Hermann Cain be President? Why does the right have a hard on for Dr. Carson? He doesn't say anything white guys don't say.

Democrats like Democrats and Republicans like Republicans. They both hate the other side. It usually has nothing to do with race.

I'm not particularly conservative but Herman Cain isn't President because he didn't win a presidential election.

I disagree.

A person who hates a President because he's black has generally learned over time to not state so publicly, because you simply catch a lot of crap for it.

A person who loves a President because he's black would generally never say so because even they know it's so shallow, but if you observe them close enough over time, and take what they say over time as a whole, you can still tell.

more has voted for Obama for the only reason he is black caused by white guilt then not voted for him because he is black caused by being a racist

Yes, it's the same. If color of skin determines one's emotional response, then the emotion itself doesn't really matter as much as the motivating factor.

A person who hates a President because he's black has generally learned over time to not state so publicly, because you simply catch a lot of crap for it.

That's just a partisan cop out.

A person who loves a President because he's black would generally never say so because even they know it's so shallow, but if you observe them close enough over time, and take what they say over time as a whole, you can still tell.

Except people have no problem talking about how happy they are to vote for a black person. Even in this thread we didn't get more than just a handful of posts before we got to Pres. Obama's skin color being a happy "bonus".

Love President West or Cain or Connie Rice.

Am tepid on President Colin Powell

Hate President Obama

What does color have to do with anything.

Not necessarily. If you believe that overcoming racial divides is an important issue in America and that electing a black president would do that it's not really a good reason to vote for president, but its better than voting for someone because they aren't black

Love President West or Cain or Connie Rice.

Am tepid on President Colin Powell

Hate President Obama

What does color have to do with anything.

I'd consider voting for Condi Rice. Or Powell. Long before I thought about Hermann Cain or Benjamin Carson.

I'd consider voting for Condi Rice. Or Powell. Long before I thought about Hermann Cain or Benjamin Carson.

I've met Cain and I think a lot of him. Carson could be my doctor and he's a bright guy. Doesn't make him presidential material.

Before president obama was first elected there was an op-ed in the huffington post urging voters to vote for Obama because he was black. I thought it was ****ed up and just as racist as not voting for him because of his skin color. That was my first and last experience with huff post, I avoid them like the plague if possible.

I couldn't care what color the President was or is. If they are doing their job and leading his country in it's best interest (for the country, not pandering for votes) then they could be plaid for all I care.

Unfortunately, from the moment he said 'fundamentally change America' my vote wasn't going in his basket.

I'm not particularly partisan at all.

Much of what liberals support just depends on the race, gender, sexuality, etc. of the person.

Of course you are partisan.

You made it all about "liberals".

Back
Top Bottom