• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Love of God/Fear of God

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Which of the following two do you think motivates people more to embrace their respective religious ideologies ? Their Love of a God, or their Fear of a God ?

It amounts to the same thing. When you love someone you fear falling short in the eyes of the beloved.

I think the answer to this will be different for every person who attempts to answer it. What motivates anyone? Furthermore I would suggest this list of motivations is quite incomplete.

I just want to know if it will be possible, at any time, to feel sad and depressed during an eternity in heaven.

OM

Which of the following two do you think motivates people more to embrace their respective religious ideologies ? Their Love of a God, or their Fear of a God ?

They go hand in hand...I love Jehovah, therefore I have a reverent fear of displeasing Him...

I think one thing that motivates love of God is fear of being disconnected. It's very possible to live in denial of the horror of complete disconnection. Denial of the reality of "hell" is very common in our modern society. In fact, I think that's a big subconscious motivation for atheism. No God, no hell, no bad spirits. Death being just nothingness, what is to fear about that?

I am not afraid of God (gods, universe, whatever anyone wants to call it). I am afraid of being disconnected, because I think that is a real threat.

No I can't prove it, just have my experiences and the experiences of others to go by with this. Don't expect me to give data for things science never even thought about.

I think one thing that motivates love of God is fear of being disconnected. It's very possible to live in denial of the horror of complete disconnection. Denial of the reality of "hell" is very common in our modern society. In fact, I think that's a big subconscious motivation for atheism. No God, no hell, no bad spirits. Death being just nothingness, what is to fear about that?

I am not afraid of God (gods, universe, whatever anyone wants to call it). I am afraid of being disconnected, because I think that is a real threat.

No I can't prove it, just have my experiences and the experiences of others to go by with this. Don't expect me to give data for things science never even thought about.

This thread is no no more about atheism than it is about the border wall, FYI.

Disconnected from what?

Carrot and Stick:

Parent to Child:
Do what I say and good good or the bogeyman will come and get you (stick)
Be good and Santa will bring you presents at Christmas (carrot)

Priest to Parishioner:
If you don't believe in god, Satan with torture you in Hell for eternity (stick)*
Do what god says and you'll spend eternity in paradise (carrot)**

*Some Christians believe god rules in Hell and will do the actually eternal torturing of you soul
**What the benefits of living an eternity in paradise (note some faiths believe this paradise will be on Earth) is not explained. But Islam give a hint when it promises 72 virgins for (male) martyrs.

I just want to know if it will be possible, at any time, to feel sad and depressed during an eternity in heaven.

OM

When you end up spending eternity with the theists in this forum, heaven will be more like hell. ;)

If you'e referring to the God of the Bible, especially the OT, then I think it's both.

That God is like an emotionally abusive parent demanding that his children continually demonstrate their love as well as threatening them with eternal torture if they don't obey him. I'd call Social Services if that was a human parent.

Why would atheists be motivated by fear of something they don't believe in in the first place? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Okay. However there are lot's of subjective 'experiences' that can be explained by neuroscience.

When you end up spending eternity with the theists in this forum, heaven will be more like hell. ;)

There is a story about a yeshiva student asking what the 'world to come' will be like. His teacher said 'It is going to be studying talmud All day long, every day. If you like doing that, it will be heaven. If you don't, it will be hell'.

Back
Top Bottom