• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
NEW ORLEANS — At the same time they are venting their fury on BP over the Gulf of Mexico spill and its calamitous environmental effects, Louisiana politicians are rushing to the defense of the oil-and-gas industry and pleading with Washington to bring back offshore drilling — now.

Yeah! Bring back the ****ing drilling! Another poster from Cali said that Califoniations don't won't drilling and shouldn't be forced to drill and that's ok. California shouldn't get a cut of the royalties from GOM drilling, either. If Louisiana wants to drill, we should be able to drill.

My husband grew up in BR, La, and lots of our friends live in the southern part of the state. With all the loss of income from the fishing industry and tourism, you guys need to be able to make up for all the loss of income into the state. What I don't understand about the whole drilling issue is why not drill inshore and within close proximity to the coast? It seems to me that this should be far safer than drilling 50 miles out in deep water, as evidenced by the recent catastrophe. I just don't see how traditional drilling could be more dangerous.

Last edited:
My husband grew up in BR, La, and lots of our friends live in the southern part of the state. With all the loss of income from the fishing industry and tourism, you guys need to be able to make up for all the loss of income into the state. What I don't understand about the whole drilling issue is why not drill inshore and within close proximity to the coast? It seems to me that this should be far safer than drilling 50 miles out in deep water, as evidenced by the recent catastrophe. I just don't see how traditional drilling could be more dangerous.

The treehuggers pushed the rigs farther and farther offshore. Everything about this spill is the treehuggers's doing.

It does seem that way, but imo, it's insane. Why in the hell would anyone believe that drilling 5000 feet down 50 miles off shore is a good idea? I realize it's common, but it seems risky to me with my limited knowledge of drilling. Wouldn't incidents such as this one be much easier to contain and repair in significantly lower depths?

I mean, if you're going to allow drilling, why is it significant where you drill, especially if the hazards are less inshore and in shallower offshore areas?

Last edited:
It does seem that way, but imo, it's insane. Why in the hell would anyone believe that drilling 5000 feet down 50 miles off shore is a good idea? I realize it's common, but it seems risky to me with my limited knowledge of drilling. Wouldn't incidents such as this one be much easier to contain and repair in significantly lower depths?

I mean, if you're going to allow drilling, why is it significant where you drill, especially if the hazards are less inshore and in shallower offshore areas?

Since when do treehuggers make sense?

They don't.:D
I just don't understand why the EPA and those who legislate/regulate the oil industry can't seem to grasp this.:)

They don't.:D
I just don't understand why the EPA and those who legislate/regulate the oil industry can't seem to grasp this.:)

They're grasp of this situation isn't important. In fact, their lack of understanding is important to the political agenda. Obama needed a catastrophe, so he could promote his agenda.

You may be right. The older I get, it seems that the outlandish things make the pieces fit together.;)

Seeing how long it is taking BP to fix the leak and the damage its doing to local tourism and fishing hasn't helped the case for off shore oil drilling. Its like asking to build a nuclear power plant right after the Chernobyl disaster. A lot of people do not like taking risks after a worst case scenario has happened.

Seeing how long it is taking BP to fix the leak and the damage its doing to local tourism and fishing hasn't helped the case for off shore oil drilling. Its like asking to build a nuclear power plant right after the Chernobyl disaster. A lot of people do not like taking risks after a worst case scenario has happened.

If you have an idea as to how BP can stop this leak I feel certain that the entire population of all the gulf states would be eternally grateful.

Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

<--- Not this guy from Louisiana.

If you have an idea as to how BP can stop this leak I feel certain that the entire population of all the gulf states would be eternally grateful.

My idea would be to shove a smaller pipe deep down the hole and shove and inflatable bladder down that hole and inflate the bladder with water and surround the sides with cement and put a valve on the pipe or stick a smaller pipe deep in the hole and pumps gallons of expanding foam. But I am no expert at deep pressure so I am not sure those ideas would even work. But the thing is regardless of what idea BP uses to fix the leak a significant amount of time has already passed and a lot of damage done to the fishing industry and tourism on the coastline. When ever someone ask to let them build off shore the government will look at the BP disaster just like they will look and the Chernobyl disaster when ever someone comes asking to build a nuclear power plant and will say hell no and least the people in the elected officials districts will say hell no. Again if this only took a few days to fix or at most a week to fix then most people would be on board with offshore drilling. However they are still on day 50 or 60 something and they are talking about getting it fix either in July or August. If one oil company can not adequately handle a leak and the other other oil companies are not offering any ideas wouldn't that tell you that if any of those oil rigs ran by other companies had a leak the same thing would happen that's happening right now with BP? Before the BP incident I would have blown off the enviro-nuts because I was under the impression that these oil companies could fix a leak in a timely manner. I still support drilling on land.

Last edited:
Environmental regulations, denial of federal land lease prevent this from happening. This country has plenty of oil on land opposed to offshore but again denied. If something like this happens on land which is rare as in the case of offshore drilling, land rig blowouts can be contained in short order.

My fear for Louisana is that suspension of off-shore drilling will add to the already devastated economy! When Katrina hit, celebs were out in droves trying to help the city of New Orleans. Where is that support system now??? Katrina is going to seem like nothing when this oil spill is all said and done. Those beautiful marshs will be a wasteland and the beach economy will suffer billions in lost revenue and yet I don't see a sense of urgency AT ALL !! :shock:

Environmental regulations, denial of federal land lease prevent this from happening. This country has plenty of oil on land opposed to offshore but again denied. If something like this happens on land which is rare as in the case of offshore drilling, land rig blowouts can be contained in short order.

If we allowed the on-land and near-shore drilling in addition to deep-sea drilling, they'd be doing all three. These companies will drill anywhere and everywhere that it is profitable. If drilling in deep water weren't profitable, they never would have started. Since drilling there is profitable, why wouldn't they drill both on land and in deep water? They weren't "pushed" off shore. They would have gone there anyway. Blaming this on environmentalists - people who were opposed to the deep water drilling, is just stupidity.

If we allowed the on-land and near-shore drilling in addition to deep-sea drilling, they'd be doing all three. These companies will drill anywhere and everywhere that it is profitable. If drilling in deep water weren't profitable, they never would have started. Since drilling there is profitable, why wouldn't they drill both on land and in deep water? They weren't "pushed" off shore. They would have gone there anyway. Blaming this on environmentalists - people who were opposed to the deep water drilling, is just stupidity.
Yes they would drill anywhere if there was a profit, but slant drilling could have avoided these from lesser depths. Deep water drilling is very expensive, slant drilling was developed to prevent this.

<--- Not this guy from Louisiana.

You'll be singing a different tune when you lose your job, because the state's economy has crashed. And, I don't care how safe you think your job is, if 20,000+ Louisianians loose their jobs in the next 6 months, there is a very good chance of losing your job.

The blame may not rest entirely on enviromentalists, but the law has definitely pushed rigs further offshore.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the Secretary shall deposit into a separate account in the Treasury of the United States all bonuses, rents, and royalties, and other revenues (derived from any bidding system authorized under subsection (a)(1) of this section), excluding Federal income and windfall profits taxes, and derived from any lease issued after September 18, 1978 of any Federal tract which lies wholly (or, in the case of Alaska, partially until seven years from the date of settlement of any boundary dispute that is the subject of an agreement under section 1336 of this title entered into prior to January 1, 1986 or until April 15, 1993 with respect to any other tract) within three nautical miles of the seaward boundary of any coastal State, or, (except as provided above for Alaska) in the case where a Federal tract lies partially within three nautical miles of the seaward boundary, a percentage of bonuses, rents, royalties, and other revenues (derived from any bidding system authorized under subsection (a)(1) of this section), excluding Federal income and windfall profits taxes, and derived from any lease issued after September 18, 1978 of such tract equal to the percentage of surface acreage of the tract that lies within such three nautical miles.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode43/usc_sec_43_00001337----000-.html

Glad to see that Louisiana's itch is back.

/sarcasm

My fear for Louisana is that suspension of off-shore drilling will add to the already devastated economy! When Katrina hit, celebs were out in droves trying to help the city of New Orleans. Where is that support system now??? Katrina is going to seem like nothing when this oil spill is all said and done. Those beautiful marshs will be a wasteland and the beach economy will suffer billions in lost revenue and yet I don't see a sense of urgency AT ALL !! :shock:

Maybe next time the state wll vote for Obama. Then they may get the same attention unions do.

When a plane crashes you don't shut down all the airlines while you investigate the cause. We don't shut down our school system when a bus is in an accident.
Obama is pandering to the far left and is going to totally ruin our economy. What he should be doing is tightening regulations. He should be insisting that all rigs have at least two relief wells instead of none. This would create tens of thousands of jobs instead of destroying jobs. This ban, if it lasts very long will cause these oil companies to pick up and leave, never to return. The need for oil is not going away anytime soon. I prefer we use our own and keep the money here and out of the hands of our enemies. Drill baby drill. Someones going to anyway. Why not us?
He is wasting this crisis. He should be using it to create jobs.

Maybe next time the state wll vote for Obama. Then they may get the same attention unions do.

Please, promote the idea that Obama ****ed over th southern states for political reasons. Make it such a popular idea, that dumbassed Liberals actually go on television saying the same thing. I would love that!

Don't think that no one is going to notice Obama bailing out the piss poor unions while he allows the gulf coast to founder.

Please, promote the idea that Obama ****ed over th southern states for political reasons. Make it such a popular idea, that dumbassed Liberals actually go on television saying the same thing. I would love that!

Don't think that no one is going to notice Obama bailing out the piss poor unions while he allows the gulf coast to founder.

Why haven't the newsreaders on TV who make more than CEOs picked up on this? Is it that the people in NY and Calif could care less about LA. When the crap hits Florida beaches where New Yorkers vacation, then we will hear howls.

Why haven't the newsreaders on TV who make more than CEOs picked up on this? Is it that the people in NY and Calif could care less about LA. When the crap hits Florida beaches where New Yorkers vacation, then we will hear howls.

The Liberal press doesn't want to give yall's secret away. That's why.

When a plane crashes you don't shut down all the airlines while you investigate the cause. We don't shut down our school system when a bus is in an accident..

I heard Glenn Beck use a similar analogy with a house to support off shore oil drilling "you don't stop building houses just because one catches on fire". He is wrong on this one because a house fire can be put out before if burns down the city,neighborhood and block, the oil leak in the gulf is still going on.

Back
Top Bottom