• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Louisiana: Bill imposes road maintenance fee on EV and hybrid owners

I don’t have any problem with this

No one should have a problem paying their fair share. I'm sure that ev owners are happy this passed, making it easier for them to support their local infrastructure.

Perhaps the gas tax was the wrong place to fund transportation infrastructure in the first place?

As we move from internal combustion engines to electric motors the gas tax is going to die. What is going to happen is that when you register your vehicle you are going to pay all of the taxes then. This will be hard for many people to do. It will lead to only the wealthy using personal vehicles while the not-wealthy-enough must take public transportation. Then mass population movement towards cities. And with fewer drivers the higher the fees go for drivers making it impossible for anyone to drive except the very wealthy.

$110 per year. The gas tax is $.20 per gallon, average gas tank is what, 12 or 15 gallons. If its 15 gallons thats $3 bucks per fill-up so the EV owner is paying what a gas guzzler driver pays for 36 fill-ups per year, three per month.
Sounds like a cash grab to me, punitive even, especially since the EV owner seems likely to be a city dweller, one who would own a small car and not put on a lot of miles.

Of course it is.

But appeasing big oil is second nature in states like Louisiana, and have been for a century or more.

Big oil is losing the war against electric cars and renewables. They’re just using friendly politicians to create obstacles to make the alternatives less advantageous. Artificial obstacles like this ”fee”

Perhaps the gas tax was the wrong place to fund transportation infrastructure in the first place?

As we move from internal combustion engines to electric motors the gas tax is going to die. What is going to happen is that when you register your vehicle you are going to pay all of the taxes then. This will be hard for many people to do. It will lead to only the wealthy using personal vehicles while the not-wealthy-enough must take public transportation. Then mass population movement towards cities. And with fewer drivers the higher the fees go for drivers making it impossible for anyone to drive except the very wealthy.
Seriously? In my state cars are registered for 2 years. If you take the $110/yr EV tax and add it to the the NYS registration fee that's about $400 for two years. That's well within the grasp of even lower middle class people.

Seriously? In my state cars are registered for 2 years. If you take the $110/yr EV tax and add it to the the NYS registration fee that's about $400 for two years. That's well within the grasp of even lower middle class people.
Especially if you shell out 100k plus for the car

What if they didn't know the source of the materials? Isn't that more on the corporation than the consumer?
Yes. punish the manufacturer.

Great everyone is on board with this now

Yes seriously. When people are living paycheck to paycheck it can make things difficult. A La Cart paying the tax for gas is a lot easier than a lumpsum.

It is a tax and taxes tend to increase. As fewer people drive combustion engines the higher that tax will go.

Yes seriously. When people are living paycheck to paycheck it can make things difficult. A La Cart paying the tax for gas is a lot easier than a lumpsum.

It is a tax and taxes tend to increase. As fewer people drive combustion engines the higher that tax will go.
Or, the more that have to pay via the ' ev' tax.

EV and electric car owners should be fined significantly if their battery is made of Cobalt that came from a Chinese owned mine in the Congo.
So it's the consumer, not the producer's, fault? Way to go there for personal repsonsiblity. Don't fine the person who did it, instead just fine the person that buys it? This is why conservative logic is so ****ed up and asinine. DISMISSED!

So it's the consumer, not the producer's, fault? Way to go there for personal repsonsiblity. Don't fine the person who did it, instead just fine the person that buys it? This is why conservative logic is so ****ed up and asinine. DISMISSED!
It’s the producers fault.

Now back in the day..I remember there being a conversation on here about how bbb I think had this exact bill as a test program and people were not happy over it.

I am highly amused.
I sure love how conservatives are all for lowering taxes, except for things they don’t like.

Saying that, there needs to be a funding mechanism to pay for road maintenance regardless of fuel source.

I sure love how conservatives are all for lowering taxes, except for things they don’t like.

Saying that, there needs to be a funding mechanism to pay for road maintenance regardless of fuel source.
A road maintenance tax on vehicles no matter the power source would make sense, with possible exceptions if you don't drive it more than a certain amount.

Although that might complicate things.

Back
Top Bottom