• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lou Dobbs' Big Fox Comeback

Yeah. The whole living in slavery thing was all on them and of their own creation.

So what exactly is this "real truth" anyway about minorities that they object to so much?

Have you ever owned a slave?
Do you know anyone who was a slave?
Time to get over it. We are all equal and should be treated as such. Treating people like victims only keeps them down.

Erod -

As long as these are the two ends of the spectrum

Conservative complaint: its all their own damn fault because they don't have what it takes to do what it takes.Liberal complaint: its all the fault of slavery, Jim Crow and racism

there will never be an honest discussion about the problem.

Is it just possible that there is some truth in both positions and the answer lies with acknowledging that and finding solutions which speak to both claims?

Bolded is completely wrong. It's the CONSERVATIVES who believe minorities are just as capable as anyone else. They are our equals.
It's the LIBERALS who think minorities need to have special treatment because they don't have what it takes to succeed without it.

Bolded is completely wrong. It's the CONSERVATIVES who believe minorities are just as capable as anyone else. They are our equals.
It's the LIBERALS who think minorities need to have special treatment because they don't have what it takes to succeed without it.

I'm not entirely pleased with affirmative action but there's no doubt the jobs market tends to favor whites, especially the more blue collar you become.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely pleased with affirmative action but there's no doubt the jobs market tends to favor whites, especially the more blue collar you become.

Where are you getting this from?

From my experience working blue collar jobs, they don't care what color you are as long as your willing to work.

I think AA has served it's purpose and it's time to get rid of it. At the very least, it causes racial tensions. If we are all to have equal opportunities then let's all have equal opportunities.
There are laws against racial discrimination and they should be enforced. AA is racial discrimination in my opinion.

Yes the typical Liberal response, just call people names and lie about them.

Lou Dobbs should help in the further burial of CNN the (Communist News Network) and MSNBC which stands for (Mainly Stupid News By Crackpots).

heheh amusing :giggle:
First he complains about how some "just call people names and lie about them", and then follows it up by doing the exact same thing he complained about.

heheh amusing :giggle:
First he complains about how some "just call people names and lie about them", and then follows it up by doing the exact same thing he complained about.

CNN and MSNBC are people ???? :shock:

If they are, someone grab a defibrillator.

In the first video he was going to say cotton-pickin'; that's just colloquial speech (maybe not great for use on a national news channel but not racist either-- not anymore anyway).

Go to South and call 5 black guys cotton pickers. See if they don't colloquially kick your ass.

Go to South and call 5 black guys cotton pickers. See if they don't colloquially kick your ass.

Saying "cotton picking" is NOT going to get you in trouble with anyone in the south. It is a very common saying by people of both races.

Saying "cotton picking" is NOT going to get you in trouble with anyone in the south. It is a very common saying by people of both races.

So then here is an experiment for you. Walk down to your local 7/11. Wait for a few black guys to pull up and start calling them cotton pickers. ;)

this is freakin hopeless. It is like i am standing outside a dark cave asking a blind man to describe what shapes the fire is throwing in shadows on the wall.

So then here is an experiment for you. Walk down to your local 7/11. Wait for a few black guys to pull up and start calling them cotton pickers. ;)

No problem... I've done it many times over my lifetime in the south interacting with black people. Most people in the south, black and white, don't think twice about a common saying like "cotton pickin." It's common vernacular here.

If that's the best you've got, you should pack it up and go home.

and... there's no 7/11s around here.

Last edited:
Actually, I suggest Gill that you try saying that in the Fifth Ward here in Houston, Texas... Then get back too us about on how it went. You, really haven't said it to a black person in that manner, until you have tried it in the fifth ward............:)

There's actually an etymological difference between wait a "cotton-picking minute" and calling a black person a "cotton picker".

I know that sounds weird, but I actually did some research on it. It derived before the rise of cotton as "king" in the South and was used as a "cuss word" replacement and implied, "Have some patience" because picking cotton was not terribly easy.

Now, calling a black person a "cotton picker" is derogatory or applying "cotton-picking" to "hands" or "minds" is derived from anti-black attitudes. These usages however, arose later and are looked down upon.

This has been your etymology break. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

No problem... I've done it many times over my lifetime in the south interacting with black people. Most people in the south, black and white, don't think twice about a common saying like "cotton pickin." It's common vernacular here.

If that's the best you've got, you should pack it up and go home.

and... there's no 7/11s around here.

You're just a cotton pickin' conservative. What do you know.:lol:

Besides back to Dobb's, He said Cotton... and stopped as a joke I'm sure. Look at the whole context of what he was talking about. He was making a point of Rick Sanchez getting in trouble for saying something so ridiculously non racial as cotton pickin'. Political correctness run amuk. White people picked cotton too.

Here, I guess we're all right.
Dave Wilton, Monday, June 05, 2006

Believe it or not the adjective cotton-picking comes from Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes cartoons and is used as a general adjective of disapproval, similar to damned. From a 1952 cartoon:

Get your cotton-pickin’ hooks offa me!

Bugs may not have been the first to use it, but he gets credit for first recorded use.

But the noun cottonpicker is older. It dates to around 1919 and refers to a contemptible person. From Joel Chandler Harris’s Dizzed:

What are these boys from the South? Are they cotton-pickers, corn-crackers, stump jumpers, ridge-runners or bog-leapers?

Cottonpicker has also served as a derogatory term for a black person since at least 1930. While cottonpicker has distinct racist overtones, the adjective cotton-picking does not carry them, instead being a reference to the unpleasant nature of the work.1

Actually, I suggest Gill that you try saying that in the Fifth Ward here in Houston, Texas... Then get back too us about on how it went. You, really haven't said it to a black person in that manner, until you have tried it in the fifth ward............:)

Never been in Houston's fifth ward, but I have been in the worst neighborhoods in quite a few of the largest cities in the United States. Been my experience that many of the jokers in them would cut your throat if you told them they were the epitome of humankind. I doubt any of them have even seen a cotton field, much less know what I was talking about.

None of the blacks I grew up with would be insulted by the common term "cotton picker" and would think nothing of it.

Were you equally scandalized when both Rick Sanchez with CNN and Julia Reed, editor of Newsweek, called Obama the "cotton picking President" ?????

Keith Jackson always said "cotton pickin" numerous times during every football game he announced.

You are looking for a tempest in a teapot, and this ain't it.

Living about 10 miles from the GOM as the crow flies, I can say that cotton pickin' wouldn't rouse anyone. That's also an alternative way to curse out a stubborn piece of mechanical equipment that you are working on, rather than calling it a "mother ****ing piece of ****" you can call it a "cotton pickin'" POS. It means nothing really. Trust me.

Getting back to Lou Dobbs, he was a credit to CNN, with lots of valuable information about lots of different subjects. Contrary to many people's wrong impressions, Lay Down the Law Lou was an Independent who was rather leftist on many issues, including immigration, in which he consistently stuck up for the American worker (especially those unemployed), against the tyranny of Corporate America profiteering from this domestic outsourcing use of cheap foreign labor.
He also spoke well, protecting the American people, from the various instances of stealth jihad creeping into American schools, universities, workplaces, banking, media, and wherever else Islamizationists push their agenda, unconcerned with the effects on American culture.

I think that it is a shame that Lou Dobbs is now working on Fox. For the most part I usually agreed with him, but I would rather see him do something other than go to a news station as horrid as Fox.

I think that it is a shame that Lou Dobbs is now working on Fox. For the most part I usually agreed with him, but I would rather see him do something other than go to a news station as horrid as Fox.

What's so bad about Fox ? At least they have quite a few left-wing commentators to balance off their righties. I don't see as much balance in MSNBC (Make Sure Nobody's Bluff is Called).

Back
Top Bottom