• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lots' of work to do before Electric Vehicle become mainstream

RealityNow

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Extraordinarily frustrated': Renters can find no place to plug in electric vehicles

All Hillary Schubach wanted to do is something good for the environment.

But after switching to driving a plug-in electric sedan, she quickly realized a new complication of apartment living: Access to a charging station.

Schubach’s hardly alone. Even as it appears electric car sales are hitting a tipping point, those living in apartments and condominiums around the nation can find it difficult, expensive or outright impossible to find a way to plug in when they’re at home.

With nearly one out of three households living in apartments or condominiums, the goal of switching to electric vehicles to fight climate change and save on gas becomes all the more challenging.
end quote

This will become a changing factor in Multi-Family Units Construction, to develop access to "Charging Ports". It's likely to add an additional fee for parking spots with these charging port, and developing a means to either tie it to a Unit's Electical Bill, or a Monthly Charging Fee for those who use it. It may even come with a surcharge for these units being built into the design development, whether a person uses it or not, with an added fee for the usage.

Cable companies already have such structure, where they charge a base fee for having accept to local TV programming, and a Sports fee, even if one does not have the Sports Package with their service.

Technology does not come at no cost. Already there are cities where Parking is a challenge, and in some places if people have a two car household, they may only have one parking spot provided with the rental unit.

The Electric Vehicle Transistioning has lots of details to work out.

Will Business and Industry have "Charging Stations"?

Will Gas Stations begin to be built with alternate 'Electric Vehicle Charging Stations"... what type of security will be put in place for parking while charging in Public Access Service Stations.

Maybe they will develop rotor within the Axel housing that help provide some level of recharge the vehicle's Battery while its rolling during driving that might add 10-15-20-30% of additional mileage between full charge. It's likely that technology will continue to find ways to improve recharge techniques, to minimize the time needed for fixed station recharges.

Last edited:
1980 called.

I can't drive down the street without seeing multiple electric cars. Their price is similar to economy cars. They are, in fact and without any doubt, mainstream.

Does the OP not live in a Western country?

1980 called.

I can't drive down the street without seeing multiple electric cars. Their price is similar to economy cars. They are, in fact and without any doubt, mainstream.

Does the OP not live in a Western country?
I see them... when I say mainstream, maybe I should have used the term "predominant".

Now that Musk is a right wing darling, i wonder if more right wingers will start liking electric cars.
That's going to be a source of humour before all is said and done. Musk is no right-wing hero and when the time comes he'll loudly and publically not be a right-wing hero.

Electric vehicles are fine for certain things - going to the grocery store - picking up the dry cleaning, picking up the kids from soccer practice, etc.

But we'll need gasoline cars for longer trips.

Say Bob's electric car has a range of 250 miles. That's the "hypothetical" range - which can only be achieved in the vacuum of space and zero gravity. However the "real-world" range of Bob's EV will be considerably less - - probably closer to half the advertised range. Bob cannot drive his EV from L.A. to San Diego (230 mile round-trip). He would need to recharge for 6 to 8 hours.

Bob would be wise to keep his old gas-guzzler for longer trips, and just use the EV for local errands.

That's going to be a source of humour before all is said and done. Musk is no right-wing hero and when the time comes he'll loudly and publically not be a right-wing hero.
Probably. However, Musk has potentially broken through to those who formerly dismissed climate change and electric vehicles as liberal bullshit. I wonder if this will make any difference.

Electric vehicles are fine for certain things - going to the grocery store - picking up the dry cleaning, picking up the kids from soccer practice, etc.

Say Bob's electric car has a range of 250 miles. That's the "hypothetical" range - which can only be achieved in the vacuum of space and zero gravity. However the "real-world" range of Bob's EV will be considerably less - - probably closer to half the advertised range. Bob cannot drive his EV from L.A. to San Diego (230 mile round-trip). He would need to recharge for 6 to 8 hours.

Bob would be wise to keep his old gas-guzzler for longer trips, and just use the EV for local errands.
When I drive the eV (99% of the time), gas stations seem scarce because I'm neither looking for them or checking the price of fuel from them. I do frequently see charging stations in many unexpected places should I need to plug in though - Walmart, the grocery store, and even at the bank. For drives less than 200 miles, the eV sees primary transpo duty; for longer trips (went to the mountains last November), I just rent a gas luxury car - often as the need to go more than 200 miles at a sitting comes up, I can rent a motorhome much cheaper than keeping a 2nd ICE car in the driveway. With the cost of gas these days, it's cheaper to fly anyway!

Currently needing an occasional long distance ICE does not preclude the practicability of an eV for everything else as they transition to predominance. BTW, the range and charging times stated above are bologna - go to Hertz and rent a Tesla for a day; it will save many hours of regurgitating non-facts, and probably convince you to buy one! EV's sell themselves.

Extraordinarily frustrated': Renters can find no place to plug in electric vehicles

All Hillary Schubach wanted to do is something good for the environment.

But after switching to driving a plug-in electric sedan, she quickly realized a new complication of apartment living: Access to a charging station.

Schubach’s hardly alone. Even as it appears electric car sales are hitting a tipping point, those living in apartments and condominiums around the nation can find it difficult, expensive or outright impossible to find a way to plug in when they’re at home.

With nearly one out of three households living in apartments or condominiums, the goal of switching to electric vehicles to fight climate change and save on gas becomes all the more challenging.
end quote

This will become a changing factor in Multi-Family Units Construction, to develop access to "Charging Ports". It's likely to add an additional fee for parking spots with these charging port, and developing a means to either tie it to a Unit's Electical Bill, or a Monthly Charging Fee for those who use it. It may even come with a surcharge for these units being built into the design development, whether a person uses it or not, with an added fee for the usage.

Cable companies already have such structure, where they charge a base fee for having accept to local TV programming, and a Sports fee, even if one does not have the Sports Package with their service.

Technology does not come at no cost. Already there are cities where Parking is a challenge, and in some places if people have a two car household, they may only have one parking spot provided with the rental unit.
Apartment
The Electric Vehicle Transistioning has lots of details to work out.

Will Business and Industry have "Charging Stations"?

Will Gas Stations begin to be built with alternate 'Electric Vehicle Charging Stations"... what type of security will be put in place for parking while charging in Public Access Service Stations.

Maybe they will develop rotor within the Axel housing that help provide some level of recharge the vehicle's Battery while its rolling during driving that might add 10-15-20-30% of additional mileage between full charge. It's likely that technology will continue to find ways to improve recharge techniques, to minimize the time needed for fixed station recharges.
apartment complexes will install whatever it takes to keep tennants.

Now that Musk is a right wing darling, i wonder if more right wingers will start liking electric cars.
Sheyah dude, you know it! He bought the the Twits out and don'tcha know I went total bonkers dude - so jammed I took out a second mortgage and spent $150k and bought my wife and I a his 'n hers set of top-o-the-line Teslas (rammin, man!) then I took out a third mortgage and bought a Tesla roof and power wall (too sturdy!). At the same time I spent another $5k to put proper chargers in my garage. So now I'm flat broke, but what-the-heck - y'all Democrats will surely relieve me of my debts and probably shower us with hundreds of thousands to boot for being so green. How totally righteous is that, dude!

Competetion will heat up in the Electric Car Business... History tells us that by documented facts: Henry Ford, met with strong competetion and so will Tesla.

apartment complexes will install whatever it takes to keep tennants.
You have no idea the magnitude of expense involved here. Not one.

In Denver, where I work, new multi-family projects are required to install a 10/10/80 ratio of EV chargers, based on the number of parking spaces:
10% EVI (Installed, day one)
10% EVR (Ready, piped and wired, no charger)
80% EVC (Capable, piped only, no wire, no charger)

The electrical infrastructure required to support such nonsense is in most cases DOUBLE that of the typical electrical service that'd normally feed that building. A typical multi-family building might have a 3,000 or 4,000 amp service. But with the new EV requirements, that same building will likely require an additional 3,000 or 4,000 amp service - just for the EV chargers. That's double the number of utility transformers feeding the building as well, so there's that expense too.

Denver's ordinance is so expensive, developer complaints have skyrocketed - so much so that Denver has actually [temporarily] relaxed the requirements such that only the EVI and EVR locations need to have actual electrical infrastructure installed (e.g. distribution feeders and panelboards/breaker space) - the EVC locations are now just empty conduits in the ground, feeding nothing and fed by nothing.

Moreover, in Denver, the issue isn't "keeping" tenants, the issue is finding enough apartment spaces to rent. Our company alone has budgeted probably 15 or 20 new apartment projects in just the last two years - currently working on six.

The expense of modifying an existing building's electrical service to accommodate the electrical demand of EV chargers is astronomical. Even if a tenant wanted one and was willing to pay for their own, the existing distribution system would only accommodate the addition of a handful of such loads - to the tune of anywhere from $500 to $1,500 each - not including the charger itself.

So no, no existing apartment complex is going to pony up for EV chargers for their tenants. It's just not practical.

Probably. However, Musk has potentially broken through to those who formerly dismissed climate change and electric vehicles as liberal bullshit. I wonder if this will make any difference.
Not at all. In fact, we're embracing the change and have made a few practical innovations of our own:

1651452023788.png

A friend of mine recently circled the country in his Tesla. He started out in North Carolina, went up across the upper midwest, Down Highway one in the west, and back down across AZ, Texas in the south. He said it was fine.

Sheyah dude, you know it! He bought the the Twits out and don'tcha know I went total bonkers dude - so jammed I took out a second mortgage and spent $150k and bought my wife and I a his 'n hers set of top-o-the-line Teslas (rammin, man!) then I took out a third mortgage and bought a Tesla roof and power wall (too sturdy!). At the same time I spent another $5k to put proper chargers in my garage. So now I'm flat broke, but what-the-heck - y'all Democrats will surely relieve me of my debts and probably shower us with hundreds of thousands to boot for being so green. How totally righteous is that, dude!
That sounds like a very exciting experience.

Say Bob's electric car has a range of 250 miles. That's the "hypothetical" range - which can only be achieved in the vacuum of space and zero gravity.

That is not how range is calculated.

Naw, that's just Musk ripping off the fools on the left who think climate change is real, he doesn't really believe electric cars are needed.

*Is what I imagine some right wing bullshit might be.*

Naw, that's just Musk ripping off the fools on the left who think climate change is real, he doesn't really believe electric cars are needed.

*Is what I imagine some right wing bullshit might be.*
It's a double head fake.

I see them... when I say mainstream, maybe I should have used the term "predominant".

Electric cars only just started being sold while ice cars have been on sale for a century.
They're not going to be predominant for ages, even if sales skyrocket.

Back
Top Bottom