• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lots' of work to do before Electric Vehicle become mainstream

It's coming "tech is being developed everyday" to help produce what is needed for these vehicles, America is learning it has to produce chips, batteries and other components on American soil.
There new players in the EV arena, and there will be more innovations. It's like computers, they use to be very expense, but now they are very low cost. Nothing stays the same.

The World is busy at work with new technology, Its not like long ago, because new entrants don't have to start from scratch, because information is so global that people can use it to be up to date in their start up's.

that's great, I hope so, but electric cars will not be mainstream until they only cost as much or just a little more than gas powered.

that's great, I hope so, but electric cars will not be mainstream until they only cost as much or just a little more than gas powered.
That is all relative. Depends on the gas and electric models you are comparing.

Don't know about other states but ours has rebates for buying electric and because I have a home charging unit I get the lowest time-of-use rate from the electric company, bonus -that applies to the whole houses electric use. My Tesla 3, with the rebates and a very generous trade-in allowance was less than what I would pay for a good used car. Another thing to consider on electric is the savings every day you drive it, there are no liquids other than wiper fluid, no oil to change, no brake fluid or radiator coolant to be concerned about and with the regenerative braking the brakes last a much longer time. I almost never have to actually use the brake pedal. And compare the gas price savings, what costs me $60 worth of the cheapest grade gas is less than $7 worth of electricity to go the same distance.

Electrics may not be for everyone and that is ok, but don't be swayed by the myths that are said about them. The reality is usually quite different than the nay sayings.

That is all relative. Depends on the gas and electric models you are comparing.

Don't know about other states but ours has rebates for buying electric and because I have a home charging unit I get the lowest time-of-use rate from the electric company, bonus -that applies to the whole houses electric use. My Tesla 3, with the rebates and a very generous trade-in allowance was less than what I would pay for a good used car. Another thing to consider on electric is the savings every day you drive it, there are no liquids other than wiper fluid, no oil to change, no brake fluid or radiator coolant to be concerned about and with the regenerative braking the brakes last a much longer time. I almost never have to actually use the brake pedal. And compare the gas price savings, what costs me $60 worth of the cheapest grade gas is less than $7 worth of electricity to go the same distance.

Electrics may not be for everyone and that is ok, but don't be swayed by the myths that are said about them. The reality is usually quite different than the nay sayings.
so do you mind if i ask how much you paid in total for your 3? or is that to personal? I understand if it is, but i am genuinely curious.

so do you mind if i ask how much you paid in total for your 3? or is that to personal? I understand if it is, but i am genuinely curious.
With the all rebates available at the time and my trade in, the final was a tad over 27k. Don't think I could do that now days, base price has gone up and I know one of the rebates I used has stopped. Tesla does not bargain on price, list price is it but, after speaking with them in the beginning they did give me 1 year of free charging at a super charger.

With the all rebates available at the time and my trade in, the final was a tad over 27k. Don't think I could do that now days, base price has gone up and I know one of the rebates I used has stopped. Tesla does not bargain on price, list price is it but, after speaking with them in the beginning they did give me 1 year of free charging at a super charger.
well that was a good deal, congrats, but it is my conjecture that they will have to get a model down to the 27k range all the time before it can go mainstream for everyone.

As I've already mentioned, it will "trickle down".

That trickle down would require a lot of investment that may never be recouped

Having multiple high voltage EV charges would likely require a building owner to bring in more powerlines to the building, as many would not have been built to support that level of draw. Heck a lot of houses where I live have only street parking, EV charging at home is not going to work for those houses

That trickle down would require a lot of investment that may never be recouped

Having multiple high voltage EV charges would likely require a building owner to bring in more powerlines to the building, as many would not have been built to support that level of draw. Heck a lot of houses where I live have only street parking, EV charging at home is not going to work for those houses
And at one point most homes weren't wired for electricity at all, nor indoor plumbing for that matter.

It will happen, whether you like it or not.

Now that Musk is a right wing darling, i wonder if more right wingers will start liking electric cars.

I'm right wing and I've wanted an electric truck for 20 years now.

And at one point most homes weren't wired for electricity at all, nor indoor plumbing for that matter.

It will happen, whether you like it or not.

I have no issue with electric cars, I do understand the issues and changes required to have them become the only private vehicle option for people. Ie investment in charging stations, lack of charging ability at home for many, mass increase in power plants that will be required.

Note farm vehicles will not be possible to electrify, the electrical grid in rural Canada would not support the massive draw at seeding and harvest times, nor would the long charging times work when vehicles are running 15 hrs a day at those times

I haven't seen the stats on the Ford and GM prototypes yet.

Ford has different levels for theirs with 200 miles for the low price version and over 350 miles of range for the expensive version. GM is starting off at the premium market with huge battery packs. The Hummer has 300+ miles of range and is very powerful

They are great for city use, and putting items in the bed. Add towing and the 300 miles of range drops drastically, ok for city use not intercity towing given charging times and trying to charge with a trailer blocking parking spaces

Ford has different levels for theirs with 200 miles for the low price version and over 350 miles of range for the expensive version. GM is starting off at the premium market with huge battery packs. The Hummer has 300+ miles of range and is very powerful

They are great for city use, and putting items in the bed. Add towing and the 300 miles of range drops drastically, ok for city use not intercity towing given charging times and trying to charge with a trailer blocking parking spaces
Been on rural interstates lately? Substantially fewer cars, personal trucks, and trailers; gas stations have notably fewer customers and no waiting - some stations almost look closed. Why? Price of gas. Not many eV's either. Why? Range.

Seems price is in direct competition with range. which will win out long term? Seems the playing field is levelling.

But after switching to driving a plug-in electric sedan, she quickly realized a new complication of apartment living: Access to a charging station.

Genius.

Actually, the cheapest Tesla costs about 2X as much as the average economy car.

The cheapest Tesla is not an economy car. Tesla is a luxury brand.

You can get a Nissan Leaf for as little as 20 grand, brand new.

I’m well aware of that.

I’m well aware of that, also. It’s why I corrected @ecofarm.

I don't think that's fair. While your comment might be relevant and flesh out the conversation, you were not correcting me. I claimed, "Their price is similar to economy cars."

I didn't claim "All electric cars are similarly priced". I think it's fair to read my claim as "some electric cars are similarly priced".

I agree. As more American car makers produce EV’s at a lower price point, watch how many folks move away from the ugly car maker.

Owing a Tesla is kind of a fashion statement. It's becoming a political statement. When it's not a statement of any kind and it's merely a car, then we'll see if the company can compete.

I don't think that's fair. While your comment might be relevant and flesh out the conversation, you were not correcting me. I claimed, "Their price is similar to economy cars."

I didn't claim "All electric cars are similarly priced". I think it's fair to read my claim as "some electric cars are similarly priced".
Fair response.

I already corrected my initial reaction to Tirmin’s post before you responded. 👍

I agree. As more American car makers produce EV’s at a lower price point, watch how many folks move away from the ugly car maker.

If someone had predicted, "people will buy Teslas to pwn Twitter", no one would have guessed it would be conservatives.

Owing a Tesla is kind of a fashion statement. It's becoming a political statement. When it's not a statement of any kind and it's merely a car, then we'll see if the company can compete.
By the time EV’s reach ubiquitous status in America, Musk will be forced to produce “economy” priced EV’s to compete with the Big Three, or choose to restrict itself to the niche EV luxury car market.

By the time EV’s reach ubiquitous status in America, Musk will be forced to produce “economy” priced EV’s to compete with the Big Three, or choose to restrict itself to the niche EV luxury car market.

Musk is a salesman. He's putting on a show. Heck, to his credit, he's got conservatives buying electric cars to influence social media. Buying an electric car to pwn social media should be a liberal thing. It's obviously a liberal thing. He's got conservatives doing it so I don't think we, mere mortals, should be questioning his salesmanship.

We'll find out what the company is worth after the ringmaster retires.

That's going to be a source of humour before all is said and done. Musk is no right-wing hero and when the time comes he'll loudly and publically not be a right-wing hero.
I don't find Musk to be any sort of hero. He is an opportunist. That is fine as far as it goes.

Wall St will consider him a hero because Wall St loves risk takers. It loves to applaud them when they success and ruthlessly cuts them to ribbons when they fail.

Back
Top Bottom