• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lost my best friend in real life

Maybe, maybe not. But either way it doesn’t negate all the good times and happy memories you had together.

Eh, you’ve made me think. None of my real good friends share my politics but we largely have an unspoken agreement to not discuss politics. As high of a regard as I have for my friends, I guess there is a little fear that our friendship wouldn’t survive constant political discussion. Politics are strongly held beliefs and I guess it could be deal breaker for some.

Eh, you’ve made me think. None of my real good friends share my politics but we largely have an unspoken agreement to not discuss politics. As high of a regard as I have for my friends, I guess there is a little fear that our friendship wouldn’t survive constant political discussion. Politics are strongly held beliefs and I guess it could be deal breaker for some.

ditto with our spades/bid whist group
first time we veered into a political discussion the voices elevated, especially by rabid trump and hillary supporters
once that singular 'explosion' was toned down there has been an unwritten no-political discussion rule
and we have returned to being a happy, civil gathering

btw, we are all old farts

I'll be damned, and so you are. :)
Don't give up, never give up.

Didn't give up. Still doesn't Make me feeling not not crying. **** is crying. We are not talking about ****. We are about a friend to politics.

Last edited:
Didn't give up. Still doesn't Make me feeling not not crying. **** is crying. We are not talking about ****. We are about a friend to politics.

About never mind my past post. Got a bad post and a bad keyboard. LOL.

Yea, politics is weird like that. Take renae, for instance. She posted a youtube video, making me out to be a traitor to America. But I would drink a beer with her in a heartbeat. because, despite her hating everything I stand for, she still volunteered to help out victims of Hurricane Ike when it hit the Texas coast. That means something to me. Don't get me wrong. Trump still sucks donkey dick.. :mrgreen:

Ouch. I can understand why he hated Obama. But when he went all in for Donald Trump, our friendship ended. Not my fault. Not his fault. Both our faults. This hurts.

Great musician, though. From being the sidekick of Dr. Demento, to starting the first British style progressive rock band in America, to just being a totally kick ass musician, Edison Freeman rocks. We were close friends, then along came Trump, and it changed everything. I never thought politics would change our relationship, but it did, and it hurts like hell. But kudos to one of the most kickass musicians in America. Edison Freeman, you still rock.

My friend, I think you can lay the blame at all the opinion TV shows deliberately designed to get people fired up and angry just for ratings.
The lust for ratings of TV opinion shows is what killed your friendship.
...but I hope in a few years, when all this is an ugly memory, you guys can jam again and laugh / cry about how bad it was for both of you.

Rock on.

I have die hard liberal friends, and I have die hard republican friends.

We all still like each other enough to get in a lot of fishing, golf, boating, and a good drunk every once in a while.

:( This is what happens to people who take this crap to bed with them at night :(

ditto with our spades/bid whist group
first time we veered into a political discussion the voices elevated, especially by rabid trump and hillary supporters
once that singular 'explosion' was toned down there has been an unwritten no-political discussion rule
and we have returned to being a happy, civil gathering

btw, we are all old farts

It’s totally happened in my group of friends, as well, though before Trump. Politics ignites passion. Maybe that’s a lot of the problem with it. On one hand, you want people to care enough to be interested, but caring also engages emotion. The things we care about most are the things that engage our emotions.

Ouch. I can understand why he hated Obama. But when he went all in for Donald Trump, our friendship ended. Not my fault. Not his fault. Both our faults. This hurts.

Great musician, though. From being the sidekick of Dr. Demento, to starting the first British style progressive rock band in America, to just being a totally kick ass musician, Edison Freeman rocks. We were close friends, then along came Trump, and it changed everything. I never thought politics would change our relationship, but it did, and it hurts like hell. But kudos to one of the most kickass musicians in America. Edison Freeman, you still rock.

Balls.

I/we do have friends who I suspect voted for Trump. But we have a standing agreement to not talk politics because we know this. Then there are the in-laws, who were reasonable centrists when I met but changed to the point of announcing one dinner (when we/someone made the mistake of bringing up politics) that "Trump has done nothing wrong." They changed. So we have a mostly-honored truce where politics isn't talked about. Otherwise there's screaming, etc.

Then I've got other (and more) liberal friends, which I've been to argue against too - the so-called "bernie bros" - but that hasn't resulted in something like that.

One of my oldest friends is my match and loves to take the devil's advocate position just for argument.

Haven't had to walk away from anyone tough. Sorry, man.

Dan, so sorry to hear of your loss.....I hope to take a moment to watch this young lady and enjoy; I know nothing of music, but it did make me smile and gave me a few moments where I didn't think of anything and simply let it take me away.

Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1w4WrNsG8

I am very sorry, Dana. I guess he is the one singing? He is very talented. I am sorry for your loss.

Yea, politics is weird like that. Take renae, for instance. She posted a youtube video, making me out to be a traitor to America. But I would drink a beer with her in a heartbeat. because, despite her hating everything I stand for, she still volunteered to help out victims of Hurricane Ike when it hit the Texas coast. That means something to me. Don't get me wrong. Trump still sucks donkey dick.. :mrgreen:
Sigh Dana, that's not what I said, but anyway... with rare exception I'd have a beer with ya... well you can have the beer, I really am not a big beer drinker. I also don't hate you Dana, or your stances, disagreement doesn't equal hate. I hate it when you do that.

Sorry about you and your friend but I thank you for posting this. You'll probably get back together again. You're obviously united by the magic of your music.

Back
Top Bottom