• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

L'Oreal: No More Words Like 'Whitening' Will remove 'white/whitening, fair/fairness, light/lightenin

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
This has gotta be the craziest thing I've read yet...now, I ask ya, what are we fair complected women supposed to do?:doh

French cosmetics giant L’Oreal said Saturday that it will remove words like “whitening” from its skin care products, reports the AP, a move that comes amid global protests against racism sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The company said in a statement Saturday that it "has decided to remove the words white/whitening, fair/fairness, light/lightening from all its skin evening products.” L'Oreal's decision follows a similar move by Anglo-Dutch firm Unilever on Thursday. It is among a number of companies that have been the target of criticism in the wake of Floyd's death.

Earlier this month, L’Oreal tweeted that that it “stands in solidarity with the black community and against injustice of any kind. ... Speaking out is worth it.” The post drew a negative reaction from people who see the company’s business model and advertising as focused on white consumers. English model Munroe Bergdorf notably accused the beauty brand of hypocrisy for having fired her three years ago. Bergdorf was sacked as L’Oreal UK’s first openly transgender model in 2017 for decrying “the racial violence of white people." (L'Oreal once paid Helen Mirren to promote its brand, and she did the opposite.)

L'Oreal: No More Words Like 'Whitening'

This won't stop until we all chug Aunt Jemima until we die of the diabeetus. Ready, steady, go!

No more clean white sheets, tighty-whities, white bread, or white rice.

All racist. Ever seen someone eating a sandwich on white bread? They're flashing secret signs. :lol:

All racist. Ever seen someone eating a sandwich on white bread? They're flashing secret signs. :lol:

Tidy whities are racist.:roll:

The white wedding gown is racist.

Tidy whities are racist.

If you haven't noticed, everything is racist nowadays. Even all of the bushes that racists are hiding behind.

this won't last.

The white wedding gown is racist.

It’s also patriarchal and sexist since it is supposed to symbolize a pure virginal bride committing herself to her husband.

It’s also patriarchal and sexist since it is supposed to symbolize a pure virginal bride committing herself to her husband.

AND IS WHITE. White is the lack of color in the spectrum. Black is the combination of all colors in the spectrum. The spectrum is racist.:lamo

If I ran the company, I would do the same thing. They got a lot of discussion of their products, for freeeeee. They seem like they are trying to be neutral. All good things for their brand.

If I ran the company, I would do the same thing. They got a lot of discussion of their products, for freeeeee. They seem like they are trying to be neutral. All good things for their brand.

Some can only see an attack on their precious, and vital, privilege.

You are obviously not a woman...we like precise descriptions of the products we're buying to put on our faces...we're just prissy that way...:nails

Skin lightening is a thing in India.

I think that's where a lot of these products are sold.

Um, no...there is a spectrum of colors in foundations alone...

Can I still use white-out to correct my documents at the office?

You are obviously not a woman...we like precise descriptions of the products we're buying to put on our faces...we're just prissy that way...:nails

No, we are not trying to whitewash all this...:)

This has gotta be the craziest thing I've read yet...now, I ask ya, what are we fair complected women supposed to do?:doh

L'Oreal: No More Words Like 'Whitening'

What's wrong with the word "fair" and "light"? That's what we fair and light people are. What will the lightest shades of foundation be called then?

Mostly Korean products have skin lightening ingredients.

"Skin-evening products" would include foundation which is every shade from the palest of them all to the deepest skintone of them all.

What's wrong with the word "fair" and "light"? That's what we fair and light people are. What will the lightest shades of foundation be called then?

I guess we'll have to use the darker colors and ya know what that means...:2razz:

What's not "neutral" about calling a foundation for a pale-skinned person "fair"?

I guess we'll have to use the darker colors and ya know what that means...:2razz:

They aren't going to get rid of the lighter colors -- they'll just rename them, I guess. My perfect shade would be light pink....but you can't say "light" anymore so.... pale pink, maybe?

Edit: I just checked the article. It says "from skincare products" so maybe not foundation.

Back
Top Bottom