• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Looting is reparations'

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If you keep people poor enough, long enough, they're going to revolt, though there are better ways to present their case than violence and stealing.

Chicago goes into lockdown as bridges raised and freeway exits closed to restrict access to downtown | Daily Mail Online

Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, called the looting 'reparations'.

'I don't care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy's or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,' Atkins said. 'That makes sure that person has clothes.

'Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.'

If you keep people poor enough, long enough, they're going to revolt, though there are better ways to present their case than violence and stealing.

Chicago goes into lockdown as bridges raised and freeway exits closed to restrict access to downtown | Daily Mail Online

'I don't care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy's or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,' Atkins said. 'That makes sure that person has clothes.

'Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.'

Okay but you can loot Goodwill and thrift shops and have clothes too.

No, I think you are.

The people are protesting being oppressed socially and financially with less opportunity. You want them to be pacified with the affluent's dirty, old laundry.

Blacks who are poor are not kept that way by whites.

If looting is reparations, by that same logic, lynching is criminal justice.

Blacks were once considered property...so maybe the vandalism and looting of property is in a way, reparations.

Black slave labor built this country and they got nothing in return for it. So what if they bust a few windows and take crap they don't even want...property can be replaced...but black lives can't.

No matter how you care to couch it in social terms, it's just theft.

The reasons behind the looting of property and the lynching of property are like night and day.

Such lowlife criminal behavior is one reason we cannot have an honest, open discussion about all this.

When you guys get home from work today, and tomorrow, and the day following that, (well, those of you who live in a populated city,) turn on your local news channel and tell me what all the daily drive-by shootings, car-jackings and most all other random acts of violent crimes have in common.

I will just leave it at that. :roll:

Blacks who are poor are not kept that way by whites.

What are you saying, it's genetic?

Looting is not cooperative reparations, it's a desperate attempt, in this case, to balance the scales. Doesn't make it right, but oppression inevitably leads to revolt. You can understand the cause of a situation without approving it.

Blacks were once considered property...so maybe the vandalism and looting of property is in a way, reparations.

No, because the slave owners and the slaves are all dead and have been dead for a long time.

So what if they bust a few windows and take crap they don't even want...property can be replaced...but black lives can't.

Great, then invite them over to loot your house.

No doubt President Biden will appoint to important positions some people who share Ms. Atkins's attitude.

And yet some people say that the United States of America has a bright future.

Amazing!

Black slave labor built this country and they got nothing in return for it. So what if they bust a few windows and take crap they don't even want...property can be replaced...but black lives can't.

That is certainly easy to say when it is not your property that is being looted and/or destroyed, wouldn't you say, Moot?

And I did not realize that we were put in a situation where we either have to watch black people being murdered without redress OR allow businesses to be destroyed and property theft on a massive scale without redress. Why exactly do we have to countenance either one?

Last edited:
The reasons behind the looting of property and the lynching of property are like night and day.

Lynching is the unjustified killing of other people out of grievance, whether or not they did anything wrong.

"Looting as reparations" is the unjustified theft and destruction of other people's property out of grievance, whether or not they did anything wrong.

Last edited:
What are you saying, it's genetic?

Yes. The average Negro IQ is 85. The military will not take anyone below that. In our economy one needs a fairly high IQ to earn a decent income.

That is certainly easy to say when it is not your property that is being looted and/or destroyed, wouldn't you say, Moot?

And I did not realize that we were put in a situation where we either have to watch black people being murdered without redress OR allow businesses to be destroyed and property theft on a massive scale without redress. Why exactly do we have to countenance either one?

Police cars and police stations aren't your property either.

We don't ...we just have to understand it and I don't think you do...especially after you compared property damage to lynching.

Lynching is the unjustified killing of other people out of grievance, whether or not they did anything wrong.

"Looting as reparations" is the unjustified theft and destruction of other people's property out of grievance, whether or not they did anything wrong.

Were you ever denied the right to own property? If not, then how can you say it's not justified?

Does Black Wall Street ring a bell?

Were you ever denied the right to own property? If not, then how can you say it's not justified?

Because that which is despicable if done to you is equally despicable if done to another under similar circumstances.

I have also never been raped. I can say with a clear conscience that it would not be justifiable for another person to rape someone else.

Does Black Wall Street ring a bell?

Yep. Tulsa rings a bell. It was a mass-lynching and unjustified looting.

One wicked act does not justify another. Especially when the aggrieved parties are all dead and those who carried out the act are all dead as well.

Police cars and police stations aren't your property either.

They are public property. My tax dollars paid for it. And my tax dollars will have to be raised higher in order to repair the damage and replace those police cars and stations.

We don't ...we just have to understand it and I don't think you do...especially after you compared property damage to lynching.

The underlying principle is the same: You do not get to hold someone else accountable for wicked or criminal acts that they did not demonstrably commit. And even if they did commit those acts, you do not get to take the law into your own hands.

Last edited:
Because that which is despicable if done to you is equally despicable if done to another under similar circumstances.

I have also never been raped. I can say with a clear conscience that it would not be justifiable for another person to rape someone else.
Yet, you think lynching is justifiable and property damage is not.

Yep. Tulsa rings a bell. It was a mass-lynching and unjustified looting.

One wicked act does not justify another. Especially when the aggrieved parties are all dead and those who carried out the act are all dead as well.
MLK is dead too...and yet the same racial disparity that he had to deal with existed long before he was born and 60 years later it still exists today. Why is it so difficult to understand?

A lot of blacks had never heard of the Tulsa Black Wall Street until the George Floyd protests. That's because for well over a hundred years, Blacks were not only excluded from our institutions and denied their rights...but they were also denied their own history.

Last edited:
Yet, you think lynching is justifiable.

I think no such thing, Moot. Lynching is not justifiable. Looting is not justifiable. Taking the law into your own hands to satisfy your sense of grievance is never justifiable.

MLK is dead too...and yet the same racial disparity that he had to deal with existed long before him and 69 years it still exists today. Why is it so difficult to understand?

First, if it is your argument that MLK fought and died for nothing and accomplished nothing, I have no evidence of that. While disparities exist, they are nothing compared to what they were half a century ago. And no matter the perception, no one gets to engage in lawlessness and get away with it.

A lot of blacks had never heard of the Tulsa Black Wall Street until the George Floyd protests. That's because for well over a hundred years, Blacks were not only excluded from our institutions and denied their rights...but they were also denied their place in history.

That is true. But that does not justify destroying other people's property who had nothing to do with that process.

If you keep people poor enough,

But somehow and someway they're still $$$ Expensive sports Jerseys, shoes and cell phones

Back
Top Bottom