• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Looks like the troops agree with Murtha.

Jesus Christ!

Some of you are either

A: Inherently pessimistic

or

B: Playing partisan drone

I don't want to say that some of you here are wishing for a failure because you harbor such feelings of vitriol and animosity for this administration, but it seems some of you are far too comfortable with gloating when stating or implying Iraq may be a dismal failure.

NYStateofMind said:
Right on cue. Actually, Murtha's plan called for the immediate redeployment of troops after the elections in December, but staggered over a 6 month period in order to protect the safety of the troops. He didn't say for them all to pick up and leave the next day.

You obviously didn't read the link I posted with Murtha's plan. Here, I'll post it again...

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa12_murtha/pr051117iraq.html

His plan said nothing about leaving the next day - nor did I. I was only suggesting that the poll that was posted did nothing to affirm Murtha's plan. He doesn't even address troop withdrawl. Except in his final statement. Although, that certainly didn't give a time frame.

again his plan as it appears in this press release:
To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces.
To create a quick reaction force in the region.
To create an over- the- horizon presence of Marines.
To diplomatically pursue security and stability in Iraq

A reading comprehension class might do you some good.

FinnMacCool said:
The Sunnis and Shi'ites are in civil war but thats okay cause we did what we had to do (whatever that was).

Umm you mean the media fabricated civil war? Cross your fingers buddy maybe if you pray hard enough it will happen.

Sadr ordered the Shi'ite militia to protect Sunni mosques not blow them up in retaliation, now when you have the most powerful and radical militia leader calling for peace that's a pretty far cry from civil war don't you think?

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
You obviously didn't read the link I posted with Murtha's plan. Here, I'll post it again...

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa12_murtha/pr051117iraq.html

His plan said nothing about leaving the next day - nor did I. I was only suggesting that the poll that was posted did nothing to affirm Murtha's plan. He doesn't even address troop withdrawl. Except in his final statement. Although, that certainly didn't give a time frame.

again his plan as it appears in this press release:

A reading comprehension class might do you some good.

I read the link you provided. Yes, it's a press release, but not the only explanation that Murtha has given of his plan. How about this statement, released the same day.
Staying the course in Iraq is not an option or a policy. I believe we must begin discussions for an immediate re-deployment of U.S. forces from Iraq. I believe it can be accomplished in as little as six months but it must be consistent with the safety of U.S. troops. We must insist that the Iraqis step up and seize their own destiny.

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa12_murtha/statement_051117iraq.html

You could also look at subsequent interviews Murtha gave, which further explain his position and what he was calling for....including the 6 month timeframe. If you want some links, I'll be happy to post them.

Going back to the press release that you posted....He doesn't even talk about troop withdrawal? HUH? The whole press release is an explanation of why he believes that the troops need to be withdrawn. And you're talking about MY reading comprehension?

FinnMacCool said:
Okay so basically this is what we did.

We invaded Iraq for "freedom"

Among others.
FinnMacCool said:
We took care of the insurgency (this is assuming what Gysgt says is correct)

It is on going, but for the most part their tactics are considrably unorganized and their attack numbers are no where near the strength it once was. They are losing steam. Not too many Islamists are eager to callously throw their lives away in Iraq, despite their masters wishes. Our biggest problem today is the Sunni dissention.

FinnMacCool said:
The Sunnis and Shi'ites are in civil war but thats okay cause we did what we had to do (whatever that was).

Not quite, but would that be a bad thing? Democracies and nations are built on such things. Iraq is a country where three different sects have been forced to live together and as long as one sect held a higher status than the others, their was a false peace.

FinnMacCool said:
Now we will leave and hope they don't blow each other to bits. And if they do blow each other to bits, it's their fault not ours for invading them in the first place.

We cannot change their diapers forever. We cannot hold their hands through what they seem determined to do to themselves. Democracy is learned and earned. It is not given. We removed their dictator, we gave them opportunity, we kept them as safe as possible from the insurgency as they voted for their own leadership and on the laws that would govern them (a first for the Arab world), and we hare training their military and police force. What we cannot do is protect them from their own people. It is impossible.

FinnMacCool said:
Now we leave. Look back at Iraq. What the **** did we accomplish?

What did we accomplish? Well, first you are trying to announce the final score in the second quarter. But, let's look at our recent history and see what we have accompished with Iraq....

The Cold War deformed American strategic thought and our applied values beyond recognition. From the amoral defender of Europe's rotten empires, we descended to an immoral propping up of every soulless dictator who preferred our payments to those offered by Moscow. We utterly rejected our professed values, consistently struggling against genuine national liberation movements because we saw the hand of Moscow wherever a poor man reached out for food or asked for dignity. At our worst in the Middle East, we unreservedly supported--or enthroned--medieval despots who suppressed popular liberalization efforts, thus driving moderate dissidents into the arms of fanatics. From our diplomatic personnel held hostage in Iran a generation ago, to the 11 September 2001 terrorist attack on the United States, we have suffered for our support of repressive, "stable" regimes that radicalized their own impoverished citizens. In the interests of stability, we looked the other way while secret police tortured and shabby armies massacred their own people, from Iran to Guatemala. By ousting Saddam Hussein we turned our backs on our past and faced the future. It was an act of defiance against that "Old Europe" mentality of maintaining stability above all else. We can't possibly do this everywhere all at once, but times are changing.

With Iraq, we freed a people that unfortunately are unable to sustain themselves without the brutal oppression of their former leader. This is very sad. However, that way of life is unacceptable anymore and we can no longer afford to maintain the stabilitiy of those types of governments. The Iraqis are going to have to go through their growing pains. It is simply unacceptable for an entire regional civilization to slaughter one another based on religious bigotry, lines drawn in the sand, and sect persecution in the 21st century.

aps said:
He had not considered that possibility because there is no way in hell that anyone with a brain would think that their work is almost done. Have you been watching the news lately? If we leave now, civil war will erupt.
:lol:

Odd. Troop drawdown began at the beginning of the year.
If we're reducing the number of troops, isnt that a sign that our job is getting closer to completion?

As I said: he never considered it.

And this "civil war" crap is hype. They;re no closer to a civil war than they were in 2003 or 2004 or 2005. "Civil war" has a specific meaning, and what's goin in in Iraq isnt it.

Captain America said:
If you REALLY support our troops, you'd want to get them home safely and as soon as possible.

Democrats dropped the ball more times with Al Queda, Saddam, and North Korea than anyone can count, so it is difficult for those who ACTUALLY DO have the balls to do something about foreign threats (Republicans) to even take your posturing and back seat driving seriously, but I will humor you...

Of course we want them home as soon as possible, we just aren't willing to retreat, hence embolden our enemies to get them home. Unlike the visionless, spineless left, we ACTUALLY care about our troops.

As we discovered when Bill Clinton turned Bin Laden into a hero and swelled his ranks by retreating from him in Somalia, and then did nothing while our troops got attacked over and over again by a growing Al Queda, the left's retreat, grovel and appease strategy gets MORE of our soldiers (and civilians) killed, not less.

I know you Democrats are nearly ******* yourselves with excitement at the thought of American troops failing to creating a free democracy in a former hotbed of terror and genocide, but guess what, your way sucks a lot worse. We have 12 disastrous years of Carter and Clinton to prove it.

Pat yourselves on the back for demoralizing the troops if you want, but you are in no place to say I told you so about anything. Most of the world's biggest nightmares Bush is trying to clean up right now are a direct result of Democrat policies (Al Queda, North Korea, etc.).

Also, why is it such a startling revelation to you that our soldiers want the war to be over soon? War is hell, of course they do. What are you celebrating about? Democrats are always wrong on national security; they have lost 6 elections now because of it. And they celebrate because soldiers want the war to be over soon.

Um..Ok. :roll:

Last edited:
with a troop strength of about 133,000 this poll is taken from .75% of the troops. Thats a mighty small collection base (less then 1% actually if my math is right) with a margin of error of 3.3%. They don't give you the questions and or the context of those question. And this is what the liberal are going to hold you hat on? A poll of less then 1% of the active troops in Iraq. And then start screaming how right you are? Wow... thats just pathetic. Not to mention the fact that the majority (74%) of those surveyed were miraculously there for there second or third year.....

Three quarters of the troops had served multiple tours and had a longer exposure to the conflict: 26% were on their first tour of duty, 45% were on their second tour, and 29% were in Iraq for a third time or more.

Please find something better to hang your hate on.... This poll just isn't worth it

NYStateofMind said:
I read the link you provided. Yes, it's a press release, but not the only explanation that Murtha has given of his plan. How about this statement, released the same day.

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/pa12_murtha/statement_051117iraq.html

You could also look at subsequent interviews Murtha gave, which further explain his position and what he was calling for....including the 6 month timeframe. If you want some links, I'll be happy to post them.

Going back to the press release that you posted....He doesn't even talk about troop withdrawal? HUH? The whole press release is an explanation of why he believes that the troops need to be withdrawn. And you're talking about MY reading comprehension?

So he exemplified his answer over time. So his belief is that our troops can be home within 6 months (how does 6 months = a year?). Still, how does the poll posted affirm Murtha's plan? It doesn't. You may want to reread my link. Murtha quotes General Casey when referring to troop withdrawl (even still, he doesn't endorse a complete withdrawl - but having a less visable presence). As for the overall message...?...I think you're reaching. No need to send more links - I'll just send others & we'll clutter up this thread beating each other back & forth. The point is this - every soldier wants to come home; likely before next year (asap). Also, if you read the rest of the poll it's not so supportive of "cut'N'run" as the initial numbers might appear.

Democrats dropped the ball more times with Al Queda, Saddam, and North Korea than anyone can count, so it is difficult for those who ACTUALLY DO have the balls to do something about foreign threats (Republicans) to even take your posturing and back seat driving seriously,

koolAidPacketGrape.gif

fnc_logo05.gif

Last edited:
Actually the poll is nothing like Murtha's position.........He wanted to cut and run now...............

GySgt said:
Our biggest problem today is the Sunni dissention.
That is a problem, but I'm not sure it's the biggest one.

GySgt said:
Iraq is a country where three different sects have been forced to live together and as long as one sect held a higher status than the others, their was a false peace.
You're getting there now....

GySgt said:
We cannot change their diapers forever. We cannot hold their hands through what they seem determined to do to themselves. Democracy is learned and earned. It is not given. We removed their dictator, we gave them opportunity, we kept them as safe as possible from the insurgency as they voted for their own leadership and on the laws that would govern them (a first for the Arab world), and we hare training their military and police force. What we cannot do is protect them from their own people. It is impossible.
Agreed.

GySgt said:
What did we accomplish? Well, first you are trying to announce the final score in the second quarter. But, let's look at our recent history and see what we have accompished with Iraq....

...In the interests of stability, we looked the other way while secret police tortured and shabby armies massacred their own people, from Iran to Guatemala. By ousting Saddam Hussein we turned our backs on our past and faced the future. It was an act of defiance against that "Old Europe" mentality of maintaining stability above all else. We can't possibly do this everywhere all at once, but times are changing.

However, that way of life is unacceptable anymore and we can no longer afford to maintain the stabilitiy of those types of governments. The Iraqis are going to have to go through their growing pains. It is simply unacceptable for an entire regional civilization to slaughter one another based on religious bigotry, lines drawn in the sand, and sect persecution in the 21st century.
Now we get to the part that I disagree with. Well, I agree that we are only in the second quarter. I disagree that by ousting Saddam, we have turned our back on the past. I think in the end, we have given the Shiites the power to do what Saddam was doing....to the Sunnis. There are real signs that the Shiites are already abusing their power via the Interior Ministry; the secret prisons, the abduction and torture of Sunnis. I'm concerned that we may have simply substituted one abusive government for another. The worst part is, if I'm right, they are the majority, and will be able to maintain their control in DEMOCRATIC elections. That's the biggest problem that I see.

What don't you guys understand about that well ALL want to get out, it's a matter of whether we surrender and do it or do everything we can to make it a success. Murtha wanted out NOW, he then modified his position. This poll was asked with a years timeframe and I think we all would like to be out within a year. Whether that is possible and prudent is another subject.

Speaking as a soldier

and on behalf of almost all the soldiers I have served with, we DO want to go home as soon as we can, but we do NOT want to leave before the job is done!

As a Journalism/PR graduate, which has nothing to do with what I do in the military, I and anyone who knows about the issue can tell you that polls can be written in such a way as to prove whatever agenda/point you are trying to make:

Reporter: "G.I. Joe, do you think U.S. soldiers should be in Iraq terrorizing women and children or beating detainees?"
Joe: "No, Ma'am, not at all!

Reporter: "There you have it, Bob - American soldiers want to come home and think the terrorizing of women and children should NOT be going on, that the beating of detainees should NOT be going on!"
Joe: "Ma'am, I didn't say soldiers were doing anything like that....."

Reporter: "For Al Jazeera BS TV, this is Ican Lye - Back to you in the station, Bob!"

The most-uplifting indicator of hope for us so far has been recently when the attacks on both Shia and Suni Mosques began being perpetrated by insurgents! In the Midst of all the riots and turmoil,the new Iraqi goverment and military asked the U.S. to back off and let them handle this, as they are starting to rise up to handle their own domestic problems. THIS is a sign that the new goverment is starting to stand on its own feet. It won't be long now before they will fully take the reins and we can start coming home!

But you're making a jump to a bridge too far by making the declaration that the military agrees with some liberal politician (or almost any politician) about some political issue. As I have already stated, the only people who ltry to lead by polls are the Democrats.

Many people have not had an opportunity to read the actual questions asked of our troops in the Zogby poll and have nothing to base an opinion on other than Zogby's reputation. John Zobgy consented to an interview on Hugh Hewitt's radio show to discuss the poll. It became quite contentious, with Zogby eventually hanging up on Hewitt. After further negotiations, Zogby did provide the poll questions and demographics.

They can be read at Hewitt's blog, here.

There is also a downloadable pdf file for added convenience.

It is interesting reading. Those who criticize Zogby's polls as being structured to assist those who paid for the poll might well have a point. But please go read it and decide for yourself.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Remember how all the Chicken Hawks claimed that Congressman Murtha was hurting troop morale by claiming that we should get out of Iraq as soon as possible and that we had done all we could do there? I certainly remember this all quite well. Then again, I was one of the informed few who thought the war was a bad idea before we even went into Iraq so what do I know.:roll:

Anyway, they just released a Zogby Poll:

“A first-ever survey of U.S. troops on the ground fighting a war overseas has revealed surprising findings, not the least of which is that an overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year.”

Read more here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20060228/cm_huffpost/016497;_ylt=A86.I0q3ggREc9wA6hj9wxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

I know though, Freedom is On the March. These soldiers over there actually fighting that war evidently don’t know what they are talking about. :roll:

Polls do not represent everyone unless everyone was asked.944 troops of varying MOSs were surveyed.72% of 944 is 679.68 troops "Say End War in 2006".453.12 troops allegedly say thier role is hazy in IRaq.
944 troops do not represent the rest of the military that is in Iraq.I would bet the troops who did take that poll are pogs(persons other than grunt).

oldreliable67 said:
Many people have not had an opportunity to read the actual questions asked of our troops in the Zogby poll and have nothing to base an opinion on other than Zogby's reputation. John Zobgy consented to an interview on Hugh Hewitt's radio show to discuss the poll. It became quite contentious, with Zogby eventually hanging up on Hewitt. After further negotiations, Zogby did provide the poll questions and demographics.

They can be read at Hewitt's blog, here.

There is also a downloadable pdf file for added convenience.

It is interesting reading. Those who criticize Zogby's polls as being structured to assist those who paid for the poll might well have a point. But please go read it and decide for yourself.

lmfao that transcript is hilarious, Hugh is all like: "I'm looking at the report right now in front of my face where are the demographics and the poll questions," and Zogby is all like "they're on there moron," then Hugh says: "then where are they?" And then Zogby says "Are you calling me a lier? I don't like your attitude. click" Classic.

Here's why the poll is skewed:

15. How long should U.S. troops stay in Iraq?

1. They should withdraw immediately
2. They should withdraw within the next six months
3. They should withdraw within six to twelve months
4. They should stay as long as they are needed
5. Not sure

Basically the troops couldn't give the real time scale for withdrawal basically this poll gave the option of answering that the troops should be in Iraq forever or for six to twelve months, a better question answer possiblity would have been 4. When the Iraqis step up we can step down. or 4. Until the Iraqis can provide for their own security, and in my opinion that's why they answered within six to twelve months because that's about the time scale when the Iraqi regulars will be able to take the initiative.

So instead of an articulate real world scenario and time scale this poll over-simplifys the situation and allows the anti-war crowd to say: "see the soldiers want to leave now."

Last edited:
oldreliable67 said:
Many people have not had an opportunity to read the actual questions asked of our troops in the Zogby poll and have nothing to base an opinion on other than Zogby's reputation.

Thanks for the link. I agree, which is why I haven't commented on the actual poll itself, other than the prisoner abuse question. That concerned me, and still concerns me after reading the poll questions and breakdown of the answers. It appears that there is still confusion about what our SOP is regarding interrogation methods.

Mutha didn't change his position. His statement saying 6 months was issued the same day as his press release.

Just for the record, I disagree with Murtha, but I hate to see words put in his mouth. I think his call to pullout within 6 months is a little premature. I would hate to see Iraq fall into chaos because we left a little bit too soon.

I agree that everybody wants the troops out of Iraq, and the issue is that some want them out now, some want them out "soon" and some aren't willing to put a timeline on it. The troops who responded to this poll also show a split, but the majority are in the now or soon catagory....very few support Bush's position, "as long as they are needed"....only about 23%. Interesting that when asked about the motivation of people back home who want rapid withdrawal, 37% consider them unpatriotic...when the majority of the same soldiers THEMSELVES want a rapid withdrawal. Hmmmm.....

In my opinion the poll question oversimplifys the ground situation and promotes a skewed agenda based position, in my opinion a real world answer to the poll question would have been more along the lines of: "We are winning, the situation in Iraq is steadily improving so much so that the Iraqis will be able to provide for their own security within the year."

NYStateofMind said:
Interesting that when asked about the motivation of people back home who want rapid withdrawal, 37% consider them unpatriotic...when the majority of the same soldiers THEMSELVES want a rapid withdrawal. Hmmmm.....

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. Good catch.

I will add that having been in Vietnam (though many years ago), I know from that experience that if I had been asked the question in the way that Zogby phrased it, I too would have said something like 6 mos to a year, or maybe even asap - even though I volunteered for a second tour.

oldreliable67 said:
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. Good catch.

I will add that having been in Vietnam (though many years ago), I know from that experience that if I had been asked the question in the way that Zogby phrased it, I too would have said something like 6 mos to a year, or maybe even asap - even though I volunteered for a second tour.

Got to love a volunteer.

I have longheld that wanting our troops home as soon as humanly possible WAS supporting our troops.

Semper Fi.

Of the 130,000 some odd troops does anyone know what percentage are reservists and NG who have been called up and what percentage are regular troops?

inuyasha said:
Of the 130,000 some odd troops does anyone know what percentage are reservists and NG who have been called up and what percentage are regular troops?

Do you mean of the total troops in theater or those in the Zogby poll?

The link I posted above will give the demographics on the Zogby poll. There is a, or was, a Dod website that gave the demographics on troops in theater, but I don't have the link at hand just now. Will scrounge it up and post it if it is still available.

Back
Top Bottom