• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Looks like Ralph's has been gouging me.

Crakhobarbie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I had my suspicions. Since we shop all over I'd seen how the Kroger Family stores had much higher pricing on certain staple items we use. For example, the type of water we buy had gone from $.99 per gallon to $1.30 per gallon, yet I can still buy it for $.99 at Target and Smart & Final. And now, a new report by "accountable.us" has come out directly naming Kroger as a price gouger. Et tu Ralph's? Et tu?

What the market will bear…….

Businesses have to hate the interweb, people can stand in the store scan the barcode and find what the item is selling for at a dozen other locations.

There was an old tale about two home builders that were comparing notes. The first one says, “how do you know that you have priced your houses correctly?”

The other replies,” you drive past the house two weeks after closing and if there are curtains in the windows, you were too low. If there are sheets and towels covering the windows, you were good!”

What the market will bear…….

Businesses have to hate the interweb, people can stand in the store scan the barcode and find what the item is selling for at a dozen other locations.
I live within a few minutes of multiple food stores. It may just be my observation, but when I do go to Ralph's, the large crowds that were the norm are now much lighter and the meat isle is like a ghost town.

I had my suspicions. Since we shop all over I'd seen how the Kroger Family stores had much higher pricing on certain staple items we use. For example, the type of water we buy had gone from $.99 per gallon to $1.30 per gallon, yet I can still buy it for $.99 at Target and Smart & Final. And now, a new report by "accountable.us" has come out directly naming Kroger as a price gouger. Et tu Ralph's? Et tu?

thank you for providing us a brilliant example of why/how capitalism -which seeks to maximize profits- works to keep prices low.even though that is not the goal

Why are you buying water from a grocery store?

Obviously, if you are willing to pay the higher price then the store had no incentive not to raise it.

I live within a few minutes of multiple food stores. It may just be my observation, but when I do go to Ralph's, the large crowds that were the norm are now much lighter and the meat isle is like a ghost town.
Who is Ralph?

The founder was Bernard.

This is gouging too...

Biden administration announces it will resume onshore oil and gas lease sales with higher royalty rate

I was told there's nothing the President can do to affect gas prices.
My main point has always been that Biden had no control over the causes of these Worldwide issues the planet is having. That his administration is now coming up with creative fixes should be seen as a good thing. But, unfortunately no matter what Biden does, he will never enjoy the support of MAGA,as MAGA is still so butt hurt over the loss of their demigod at the hands of a stuttering octogenarian, that they can't accept anything good Biden may have to offer. Look, Biden certainly wasn't my first choice as president. I know Biden all but insured nothing but the same status quo from Obama's reign. And I'm sorry that your kind refuse to see what a clusterf**k Donald was that he had to be removed at all costs. Now.....It is what it is

Why are you buying water from a grocery store?

Obviously, if you are willing to pay the higher price then the store had no incentive not to raise it.
My Family, for good bad or worse, only like to drink "distilled" water. I, myself, have also gotten so used to distilled, that all other water tastes "off" now. Trust me, I wish I could get away with using a water filter.

thank you for providing us a brilliant example of why/how capitalism -which seeks to maximize profits- works to keep prices low.even though that is not the goal
You are so welcome.

Closed restaurants, make people stay at home; it would make sense that grocery stores would have a good year.
With fuel prices and labor shortages items like bottled water ought to skyrocket. A gallon weighs about 7 lbs, has a big foot print on a truck and then on a shelf. That Kroger has the gallon of water that you want is the miracle of free enterprise. We are spoiled, empty shelves, a recent phenomenon, are bountiful compared to the Venezuela that we are fast tracking toward.

Gouging would be the government prohibiting bottled water in a terminal and the Hudson News (and every other vendor) selling a bottle of water for what you could buy a case for at your local Kroger.

My Family, for good bad or worse, only like to drink "distilled" water. I, myself, have also gotten so used to distilled, that all other water tastes "off" now. Trust me, I wish I could get away with using a water filter.

OK, then distill your water at home.

My main point has always been that Biden had no control over the causes of these Worldwide issues the planet is having. That his administration is now coming up with creative fixes should be seen as a good thing. But, unfortunately no matter what Biden does, he will never enjoy the support of MAGA,as MAGA is still so butt hurt over the loss of their demigod at the hands of a stuttering octogenarian, that they can't accept anything good Biden may have to offer.

He has nothing to offer.

Look, Biden certainly wasn't my first choice as president. I know Biden all but insured nothing but the same status quo from Obama's reign. And I'm sorry that your kind refuse to see what a clusterf**k Donald was that he had to be removed at all costs.

Look at the state of the nation and world. Biden and democrats made things worse.

Now.....It is what it is

Yes, a disaster measurable by any metric.

The difference in pricing between "normal" supermarkets and Whole Foods is negligible. I finally stopped going to them and our supermarket expenses were cut nearly in half. There wasn't a time I'd ring up a $60 tap at a Ralphs or a Schnucks for about a dozen items and I'd be like, "That...that can't be right. There's got to be a mistake." And I'd go through the receipt and sure enough, it added up.

These places depend on people not being discriminating shoppers.

Ralph? Ralph Kramden? Who?

Have you conducted a blind taste test?

I don’t have a dog in the fight, my tap water tastes fine.

This is gouging too...

Biden administration announces it will resume onshore oil and gas lease sales with higher royalty rate

I was told there's nothing the President can do to affect gas prices.

He's doing this to shut his critics up. I think it's a bad idea, personally. We ought to just live with inflation and consume less until things simmer back down to normal again. But I know he's looking at summer forecasts of gas between $6-8/gallon according to a few of the estimates I've seen and he knows that's a slaughterhouse at the polls waiting to happen.

He's doing this to shut his critics up. I think it's a bad idea, personally. We ought to just live with inflation and consume less until things simmer back down to normal again. But I know he's looking at summer forecasts of gas between $6-8/gallon according to a few of the estimates I've seen and he knows that's a slaughterhouse at the polls waiting to happen.

So then, he CAN do something and the left were lying about it.

I already knew that. Fuel prices are directly related to Kroger's pricing.

He is hoping to prevent further price increases (before the mid-term elections, but it won’t happen that fast (if at all) from this slight reprieve (and royalty increase) on his prior total (new) federal land lease ban.

So then, he CAN do something and the left were lying about it.

I already knew that. Fuel prices are directly related to Kroger's pricing.

Not necessarily. I mean, maybe he can do something about the price of gas, but it's a matter of whether it's worth the trouble. In the case of the SPR, for instance, releasing millions of barrels of oil might temporarily decrease the cost of gas in the very near term while simultaneously decreasing our domestic supply and actually making prices more expenses in the longer term ceteris paribus.

With respect to the leases, he's basically signaling willingness to ignore longer-term environmental concerns in favor of immediate political benefit - well, reduction of political damage is more like it. Again, calling it strictly like I see it and taking my partisan blinders off, I don't like what he's doing. I think Biden the leader needs to have the balls to tell people what we need to hear, which is we need to start living within our means, and that living within our means is more than just about what's in our bank accounts and long our credit lines are. We need to seriously double down on protecting our environment - the costs we refuse to pay now will be triple or quadruple not even a decade or two down the road.

Not necessarily. I mean, maybe he can do something about the price of gas, but it's a matter of whether it's worth the trouble. In the case of the SPR, for instance, releasing millions of barrels of oil might temporarily decrease the cost of gas in the very near term while simultaneously decreasing our domestic supply and actually making prices more expenses in the longer term ceteris paribus.

With respect to the leases, he's basically signaling willingness to ignore longer-term environmental concerns in favor of immediate political benefit - well, reduction of political damage is more like it. Again, calling it strictly like I see it and taking my partisan blinders off, I don't like what he's doing. I think Biden the leader needs to have the balls to tell people what we need to hear, which is we need to start living within our means, and that living within our means is more than just about what's in our bank accounts and long our credit lines are. We need to seriously double down on protecting our environment - the costs we refuse to pay now will be triple or quadruple not even a decade or two down the road.

OK, but every additional $1 spent on higher fossil fuel prices (and everything delivered using that energy source) now is $1 that can’t be spent on developing an alternative energy source.

Not necessarily. I mean, maybe he can do something about the price of gas, but it's a matter of whether it's worth the trouble.

Nope. The left and their media screamed for two weeks that Biden CAN DO NOTHING to affect gas prices, and then went on to blame everything and everyone else in the world.

In the case of the SPR, for instance, releasing millions of barrels of oil might temporarily decrease the cost of gas in the very near term while simultaneously decreasing our domestic supply and actually making prices more expenses in the longer term ceteris paribus.

With respect to the leases, he's basically signaling willingness to ignore longer-term environmental concerns in favor of immediate political benefit - well, reduction of political damage is more like it.

Of course he is. On the subject of buying Russian energy, we were told, "It's only 7% - so insignificant that it means NOTHING!"

Then he runs to the Saudi's, Iran, and Venezuela to beg for more production while leaving progressive greens in his dust.
Again, calling it strictly like I see it and taking my partisan blinders off, I don't like what he's doing. I think Biden the leader needs to have the balls to tell people what we need to hear, which is we need to start living within our means, and that living within our means is more than just about what's in our bank accounts and long our credit lines are.

Responsible people already do. In other news, a fool and their money shall soon part.

We need to seriously double down on protecting our environment - the costs we refuse to pay now will be triple or quadruple not even a decade or two down the road.

The entire effort is centered exclusively on fossil fuels, while the problem of trash, waste, plastics, and chemical pollution is even worse. Our foods, soil, and water is filled with forever chemicals, micro plastics, pesticides, and fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom