• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Looks like Macron is going to have a significant win

Callen

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
looks like a sound win too!

In the moment with Putin's invasion of Ukraine, it's best that Pres Macron stays around.

The incumbent President of the Republic on the Move (LREM, center) won 57.6% of the vote, while Le Pen (National Reunion - RN, populist right) scored 42.4%. %, according to the estimate broadcast by BFM TV. Another estimate of 58.2% - 41.8% was broadcast by France Info.

Marine Le Pen concedes defeat in presidential runoff, hands victory to President Emmanuel Macron.

Looks like Macron wins. Thank goodness for France.
He is a decent man, but I don't like the idea of a continuation of individuals who are elitist and look down on ordinary people. That's not progress, that's regressive.

He is a decent man, but I don't like the idea of a continuation of individuals who are elitist and look down on ordinary people. That's not progress, that's regressive.
He puts me in mind of Trudeau, a true elitist. How sad it is that our choices have come to elitists or populists.

Good for the french. Hopefully they get the results they deserve.

He manages to be a populist elitist very skilfully depending who you ask.

Populism isn’t bad, people. It’s just Citizens telling the government to listen up or else.

Le Pen goes down in flames as I knew she would.

Populism isn’t bad, people. It’s just Citizens telling the government to listen up or else.

Le Pen goes down in flames as I knew she would.
I can't think of a populist government that turned out good. It is usually a Trojan horse for authoritarianism.

~40% voting for fascism is a problem

Well... a large chunk of that.. say 10-15% points is most likely left wingers casting a protest vote against the current government and Macron, well knowing that Macron would win.

The far right in France has around 30% of the vote.. which is too much of course... but not unheard off in Europe in general.

By rights Macron should have won it to begin with since he already beat Le Pen and knew how to do it. Glad to see he remembered how he did it.

To PeteEU: The Economist reports that the French just have a habit of rebelling against the ruling leader, regardless of party. What percentage would you add to your 10-15% number if we take this as a fact?

To PeteEU: The Economist reports that the French just have a habit of rebelling against the ruling leader, regardless of party. What percentage would you add to your 10-15% number if we take this as a fact?

Dunno, but I suspect the voting in the overseas areas were largely protest.... cant see a bunch of half white, half native peoples vote for a racist like Le Pen.

Back
Top Bottom