• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Looking for .22 recommendations

tessaesque

Bring us a shrubbery!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm planning on purchasing a .22 pistol in the near future and I'm looking for recommendations. I love my Bersa .380 CC model, but I'm not a big fan of the Bersa .22s I've come across. Would prefer a magazine instead of a revolver, but other than that I'm open to just about anything within a reasonable price range (would like to spend less than $450).

I'm planning on purchasing a .22 pistol in the near future and I'm looking for recommendations. I love my Bersa .380 CC model, but I'm not a big fan of the Bersa .22s I've come across. Would prefer a magazine instead of a revolver, but other than that I'm open to just about anything within a reasonable price range (would like to spend less than $450).

Not much to go on here. For CC or target/home use?

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Review of the Taurus PT-22 .22 LR Pistol - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Handgun Review - Phoenix Arms HP22, Taurus PT-22 and Walther P22

I have several Rugers. Cant speak highly enough of the Mark 3. Ive NEVER had a round failure with the weapons with me, or any of my kids or friends that have shot it. I have large hands, several of the people that have shot it have small hands...grip is great. Great target pistol and dead nuts accurate. I wouldn't necessarily use a 22lr for home defense...but for a general purpose range/small game weapon, all things considered...perfect gun.

I would think the SR22 Ruger would be more comparable to the Bersa, but it's hard to beat a MKII/III in quality and such. I own both as well as a ppks/22 which is an old one but I'm told a new one is coming out. If you own a 1911 govt size 45 a Kimber 22 conv kit is excellent.

Personally, I'd go with a S&W, Taurus, or Rossi revolver for your purposes. Some of the semi-auto's in .22 are extremely picky with ammo, and I wouldn't trust them with my life.

I have the Taurus model. never any problems with it other than I can't hit a target farther than about 10 feet away with it.
To be marginally fair to myself, I've not spent much time shooting a pistol, and even less time with the Taurus.
But it is very difficult for me to be consistent and accurate with it.

Bersa .380!!! That was my favorite pistol ever, too bad I had to sell it when I moved over the pond. You have a fine choice in firearms, young lady.

Bersa .380!!! That was my favorite pistol ever, too bad I had to sell it when I moved over the pond. You have a fine choice in firearms, young lady.
As I recall, the Bersa line was built on a Walther frame die. Weapons fit womens hands very well. My wife owned one as well.

Tessie, why do you want a .22 for home defense? If you are already shooting a .380, why not at least stick with a .380 or jump up to a .38 with a 4" barrel? Just curious?

As I recall, the Bersa line was built on a Walther frame die. Weapons fit womens hands very well. My wife owned one as well.

That's correct. The Bersa Thunder itself was actually modeled after the Walther PPK. I have small hands so I really liked the way it fit to my hands, and it fit in my jeans pocket no problem.

Tessie, why do you want a .22 for home defense? If you are already shooting a .380, why not at least stick with a .380 or jump up to a .38 with a 4" barrel? Just curious?

Ammo costs and availability. It's damn hard to get .380 ammo around here at a reasonable price, and I'm not keen on ordering online.

That's correct. The Bersa Thunder itself was actually modeled after the Walther PPK. I have small hands so I really liked the way it fit to my hands, and it fit in my jeans pocket no problem.

The grip was the reason I chose it (and I considered the Walther as well). I have wide palms but very short fingers, so a wide grip is problematic for me. Most guns for females, however, have very short grips, which never felt very comfortable (pinching at the magazine butt was pretty common). The Bersa and the Walther were the only two that FIT well in the .380 caliber. The Bersa won out with the slim-line CC model.

The only .22 pistol I've used is this:

Ruger® 22/45™ Target Rimfire Pistol Models

It was easy to group at about 20 yards and I'm not really a hand gun guy. I rarely "go do shooting" (as Obama would say ;) ) with anything other than a rifle or shotgun and I felt this little guy was easy and accurate.

The grip was the reason I chose it (and I considered the Walther as well). I have wide palms but very short fingers, so a wide grip is problematic for me. Most guns for females, however, have very short grips, which never felt very comfortable (pinching at the magazine butt was pretty common). The Bersa and the Walther were the only two that FIT well in the .380 caliber. The Bersa won out with the slim-line CC model.

It's also a nail driver and extremely reliable. All for $300 brand new, you can't beat that.

Ammo costs and availability. It's damn hard to get .380 ammo around here at a reasonable price, and I'm not keen on ordering online.

Hell Tess. Right now, it's very difficult to find .22 ammo. Have you looked for it lately? Yikes!

I see your point. I'm with Lizzie and Luther (sounds like a morning radio team, "Lizzie & Luther"). Luther suggests the M&P 22. I was thinking about looking at one today! I have an M&P 9 and I love the gun. It's accurate and reliable as hell. She isn't picky and she'll eat anything I feed her. It's cheaper to shoot .22 at the range.

I see your point. I'm with Lizzie and Luther (sounds like a morning radio team, "Lizzie & Luther"). Luther suggests the M&P 22. I was thinking about looking at one today! I have an M&P 9 and I love the gun. It's accurate and reliable as hell. She isn't picky and she'll eat anything I feed her. It's cheaper to shoot .22 at the range.

Haha- wouldn't that be fun? :lol:

Lizzie and Luther's Lock and Load radio show. :mrgreen:

Haha- wouldn't that be fun? :lol:

Lizzie and Luther's Lock and Load radio show. :mrgreen:

Works for me. I've always been told I have the perfect face for radio anyway!

Hell Tess. Right now, it's very difficult to find .22 ammo. Have you looked for it lately? Yikes!

There's .22 all over the place here. Can't find .223 or .556, .45 and .40 is a challenge, .380 is minimal...but .22 aplenty.

There's .22 all over the place here. Can't find .223 or .556, .45 and .40 is a challenge, .380 is minimal...but .22 aplenty.

Interesting. You can't hardly find it around here. Academy stores get shipments on Mon, Wed, and Friday mornings, and within an hour, all the .22 ammo is sold.

Interesting. I just got back from Cabela's. M&P 22s are on sale until the end of the month for $375...'cept they ain't none. :lamo The guy I talked to said they expect more in before the end of the month, but of course they don't know when or how many they'll get. As far as ammo goes they had plenty of 9 mm and 9 mm +P; 38 SPL and .38 SPC + P; 45 and 7.62. I didn't look at .223, .556, or 380. If there was any .22 ammo I never saw it. Weird.

Go to gunbrokers.com and look for a clean, USED target .22 semi-auto. Most sellers are VERY accurate and you can get twice the gun for half the price of a new one - even very fine discontinued ones.

For .22 long guns, I just bought a CHERRY 1949 Winchester Model 61 pump and a VERY collectable old Browningn pump. More than 450 each though

If you buy right (meaning cosmetically excellent - not necessarily 100%, but a good 90+% - you will NOT lose money on a good target or woodman style classic .22 pistol - and it will be vastly superior to what you buy new in a gun store even close to that price range. PLUS you have something classic to be proud of and show off that will only go up on value. Check it out. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom