• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Look out Conservative Radio - Air America is Here

AlbqOwl said:
There were several attempts at liberal talk radio back in the 1980's, shortly after Rush made his debut, and all bombed.

"How did it feel to fail 1000 times?" a reporter asked Edison, who had made 1000 unsuccessful attempts before producing the light bulb. Edison replied: "I didn't fail 1000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1001 steps."

We're in this for the long haul.

The shows that I remeber in the 80's were pretty boring. Jim Hightower, the former populist secratery of agriculture was the only one I heard. I think he's still around. Supposedly Mario Cuomo and Gary Hart had a show, but I never heard it. There also wasn't the method of distributing the shows like there is now: satellite radio - podcasts - internet streaming etc.

The media is quickly becoming a niche market with everything on its way to becoming "on demand" Since I picked up a DVR I rarely if ever watch anything live.

Ed Shultz, Stephanie Miller, Al Franken and Alan Colmes all made the list of top talk radio hosts on Talkers Magaizine. It is a list of all talk radio hosts with over 1 million listeners.

Making their first appearance on the survey are Al Franken, Alan Colmes and Stephanie Miller.

http://www.talkers.com/talkhosts.htm

I used to listen to the Stephanie Miller Show on my way to class last semester. I can honestly say that Air America made me more conservative.

I'll admit Franken is funny but I agree with him on about 5% of the issues.

The Real McCoy said:
I used to listen to the Stephanie Miller Show on my way to class last semester. I can honestly say that Air America made me more conservative.

Stephanie Miller is not on Air America.

hipsterdufus said:

Al Franken is and he is plenty dishonestly partisan and obnoxiously biased and sooooooooo easy to refute that he is probably winning some converts to the conservative side too. This is the reason that Air America survives only through contributions by rich radical leftwing donations. If Air America actually was distributing some reasoned thought, some ideas, some credible information, they would be offering an attractive product and would be winning advertisers and would become viable. But you cannot be viable when your staple of trade is solely in misinformation, liberal propaganda, and criticism. Nobody, not even most liberals, want to listen to constant Bush and/or GOP bashing all day long. There simply has to be something substantial offered or it won't hold an audience base for long.

AlbqOwl said:
Al Franken is and he is plenty dishonestly partisan and obnoxiously biased and sooooooooo easy to refute that he is probably winning some converts to the conservative side too. This is the reason that Air America survives only through contributions by rich radical leftwing donations. If Air America actually was distributing some reasoned thought, some ideas, some credible information, they would be offering an attractive product and would be winning advertisers and would become viable. But you cannot be viable when your staple of trade is solely in misinformation, liberal propaganda, and criticism. Nobody, not even most liberals, want to listen to constant Bush and/or GOP bashing all day long. There simply has to be something substantial offered or it won't hold an audience base for long.

How about a specific instance of dishonesty to debate, rather than ad homenim attacks? I've been asking that question since I joined DP and no one has ever given me a specific.

Also- what radical left wingers are supporting AA? The main support is from sponsers, doners and their recent exclusive contract with XM.

hipsterdufus said:
How about a specific instance of dishonesty to debate, rather than ad homenim attacks? I've been asking that question since I joined DP and no one has ever given me a specific.

Also- what radical left wingers are supporting AA? The main support is from sponsers, doners and their recent exclusive contract with XM.

Sure, just go to FrontPage.com, and you can learn all about Al's dishonesty, and his constant attempts to smear all conservatives, at any and all costs. It's sad really, sad that the only voice for liberals, is some washed up comedian, and even that is questionable. I don't find him funny at all, I find him demented, and on the verge of needing mental help, but that's what happens when you obsess as much as this loser.;)

http://www.frontpagemag.com/contact/campaignform.asp

franken2.jpg

Other than Franken, if you really want a true example of misinformation, half truths and blind partisanship, look no futher than Randi Rhodes.

hipsterdufus said:
Ed Shultz, Stephanie Miller, Al Franken and Alan Colmes all made the list of top talk radio hosts on Talkers Magaizine. It is a list of all talk radio hosts with over 1 million listeners.

http://www.talkers.com/talkhosts.htm

And none of them in a top 10 position (which with ties is actually 22 people) and just counting the conservatives they have 71 million versus 5 million for the liberals EVEN with their own dedicated network which had to take tax payer money from the Boy Club to even survive.

So what is conservative radio suppose to be looking out for? Franken will be gone soon if he trys to run for office. Shultz is doing OK and growing from what I've heard but may be a flash in the pan (too much a Limbaugh wannabe and not a very good one at that), I do wish Colmes was on XM and don't get Miller anywhere.

hipsterdufus said:

Um... in my area she is. 1360 AM is our local Air America station and she's on from 9-12, right before Franken.

hipsterdufus said:

What Deegan said. There are numerous websites (and other sources) that list the specifics. The dishonesty comes in various ways but mostly in misrepresentation of the facts re the economy, the war in Iraq, the war on terrorism, the president's religious faith, and emphasizing the current media-generated scandal of the week, i.e. Abu Ghraib, torture in general, proposed impeachment proceedings, speculation re indictments, etc. etc.etc. George Soros is a well known anti-Bush, anti-GOP, pro-left wing radical agenda mega millionaire and he is a major contributor to Air America as is Moveon.Org that has devoted the majority of its efforts to smearing anybody associated with the current administration.

Ad hominem attacks? On who? Commenting on the content of a radio program is ad hominem? I have not commented on the person or character of Mr. Franken but rather have commented purely on the content of his program and most of the others featured by Air America.

Deegan said:
Sure, just go to FrontPage.com, and you can learn all about Al's dishonesty, and his constant attempts to smear all conservatives, at any and all costs. It's sad really, sad that the only voice for liberals, is some washed up comedian, and even that is questionable. I don't find him funny at all, I find him demented, and on the verge of needing mental help, but that's what happens when you obsess as much as this loser.;)

http://www.frontpagemag.com/contact/campaignform.asp

franken2.jpg

All I saw was a petition , calling Franken a racist with no data, a commercial for "peace through superior fire power" and a t-shirt accusing the ACLU of being commies, and links to stories from the moonie paper.

Where's the beef?

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
All I saw was a petition , calling Franken a racist with no data, a commercial for "peace through superior fire power" and a t-shirt accusing the ACLU of being commies, and links to stories from the moonie paper.

Where's the beef?

You know what's sad? The people calling Franken a racist and a liar are probably the same people that religiously listen to Limbaugh.

http://www.bushflash.com/nazi.html

Lefty said:
You know what's sad? The people calling Franken a racist and a liar are probably the same people that religiously listen to Limbaugh.

Actually what is sad is that the people who call Limbaugh a liar and a sexist and a racist are probably the same people that religiously listen to Franken.

Stinger said:
Actually what is sad is that the people who call Limbaugh a liar and a sexist and a racist are probably the same people that religiously listen to Franken.

No actually I've never listened to his show. Though Limbaugh is all those things. In fact, I've probably (unfortunately) listened to limbaugh more than I have to anyone on Air America radio. I equate listening to limbaugh like watching a car crash.

Lefty said:

Guess what?...Franken is a racist and a liar...

Now to debunk you're partisan generalization...This is what I've written last July...since then nothing has changed...

cnredd said:
Hannity, Novak, Coulter, and Limbaugh...A-HOLES all...

This is Conservative Cnredd talkin'.

I could never get through a program on CNN with Novak on it...He's just so damn smug.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=43533&postcount=290

Now what's my excuse for saying Franken is a racist and a liar?...

Quick...make something up...

cnredd said:
Guess what?...Franken is a racist and a liar...

Now to debunk you're partisan generalization...This is what I've written last July...since then nothing has changed...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=43533&postcount=290

:applaud

Very nice. And now that you've said that. I have to say I'm not a Franken fan. I think he can be a partisan hack. Though I don't think he's a racist.

hipsterdufus said:

Where's the beef?

Read "Do as I say Not as I do." Out of 112 people that Frankin has hired over his career 1 was black. Pretty hypocritical from a guy who says he supports affirmative action and calls those who don't bigots and racists.

Lefty said:
:applaud

Very nice. And now that you've said that. I have to say I'm not a Franken fan. I think he can be a partisan hack. Though I don't think he's a racist.
Thank you for the hand clapping, but that wasn't my intention...

My intention was to show you that bullshit generalizations like the one you've posted are meaningless and insulting to those who feel a certain way but don't fit in to your ill-conceived perceptions...

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Read "Do as I say Not as I do." Out of 112 people that Frankin has hired over his career 1 was black. Pretty hypocritical from a guy who says he supports affirmative action and calls those who don't bigots and racists.

Franken just got back from his 5th USO tour, where he was in Iraq and Afghanistan performing for our troops. And the Swift Boat reply is?

hipsterdufus said:
Franken just got back from his 5th USO tour, where he was in Iraq and Afghanistan performing for our troops. And the Swift Boat reply is?

Well was he over there denegrating the war effort and the Commander and Chief like he does over here in the states? The guys a hypocrit of the highest order and the world will be better off without him. Oh, and that Stuart Smally skit that he did on SNL should have kept him out of the public eye for the rest of his life, what is that hack still doing on the airwaves?

ps: he's a racist bigot may he rot in hell.

I gotta say, I love the title of this thread. Like Air America is some big thing.

"Look out Yankees, the little leaguers are here!"

Air America! Haven't they already ditched that for another "Limbaugh of the left" type show? Nobody cares what liberals have to say because they all know there lying.

The Real McCoy said:
I gotta say, I love the title of this thread. Like Air America is some big thing.

"Look out Yankees, the little leaguers are here!"

Ha! Not just Air America but radio as a whole. Who listens to radio talk shows anyway?

it's more like "Look out mets, the little leaguers are here"

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Well was he over there denegrating the war effort and the Commander and Chief like he does over here in the states? The guys a hypocrit of the highest order and the world will be better off without him. Oh, and that Stuart Smally skit that he did on SNL should have kept him out of the public eye for the rest of his life, what is that hack still doing on the airwaves?

ps: he's a racist bigot may he rot in hell.

He doesn't do politics on the USO tours. Mostly sketch comedy - like having Taliban cheerleeders dressed in Burkas.

Here's an exerpt written by Al from his last USO tour.

Three decades later, I was asked to give back—by going on a USO Tour in 1999 to, among other places, Bosnia and Kosovo. It changed my view of the military. I returned home with nothing but admiration for our troops and their leaders. That's what happens when you go on a USO Tour. There's no way around it.

So, this article—about my recent tour to Iraq and Afghanistan—is not going to be what you might expect from me or from this magazine.

Nevertheless, this is a story of a traveling troupe of "show folk" humbly doing our best to bring a little joy, laughter, music, and Christmas cheer to the men and women who bear the burden of this administration's policies. As I said to every soldier who thanked me for coming, "It's my honor."

WE TOOK OFF from Andrews Air Force Base on a cramped KC-10 (a converted DC-10 that doubles as a cargo and refueling plane) for the 14-hour flight to Kuwait, our first stop. Breckman and I wrote most of the way. The idea was to make this a variety show, a throwback to Bob Hope. After the Army band played a few songs, Karri would take the stage and say a few sincere words of her choosing, then introduce me.

Andy wrote my opening line: "Anybody here from out of town?" Then a couple more quick jokes: "Say, that Army chow isn't sitting well with me. So far I've had five MREs [meals ready-to-eat] and none of them seem to have an exit strategy."

MY BROTHER, Owen, is an expatriate who lives in Paris. You probably couldn't find someone more against the war in Iraq than Owen. But during the trip, he was moved to tears on a number of occasions, and when we dropped him in Germany on the way home, he asked the whole group to sing "God Bless America" one last time. (We ended each show with it.)

It was a doubly emotional trip for both of us. Our mom had died about 10 days before the tour, and it was good that we got to spend this time together. (After it was announced in the press that my mom had died, some guy wrote this review of my latest book on Amazon: "See, if you write mean things about people, your mom might die." Six of 37 people found the review "helpful.") (Trajan - maybe you were one of the six?)

We didn't spend the night at K-2, flying instead to Germany, where awards were given out. I won a Distinguished Civilian Service medal from the secretary of the Army, which I plan to wear whenever I debate a conservative on TV.

We flew home and arrived at Andrews on Christmas Eve. I said goodbye to my fellow show folk and took the shuttle home to New York for Christmas with my family. But I couldn't relate to them. They hadn't been through what I had the last eight days, and they'd never know the hardships I had experienced and the horrors I had witnessed.

franken_200x252.jpg

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/03/02_400.html

Back
Top Bottom