• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Look at Chicago

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Look at Chicago, they have some of the most strict gun laws in the US. Yet every weekend anywhere from 30 to 50 people are shot with a gun. How do gun control supporters explain that???

Look at Chicago, they have some of the most strict gun laws in the US. Yet every weekend anywhere from 30 to 50 people are shot with a gun. How do gun control supporters explain that???

They blame Indiana, which has a lower murder rate than Chicago.

Blame it on Indiana of course.

Gang violence.

People have tried to stop gang violence for over a hundred years. Nothing works.

guns = less crime...???

more guns in the hands of honest people-generally means less crime

more armed thugs-more crime

gun control is far more likely to disarm honest folk than criminals

more guns in the hands of honest people-generally means less crime

more armed thugs-more crime

gun control is far more likely to disarm honest folk than criminals

Except I just showed data disproving that. Yesterday I helped someone see that Houston was more dangerous than NYC.

Are you going to bring somethign to this other than platitudes? Cause if not, I don’t care.

Except I just showed data disproving that. Yesterday I helped someone see that Houston was more dangerous than NYC.

Are you going to bring somethign to this other than platitudes? Cause if so, I don’t care.

you haven't posted anything that disproves my assertion. You can talk about one city being more dangerous than others and that doesnt prove anything.

you haven't posted anything that disproves my assertion. You can talk about one city being more dangerous than others and that doesnt prove anything.

Stats that directly speak against your assertion does have the effect of disproving it.

Indiana murder rate: 6.55
Illinois murder: 6.94
Chicago murder rate: 24.13
Indianapolis murder rate: 17.91

Stats that directly speak against your assertion does have the effect of disproving it.
you're lying because you have to analyze the amount of gun crime committed by those who are not legally allowed to own guns, the number of people who are legally armed, and all sorts of other issues.

I understand you want to not discuss Indiana‘s violent crime problem by focusing on a smaller sample of stats.

So okay: Do *you* see a big delta between the two sets of numbers you used per your own defintion? The murder rate in Indianapolis would e much lower if guns did a lick of good. And we can’t even assume guns make up the difference for that gap. Otherwise that shit looks pretty negligible to me.

But it’s your data set, so I know you’re familiar with how problematic it is.

you're lying because you have to analyze the amount of gun crime committed by those who are not legally allowed to own guns, the number of people who are legally armed, and all sorts of other issues.

I’m not lying about anything. You made an assertion based on your feelings, you even used the weak ass ”generally” qualifier like an intellectual coward. Then I produced stats directly disproving your vague, general feels hot take and you said “Nuh uh!” as thought that was some kinda response.

Go to bed if you’re gonna be cranky and non-responsive.

ouch/. a few dozen counties/areas in the USA-all under Democrat control-generate more gunshot murders than the rest of the country combined. LA county, cook County (Ill), Baltimore, MD, etc.

ouch/. a few dozen counties/areas in the USA-all under Democrat control-generate more gunshot murders than the rest of the country combined. LA county, cook County (Ill), Baltimore, MD, etc.

It’s the red states generating the guns.

I’m not lying about anything. You made an assertion based on your feelings, you even used the weak ass ”generally” qualifier like an intellectual coward. Then I produced stats directly disproving your vague, general feels hot take and you said “Nuh uh!” as thought that was some kinda response.

Go to bed if you’re gonna be cranky and non-responsive.

You are not comprehending the fact that merely spouting off rates of violent crime don't really prove your assertions. The fact is-gun control laws have never proven to be effective in decreasing violent crime in the USA. The cities that lead the USA in gunshot murders, almost always have Democrat imposed gun restrictions. And you cannot deny the fact that gun control laws are more likely to impact and restrict the activities of law abiding folks than felons.

You are not comprehending the fact that merely spouting off rates of violent crime don't really prove your assertions. The fact is-gun control laws have never proven to be effective in decreasing violent crime in the USA. The cities that lead the USA in gunshot murders, almost always have Democrat imposed gun restrictions. And you cannot deny the fact that gun control laws are more likely to impact and restrict the activities of law abiding folks than felons.

We’ve never tried federal gun control; it’s a waste of time while red states are a gun sieve for the rest of the country.

And: zero data has ever proven guns reduce crime in a community. ZEro zero nada nuttin. If you had that, you wouldn’t need your own feelings on the subject. You’d have proof.

Forgive me for speaking since I am not a gun control supporter by most definitions (though the recent iteration of the NRA would no doubt consider me one). Municipal regulations can do very little against a national gun trade in a country where travel is relatively unrestricted. If Chicago sealed off its "borders", confiscated all guns, and blocked entry of any new ones, then we'd have a real experiment with fascinating data as to whether guns make people more or less safe. Absent such draconian measures, municipal laws can have only minimal effects -- like how I can "ban" air pollution my property, but if my neighbors are all factories spewing airborne pollutants, my home's air quality is going to suck.

I understand you want to not discuss Indiana‘s violent crime problem by focusing on a smaller sample of stats.

So okay: Do *you* see a big delta between the two sets of numbers you used per your own defintion? The murder rate in Indianapolis would e much lower if guns did a lick of good. And we can’t even assume guns make up the difference for that gap. Otherwise that shit looks pretty negligible to me.

But it’s your data set, so I know you’re familiar with how problematic it is.

I didn't claim that guns "do a lick of good," so save your straw man for someone else. I pointed out that Democrats blame Indiana for the problems in Chicago, even though the murder rates there are higher, both at the city and state level.

We're talking about guns here, not people getting hit with baseball bats. If you have statistics on shootings in both places, feel free to provide them.

Back
Top Bottom