• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47 « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Please read the whole story on the link provided.

First off, the news reporters got the weapon wrong.
It's not an AK-47, it's a semi automatic variant of the full auto weapon.

Secondly, the guy being charged is bull crap.
Defending your home shouldn't be illegal.

I hate to see stories like this.

What is shotspotter technology? Does that mean there are aerial cameras flying 24/7?

Firstly, an AK-47 is an AK-47 regardless if its fully automatic or semi-automatic.
Secondly, he wasn't arrest for committing an crime, he was arrested for being suspected for committing a crime. Like that show "Cops" all suspects are innocent until proven guilty, so the issue with what he's charged with or if he should be charged with anything at all isn't about the police its about the state prosecutor.

If what his lawyer says is true than perhaps he won't be found guilty of reckless endangerment, or perhaps of illegal weapon possession depending on state law or city ordinance. Personally I don't think there's enough facts in the article to have an opinion.

Firstly, an AK-47 is an AK-47 regardless if its fully automatic or semi-automatic.
Secondly, he wasn't arrest for committing an crime, he was arrested for being suspected for committing a crime. Like that show "Cops" all suspects are innocent until proven guilty, so the issue with what he's charged with or if he should be charged with anything at all isn't about the police its about the state prosecutor.

If what his lawyer says is true than perhaps he won't be found guilty of reckless endangerment, or perhaps of illegal weapon possession depending on state law or city ordinance. Personally I don't think there's enough facts in the article to have an opinion.

He was within his rights to have the weapon.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

I don't see that he did anything wrong.

Then, every Korean kid should be arrested because every Korean boys have at least a BB gun, and quite many have automatic BB machine guns that they use to terrorize cripples and old people

Incorrect. an AK-47 is a russian ak variant that is fully automatic and fires the 7.62x.39 round.

Just as an ar-15 is not an m16...

Did they arrest any of the gang members? It's a sad day when one gets arrested for defending life and property. Uniondale is a dump.

How is that a felony? See, I knew there were lots of laws like reckless endangerment and **** like that the cops and courts can pull on people whenever they want. This is complete and utter BS to defend your property then to be in trouble for it. A felony? I think we've made WAY too many things felonies; especially considering what comes with felonies as it relates to permanent force against your rights.

The article stated that he fired the weapon though not how. If the "gang members" (which isn't even clear here just his suspicions that they were gang members) were off his property, firing the weapon seems unjustified. If he fired at the people, then the reckless charge may be warranted. Now if he fired into the dirt to show that the gun was loaded, then the arrest is bull@#$@.

The article stated that he fired the weapon though not how. If the "gang members" (which isn't even clear here just his suspicions that they were gang members) were off his property, firing the weapon seems unjustified. If he fired at the people, then the reckless charge may be warranted. Now if he fired into the dirt to show that the gun was loaded, then the arrest is bull@#$@.

The article says he fired into the ground.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47 « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

Please read the whole story on the link provided.

First off, the news reporters got the weapon wrong.
It's not an AK-47, it's a semi automatic variant of the full auto weapon.

Secondly, the guy being charged is bull crap.
Defending your home shouldn't be illegal.

I hate to see stories like this.

I'm betting the one charge against him will be dropped.

But he might want to move his family. Yes, it's unfair. No one should have to move because of gang violence and threats of reprisals. But sometimes we have to set aside pride and make a pragmatic choice to protect ourselves and our families.

Based on his story, had he shot a few of them, it would be self-defense, no?--as long as they were armed. They made terrorists threats that a reasonable person would believe they would carry out.

It stinks that this guy has to hire an attorney. It stinks that he has to live in fear.

There were 20 gang members and one of him. According to the news report, they threatened him and his family. Seems like a clear-cut case of self defense to me, especially considering that he didn't actually shoot any of them, only the grass outside his house.

There were 20 gang members and one of him. According to the news report, they threatened him and his family. Seems like a clear-cut case of self defense to me, especially considering that he didn't actually shoot any of them, only the grass outside his house.

All based upon his statements.

He claimed they were gang members..... he claimed there were 20 of them...... he claimed to have fired into the grass.......

He claimed they were gang members..... he claimed there were 20 of them...... he claimed to have fired into the grass.......

True. It's possible that what actually happened is very different than what he said happened. However, if things happened like he said they did, then his response seems reasonable.

However.....

How many drunk drivers staggering all about claim to have two drinks?
How many drug possessors claim that "these ain't my pants"?
How many rapists claim "she said yes"?

There is probably more to this incident than the information that we have. Lawyers of defendants are notorious for trying to get this info out in the public, it corrupts juries and all. While police agencies are more prone to STFU until trial.

However.....

How many drunk drivers staggering all about claim to have two drinks?
How many drug possessors claim that "these ain't my pants"?
How many rapists claim "she said yes"?

There is probably more to this incident than the information that we have. Lawyers of defendants are notorious for trying to get this info out in the public, it corrupts juries and all. While police agencies are more prone to STFU until trial.

State still has to prove it. Can you demonstrate that there weren't 20 guys there? Can you show that he used his gun improperly when confronted with threats to his person and property? The State wants a crime, the State must prove a crime.

State still has to prove it. Can you demonstrate that there weren't 20 guys there? Can you show that he used his gun improperly when confronted with threats to his person and property? The State wants a crime, the State must prove a crime.

Can you demonstrate that I stated anything as fact? Can you show where I stated he used his gun improperly when confronted with threats to his person and property?
The State will show its case for the proof of said crime in a very special place called.....

A COURT OF LAW

not in the media, like the defense likes to try to do, only to have jury members thoroughly convinced before the trial ever started.

This is the **** defense attorneys do.

If there was not enough reason to charge this man with this crime, and there would have to be some compelling evidence to actually prove there was, then he will be found not guilty, and everyone will move along with their lives.

Obviously, the circumstances we DONT know about were close enough to make the call to go ahead and charge him. Nobody wants to go through the annoying hassle of preparing a felony case to go to trial less than actual police officers.

I really wish posters here would drop the stupid suggestions of some kind of conspiracy by police departments every time a issue gets tossed into the news by an accused man's defense attorney. Those of us who know better can see through the act of attempting to tarnish any possible jury with a one sided story via the media before trial.

I'm betting the one charge against him will be dropped.

But he might want to move his family. Yes, it's unfair. No one should have to move because of gang violence and threats of reprisals. But sometimes we have to set aside pride and make a pragmatic choice to protect ourselves and our families.

Based on his story, had he shot a few of them, it would be self-defense, no?--as long as they were armed. They made terrorists threats that a reasonable person would believe they would carry out.

It stinks that this guy has to hire an attorney. It stinks that he has to live in fear.

NY is like California, people like you elect folks who would put people who defend thier homes and lives with guns in jail. :shrug:

NY is like California, people like you elect folks who would put people who defend thier homes and lives with guns in jail. :shrug:

that's why I live in the south. shoot first, drag their lifeless corpse into your house, and call the cops later

I really wish posters here would drop the stupid suggestions of some kind of conspiracy by police departments every time a issue gets tossed into the news by an accused man's defense attorney. Those of us who know better can see through the act of attempting to tarnish any possible jury with a one sided story via the media before trial.

I really wish posters here would drop the stupid suggestions that the cops are never wrong and that the people must demonstrate their innocence. The People are not the ones who are restricted, it's the government. My comments remain true, and in fact no where close to this retarded and idiotic statement of yours I've quoted here. The State still has to prove it. You are the ones (government) that have to show there weren't those people there, you (government) have to show that he used his gun improperly when confronted with threats to his person and property. If the State wants a crime, the State must prove a crime. That is a statement of FACT. Whether you want to get all bent out of shape and pissy over it or not. That is a statement of fact. What we don't need is intellectually dishonest, misleading, and corrosive arguments like pretending that statements of fact are somehow conspiracy theories because you don't want the attention on the State or its law enforcement because of your personal bias on the issue. Also another statement of fact.

Back
Top Bottom