• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Long hair or short hair?

Mell

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Which do you find more attractive on the opposite sex? Which does your partner have? Which do you have? Does your partner like your hair lenght?

I used to find long hair more attractive on men, than short hair, when I was younger. Now, I dont really have a preference for either.

My boyfriend has hair that goes to a few inches below his shoulders. I have hair that goes to a few inches below my waist. My partner likes my hair length, but would like it more, if it was even longer. He thinks hair dressers are vandals.

I find short hair most attractive on a guy, and always have. My husband has hair within military regs, so no problem. I have long hair, eventhough I did just get about 6 inches cut off, it is still below my shoulders. My husband said he prefers long hair.

I prefer long hair on a woman. I had long hair as a teenager, so I know it is quite a bit of bother, so I don't blame women that choose not to wear it long... but it does look sooooo good. :mrgreen:

Nowadays my head is shaved most of the time. I started going bald in my 30's and decided I'd just as soon jump to the conclusion... at least I'm symmetrical this way. :lamo

Which do you find more attractive on the opposite sex? Which does your partner have? Which do you have? Does your partner like your hair lenght?

I used to find long hair more attractive on men, than short hair, when I was younger. Now, I dont really have a preference for either.

My boyfriend has hair that goes to a few inches below his shoulders. I have hair that goes to a few inches below my waist. My partner likes my hair length, but would like it more, if it was even longer. He thinks hair dressers are vandals.

My husband has had both long hair and short hair.
He's had some very strange haircuts, back in our punk-rock days. He's had dreadlocks, he once had his hair shaved to a quarter-inch and dyed plaid (how I wish I had a picture of that, it was so awesome), he had a "crown of thorns", which was little green spikes in a circle around his head, which was otherwise shaved. When he didn't do the spikes, however, his hair looked ridiculous. I called it his "mad monk" hairdo. :lol:

I've never had long hair. The longest I've ever had my hair was just past shoulder-length.
My hair looks "long" at that length, because it's very thick. I've got enough hair for at least two people. :lol:
I prefer it short- about chin-length. But long in the front. I can't abide bangs, I've got to be able to pull it back off my face.
It grows fast, so I usually get it cut a little shorter than I actually want it, that way I don't have to go back for another haircut in a couple of weeks.

I don't know what length of hair my husband prefers on me, because he won't tell me. He insists he doesn't care. He's always said that. I don't know if it's true; even if he did care, he wouldn't tell me, because he wouldn't want to influence me one way or the other.
I actually don't care how he wears his hair; he looks just as good regardless.
I'm just glad he has conventional hair now, so he can actually work at a legitimate job.
But either way, it doesn't affect his attractiveness, as far as I'm concerned; his goofy unconventionality was what drew me to him in the first place.

I have butt-long hair - my husband loves it. I wear it up most of the time, though, in a bun (yeah, I know - old granny around here) - because it's the only way to keep it off my neck. He loves it when it's down - so I wear it like that when we go out.
He has a high-n-tight - I absolutely love it.

I guess that's all that matters.

Depends on the person.

Some women look better with long, some better with short and then others can do both.
I think body/face shape is most important with hair being aesthetically pleasing.

If you were to poll men, you would probably find that +90% would find long hair more attractive on women. A friend told me this several years ago, so I have been conducting my own unscientific study, since, and have found this to be true. Probably has something to do with male biology, going back, evolutionarily, with long hair on women denoting femininity.

I have butt-long hair - my husband loves it. I wear it up most of the time, though, in a bun (yeah, I know - old granny around here) - because it's the only way to keep it off my neck. He loves it when it's down - so I wear it like that when we go out.
He has a high-n-tight - I absolutely love it.

I guess that's all that matters.

Buns are SEXY!!

Anyways.. I really do not care.. I love someone with a bald or shaved head. One of the hottest women I know? She is sporting a fade buzz thing.

Really it is just hair. No biggie.

I think it depends on the woman, how she carries herself, what she is wearing, and her face/body structure. Its the same with guys.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does it seem that a woman's hair becomes shorter as they get older. They have their long flowing locks in their youth, have a few kids, knock it down to shoulder length, hit their 40s and come down to chin length, keep it there until they are in their mid 50s-60s at which point they assume very short hair, usually done up with curlers until the day they die.

Is it just me, or does it seem that a woman's hair becomes shorter as they get older. They have their long flowing locks in their youth, have a few kids, knock it down to shoulder length, hit their 40s and come down to chin length, keep it there until they are in their mid 50s-60s at which point they assume very short hair, usually done up with curlers until the day they die.

LOL

Yeah - a lot of woman go that way with their hair. My mother did. She had the most drop dead gorgeous hair . . . and hacked it when she had us kids. Semi-grew it out but couldn't stand having to style it (didn't have time, I suppose, with all of us under foot) and when her hair started to go grey she cut it really short and it's been like that - short and dyed. (Grey hair feels different than non-greyed hair. It's stiff and bristly, doesn't style at all.)

I'm 29 - have 4 kids - and will never, ever, cut it off. I cut it into a pixie cut when I was a kid and everyone thought I looked like a boy, made fun of me, so never again! On me it just looks aweful.
Half-long hair (just past the shoulders) is what most people consider to be 'long' - butt long hair? Not eveyrone can actually grow it my length. That type of growth is only possible if your hair folicles live that long. As you age your folicles live not quite as long - so if someone was able to have long hair in the their youth it might not be possible in their later years. It depends on body chemistry.

Also, after having kids, there's a period of hormonal readjustment in which hair tends to just fall out - and a lot of women cut it purely for that reason post children. Really long, falling out hair gets everywhere - there's only so many times a woman can stand pulling it out of the diaper area while caring for her infant before she's had enough :)

That's why I wear it *up* in a funky bun - 1/2 bun, 1/2 pony tail w/ a banana clip.

Is it just me, or does it seem that a woman's hair becomes shorter as they get older.

No, when I was younger, my hair was shorter. Shaved, at one point. Mohawk, etc.

They have their long flowing locks in their youth, have a few kids, knock it down to shoulder length, hit their 40s and come down to chin length, keep it there until they are in their mid 50s-60s at which point they assume very short hair, usually done up with curlers until the day they die.

Fifty years ago, only old ladies had long hair, which they typically wore braided and in a bun.
Pretty much all young women had short hair (often done up in some style, with rollers), from the 1920s until the 1960s.
That's the reason for the phenomenon you're describing: those young women are old now, and they've kept their same hairdos- or some facsimile of them- that they wore in the 1940s and 50s.
Just as, 50 years ago, old women still wore their hair unfashionably long and braided, as they had in their youth at the turn of the century.

At some point, people just quit changing, and become stuck in a certain style, which quickly begins to look dated.
Another way of putting it is, people are typically most comfortable in the styles of their youth, in whatever they grew up with... simply because that's what they're used to. What is familiar, is comfortable.

In the early seventies, my hair was long, pulled back into a pony tail. In the later seventies I wore it as an orange spike. By 1980 it was the same boring mess that sits atop my head now. I occasionally let it get just unruly enough so that I can pull off a crazy old man routine, but Mrs Gardener frowns on that.

All the pics I have seen of her show her with long hair. I like it that way, especially as it is starting to show touches of gray.

I have long hair. My wife's keeps getting shorter as she ages. Mine just gets grayer.

LOL - I misread that to say "prayer"
"Mine just gets prayer" - I was like, good HEAVENS you poor thing!

LOL - I misread that to say "prayer"
"Mine just gets prayer" - I was like, good HEAVENS you poor thing!

That's better than misreading it as "gayer". LOL

No, when I was younger, my hair was shorter. Shaved, at one point. Mohawk, etc.
I'm talking about the "typical" woman. Typically girls do not have mohawks or shaved heads. I do see your point on the older generation sstuff though.

I'm talking about the "typical" woman. Typically girls do not have mohawks or shaved heads.

"Typical girls" in the 80s did not wear their hair long.
Most of them had it short- no more than shoulder-length- and permed, with a sort of poof-ball of bangs on top.
That's my recollection, anyway.
The long straight hair thing didn't make a comeback until the 90s.

I do see your point on the older generation sstuff though.

It's interesting to think that women never- in all the course of human history- wore their hair short until the 1920s.
It was a major, major revolutionary thing.
All across the country, preachers were roaring from the pulpits that the apocalypse was nigh, because no one could tell women and men apart anymore. :mrgreen:
Women also never- in all the course of human history- wore pants until the WW2 era.

When you think about it, these old women in short poodle-perms and polyester pantsuits, who look so dated and unstylish, are actually revolutionaries.
A hundred years ago, they probably would've all been thrown in jail, or into a mental asylum.

Last edited:
I've never dated a woman with hair above her shoulders. I'm simply not attracted to it whatsoever.

It's my only physical pet peeve. Legs, butt, tits...all really don't matter all that much. Something about hair though.

I've never dated a woman with hair above her shoulders. I'm simply not attracted to it whatsoever.

It's my only physical pet peeve. Legs, butt, tits...all really don't matter all that much. Something about hair though.

I'm the opposite; I really only find short-haired women attractive (unless they keep it all pulled back/piled up, all the time).
It often seems to me that long hair is used to hide or detract attention from defects or blemishes.
I can't tell whether somebody's attractive unless I can see their face, body, neck, everything.
Besides, long hair just seems unhygienic to me; it often looks oily on top, frazzled on the ends.
I'm sure it's not actually germy or smelly; it just appears that way to me sometimes.
When a stranger walks by and their hair touches me or the wind blows it into my face, it just makes me recoil in disgust.

well i personal like short hair on a woman and mohawks but i don't mined if they have it long its really not that big of a deal to me

I prefer myself with shoulder-length hair, and I prefer my guy with minimal/shaved hair. I love high & tight on a man. LOVE IT. My boyfriend has a shaved head, and now, men with hair longer than an inch look effeminate to me.

I had hair down to the middle of my back in highschool, but shaved it (for a reason I do not remember) after I graduated.

My wife has seen pictures of me with long hair (I shaved it before I met her) and she does not like it. However, other people really do. The split of people who do and don't is about 50/50.

Personally though, I will never grow my hair long again since there are economic considerations that I must deal with (I live in a conservative area of the country and these people are not tolerant about such minor things). Overall though, for guys or girls, I don't care how long their hair is, as long as its clean, not a tangled mess, and there is no mullet or dread locks.

Back
Top Bottom