• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"long gun"

SBu

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I don't really keep up with the gun debate stuff a lot because it usually involves me getting threatened with death by "pro-gun" people or told that I endorse others' deaths by "gun control" people.

That being said, where and when did this term start to get used? I've heard it several times over the last couple weeks, and I don't remember hearing it before referring to personal firearms. Why is it being used may be another question.

I don't really keep up with the gun debate stuff a lot because it usually involves me getting threatened with death by "pro-gun" people or told that I endorse others' deaths by "gun control" people.

That being said, where and when did this term start to get used? I've heard it several times over the last couple weeks, and I don't remember hearing it before referring to personal firearms. Why is it being used may be another question.

I actually haven't heard that.

I actually haven't heard that.

I've just heard it recently coming out of CNN. Heard the term several times and began thinking that I've never heard the term before too. Wonder if it's a push to create a new categorical term for personal firearms.

Been used in Canada for a while now

>

"Long Gun" is terminology that has been around for a long, long time. Long Gun is usually used to describe a rifle type of weapon braced against the shoulder since these also tend to have longer barrels in contrast to the "Hand Gun" which is held in the hand and has shorter barrels.

Long gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>>>>

>

"Long Gun" is terminology that has been around for a long, long time. Long Gun is usually used to describe a rifle type of weapon braced against the shoulder since these also tend to have longer barrels in contrast to the "Hand Gun" which is held in the hand and has shorter barrels.

Long gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>>>>
So it's just a term referring to "other than handgun"? basically

It's just a term used to differentiate between rifles etc, as opposed to handguns. It's a very old term.

So it's just a term referring to "other than handgun"? basically
I heard that too today and I raised my eyebrow. Maybe they are trying to use a more generic and easily identified label since they were getting the assault rifle/assault weapon label wrong over and over (Easy to do, but it's news...you know). It may also be a war of words. If they have been pushing to ban weapons OTHER than shotguns because they are a common hunting weapon, then talking about how the killer used a shotgun might hurt their anti-gun position, so they go one step up in category and call it a "long gun", which may in fact include all sorts of rifles they want banned. And don't think that's conspiratorial, there are popular political books on exactly the topic of word usage, and very high paid consultants that help them with it. Hell, even I do that any time a message matters.

I heard that too today and I raised my eyebrow. Maybe they are trying to use a more generic and easily identified label since they were getting the assault rifle/assault weapon label wrong over and over (Easy to do, but it's news...you know). It may also be a war of words. If they have been pushing to ban weapons OTHER than shotguns because they are a common hunting weapon, then talking about how the killer used a shotgun might hurt their anti-gun position, so they go one step up in category and call it a "long gun", which may in fact include all sorts of rifles they want banned. And don't think that's conspiratorial, there are popular political books on exactly the topic of word usage, and very high paid consultants that help them with it. Hell, even I do that any time a message matters.

That's what I was wondering too. Maybe the term has been around a while, but hearing it come up was strange unless it's a rewording/rebranding kind of thing.

Exactly, and they are probably trying to improve their credibility with people who have a good grasp on the differences between guns. If they can just use a catch-all term, rather than mistakenly referring to a shotgun as a rifle, or a single shot as a semi-auto, it gives them much more room for not knowing what they are talking about, in the eyes of the public.

They were referring to what some said was another shooter (suspect) with a long gun. I wouod say they were talking about a shotgun or hunting rifle being that an AR-15 [or similar weapon] isn't that long.

But, when you listen to CNN, you get burned.

AR-15: CNN, Daily News Have Already Blown Their Gun Control Narrative

Back
Top Bottom