• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LONG COVID and ongoing New Cases says it is a mistake to relax mandates = government elected officials are sending the wrong message

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A mild SARS-CoV-2 infection can cause long COVID. And with the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant—which often results in milder disease outcomes—many patients may be concerned about developing long COVID.

It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering—even if they weren’t very sick in the first place. This leaves many COVID long-haulers with questions about symptoms and what to do. One physician aims to clear up confusion about long-haul COVID-19 and what patients can expect.

Long COVID—or post-COVID conditions—is a wide range of new, returning or ongoing health problems people may experience more than four weeks after being first infected with SARS-CoV-2. Even people who did not have any symptoms can experience long COVID, which can present as different types and combinations of health problems and can range in lengths of time, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At the June 2021 AMA Special Meeting, delegates adopted policy to support “the development of an ICD-10 code or family of codes to recognize Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (‘PASC’ or ‘long COVID’) and other novel post-viral syndromes as a distinct diagnosis.” Read about the AMA’s support for more resources to help millions living with long COVID.

The AMA’s What Doctors Wish Patients Knew™ series provides physicians with a platform to share what they want patients to understand about today’s health care headlines, especially throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

For this installment, AMA member Devang Sanghavi, MD, took the time to discuss what patients need to know about long-haul COVID. Dr. Sanghavi is an intensivist and medical director of the medical intensive care unit (ICU) at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida Since summer of 2020, he has seen about 100 patients with long COVID, many of whom take weeks to recover.

Kaine, Markey & Duckworth Introduce Bill to Help People ...​

https://www.kaine.senate.gov › press-releases › kaine-m...

Mar 2, 2022 — Legislation Would Improve Access To Resources And Education For People Living With Long COVID. WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Senator Tim ...

Kaine describes '24/7′ tingling sensation from long COVID-19​

https://thehill.com › homenews › senate › 596687-kain...

Mar 3, 2022 — Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) detailed the ongoing COVID-19 symptoms he continues to experience two years after becoming infected, during an ...

Virginia senator says he has long Covid and introduces a bill ...​

https://www.cnn.com › politics › tim-kaine-long-covid

Mar 3, 2022 — Tim Kaine of Virginia, who says he has long Covid, introduced a bill this week to help those who have long-term symptoms from the disease.

Sen. Tim Kaine, Who Has Long COVID, Introduces New Bill​

https://time.com › Health › COVID-19

Mar 3, 2022 — U.S. Senator Tim Kaine suffers from Long COVID. He recently introduced legislation to help other Americans struggling with the condition.

Kaine introduces bill to research and combat long covid, after ...​

https://www.washingtonpost.com › 2022/03/02 › kaine-...

Mar 2, 2022 — Sen. Tim Kaine got covid-19 in the spring of 2020, and nearly two years later he still has mild symptoms.

Sen. Tim Kaine Opens Up About His Experience With Long ...​

https://www.youtube.com › watch

Mar 17, 2022 — He also speaks with Michel about his struggle with long COVID-19, and a proposed bill that would fund research into the mysterious syndrome ...

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, With Long COVID Himself, Introduces ...​

https://www.nbcdfw.com › news › politics › kaine-with...

Mar 3, 2022 — The Comprehensive Access to Resources and Education (CARE) for Long COVID Act would centralize data about patient experiences and fund research ...

Tim Kaine on Bout With Long COVID: 'It's Personal and It's ...​

https://www.usnews.com › News › Health News

Mar 24, 2021 — During a Senate health committee hearing earlier this month, U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine made a surprising admission: Long after contracting COVID-19, ...

Kaine, with long COVID himself, introduces research bill - ABC ...​

https://abcnews.go.com › Health › wireStory › kaine-lo...

Mar 3, 2022 — Nearly two years after getting COVID-19, Virginia Sen. ... Long COVID Act would centralize data about patient experiences and fund research ...

Kaine describes '24/7′ tingling sensation from long COVID-19

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) detailed the ongoing COVID-19 symptoms he continues to experience two years after becoming infected, during an interview with The Washington Post published this week.

“I tell people it feels like all my nerves have had like five cups of coffee,” Kaine told the Post, describing it as a “24/7” tingling sensation.

Kaine first developed flu-like symptoms in March 2020. Though COVID-19 screenings were not available at the time, the Virginia senator later tested positive for coronavirus antibodies in May, indicating a prior infection. Most of his symptoms were mild, but Kaine said his nerve tingling never stopped.

After getting an MRI, a doctor told Kaine that everything seemed fine.

“I know how my body felt before I got COVID, I know how it felt when I got COVID, and it’s not gone back to where it was before,” he said. “That gives me an understanding for people who talk about these long COVID symptoms.”

On Wednesday, Kaine introduced a bill with fellow Democratic Sens. Ed Markey (Mass.) and Tammy Duckworth (Ill.) aimed at helping people who live with “long COVID” symptoms.

“This legislation will help improve our understanding of and response to long COVID by expanding resources for those dealing with the long-term impacts of the virus,” Kaine said when announcing the bill. “As a member of the Senate [Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions] Committee, I will continue working to ensure greater access to critical tools to keep our communities healthy and safe.”

The bill, called the CARE for Long COVID Act, would centralize information on long COVID-19 and increase public awareness of the condition as well as possible treatments.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes long COVID-19 as the ongoing experience of coronavirus symptoms for four or more weeks after initial infection. According to the agency, the condition can occur in people who did not have symptoms after their initial infection.

Symptoms of long COVID-19 can include fatigue, fever, heart palpitations, brain fog or a change in senses such as smell and taste. As the Post noted, millions of COVID-19 recoverees may experience lasting symptoms.

“That’s going to put a burden on our health-care system,” Kaine told the newspaper. “It’s also going to require some research and some understanding, compassion, for people dealing with these symptoms — adjustments and accommodations in the workplace. There’s going to be a lot of consequences of this.”

https://thehill.com › homenews › senate › 596687-kain...
Mar 3, 2022 — Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) detailed the ongoing COVID-19 symptoms he continues to experience two years after becoming infected, during an ...

Let me know if you want my mask allocations, boosters, etc etc. Tell them I said it was OK.

A mild SARS-CoV-2 infection can cause long COVID. And with the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant—which often results in milder disease outcomes—many patients may be concerned about developing long COVID.

It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering—even if they weren’t very sick in the first place. This leaves many COVID long-haulers with questions about symptoms and what to do. One physician aims to clear up confusion about long-haul COVID-19 and what patients can expect.

Long COVID—or post-COVID conditions—is a wide range of new, returning or ongoing health problems people may experience more than four weeks after being first infected with SARS-CoV-2. Even people who did not have any symptoms can experience long COVID, which can present as different types and combinations of health problems and can range in lengths of time, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At the June 2021 AMA Special Meeting, delegates adopted policy to support “the development of an ICD-10 code or family of codes to recognize Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (‘PASC’ or ‘long COVID’) and other novel post-viral syndromes as a distinct diagnosis.” Read about the AMA’s support for more resources to help millions living with long COVID.

The AMA’s What Doctors Wish Patients Knew™ series provides physicians with a platform to share what they want patients to understand about today’s health care headlines, especially throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

For this installment, AMA member Devang Sanghavi, MD, took the time to discuss what patients need to know about long-haul COVID. Dr. Sanghavi is an intensivist and medical director of the medical intensive care unit (ICU) at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida Since summer of 2020, he has seen about 100 patients with long COVID, many of whom take weeks to recover.
Long Covid is a real thing but I don’t think anyone has a good handle on the prevalence, severity or duration. Your 2nd paragraph is a typical example “It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering”. What does that actually mean? 10-30% is a large range and those “may” experience long Covid symptoms - not “will”. That means the actual number is lower, maybe much lower. What it basically translates to is “somewhere between 1 and 30% of people have long covid”. And that doesn’t even begin to speak to severity or duration. Having a persistent cough for a couple of weeks sucks buts it radically different from being so fatigued that you can’t get out of bed for 6 months.

The other issue is that these are self-reported at least some of those people have symptoms that may be completely unrelated to Covid.

The fear is strong in this one

What mandates? We don't have any, and the ones we had were not followed or enforced.

Your thread title mentions mandates, but none of the quotes you provide mention any mandates. So, exactly what mandates should not be relaxed because of the possiblity of long covid?

We are a year past when mandates should have ended.

Treating an entire country as a 2nd-grade class is pointless and demeaning. The mandates did not contain the spread of disease so you cannot even argue necessity.

If only there was a vaccine...

Another problem is that COVID, long or not, is likely being undercounted. When the omicron variant was raging in my area, it shut down about half the urgent care centers in my immediate vicinity, and the others were basically saying 'Don't come unless it's really bad.' The over-the-counter tests you get at CVS or Walgreens are inaccurate, with false negatives much of the time.

I suspect I got a very mild case of the omicron variant right around the New Year. I had to go into work that last week of December and sure enough, people in the office were walking around with a light cough. On, say, that Monday one person was coughing. The next day it was two, and I remember thinking "****, here we go!" And sure enough, by the end of the week, I woke up with some post-nasal drip and a scratchy, phlegmy throat. No cough, fortunately. At the time, though, I wasn't initially convinced it was an infection because the symptoms were really super mild and went away within 24 hours. I've had regular seasonal colds that were much worse.

But the real 'fun' began days later when I noticed that I started getting a terrible headache when exercising. It's honestly one of the worst headaches I've had in my life and I don't even get that many headaches. I started searching for 'migraines' on Google and found that it likely wasn't a migraine. My next search was on 'aneurysms' but the pain went away not long after I began Googling. The pain came and went every time I exercised. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I figured I'd check my blood pressure, and that's when I knew something was up. It was 30 points higher than normal! The more I Googled, the more I realized it was likely post-COVID syndrome, which can vary wildly from one person to the next.

In the time since, I've had stretches of days in which I've had head pressure - not so much headaches but a relentless pressure all over my head. I definitely sense that there's intra-cranial blood pressure abnormalities from time to time. I've had occasional brain fog as well. There are some days when the head pressure is distracting and I have to pause what I'm doing until it passes. I thought it was going away in late February but it came back again two or so weeks ago. I suspect that changes in diet and lifestyle are the keys to recovery, which will probably take months. As bad as this is, I realize there are lots of people who had it much worse. I'll take the head pressure over being toe tagged and buried.

I don’t know what the correct solution is, but I’ll just say this: when my state had a mask mandate, my county had 9 average cases per 100k. Since the mask mandate was lifted, that number has nearly tripled, and now my county is one of the two worst in my state.

Now, is 24/100k bad? Should the mask mandate have been left in place? I’m not qualified to answer either of those questions. All I’m saying is that the cause and effect seem clear to me, and it does suggest to me that we’ll see another wave.

Long Covid is a real thing but I don’t think anyone has a good handle on the prevalence, severity or duration. Your 2nd paragraph is a typical example “It is estimated that anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients might experience long COVID after recovering”. What does that actually mean? 10-30% is a large range and those “may” experience long Covid symptoms - not “will”. That means the actual number is lower, maybe much lower. What it basically translates to is “somewhere between 1 and 30% of people have long covid”. And that doesn’t even begin to speak to severity or duration. Having a persistent cough for a couple of weeks sucks buts it radically different from being so fatigued that you can’t get out of bed for 6 months.

The other issue is that these are self-reported at least some of those people have symptoms that may be completely unrelated to Covid.
nonsense

Your thread title mentions mandates, but none of the quotes you provide mention any mandates. So, exactly what mandates should not be relaxed because of the possiblity of long covid?
all of them ......COVID 19 and the variants are not gone.

A one word answer is a not a refutation. In truth it is the definition of nonsense.

If you have actual data instead of vague statements let’s see it.

I don’t know what the correct solution is, but I’ll just say this: when my state had a mask mandate, my county had 9 average cases per 100k. Since the mask mandate was lifted, that number has nearly tripled, and now my county is one of the two worst in my state.

Now, is 24/100k bad? Should the mask mandate have been left in place? I’m not qualified to answer either of those questions. All I’m saying is that the cause and effect seem clear to me, and it does suggest to me that we’ll see another wave.
Covid is so prevalent that case counts are wildly inaccurate and completely useless. Hospitalizations and deaths matter.

Current hospitalizations are at the lowest levels of the pandemic about 20,000 people - and that number includes people who simply tested positive but were admitted for something else.

Current death rate is about 2 people per million per day again pretty much the lowest level of the pandemic despite a whole lot more people being infected.

Back
Top Bottom