• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

london mayor suspended

Gardener

free market communist
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
26,657
Reaction score
15,927
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Red Ken is an antisemite if there ever was one.

Just goes to show that there is often little difference between the uber left and the uber right. Both are based upon hatred of the same target.
 

Red_Dave

Libertarian socialist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
6,877
Reaction score
1,714
Location
Staffs, England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Gardener said:
Red Ken is an antisemite if there ever was one.

Just goes to show that there is often little difference between the uber left and the uber right. Both are based upon hatred of the same target.

Wouldnt it be slightly tricky to be a marxist and an anti-semite at the same time? due to the fact that karl marx was jewish?
 

Gardener

free market communist
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
26,657
Reaction score
15,927
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Red_Dave said:
Wouldnt it be slightly tricky to be a marxist and an anti-semite at the same time? due to the fact that karl marx was jewish?


Care to try again, this time using some logic and intelligence?
 

Red_Dave

Libertarian socialist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
6,877
Reaction score
1,714
Location
Staffs, England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Gardener said:
Care to try again, this time using some logic and intelligence?

Care to adress my points rather than personally attacking me? My point was perfectly valid. A follower of a jewish thinker is not likely to be anti-semetic. Now if you wanted to be conventional what you could have done was explain what flaw you saw in that point but clearly you are not willing/capable of doing that.
 
Last edited:

Gardener

free market communist
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
26,657
Reaction score
15,927
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Red_Dave said:
Care to adress my points rather than personally attacking me? My point was perfectly valid. A follower of a jewish thinker is not likely to be anti-semetic. Now if you wanted to be conventional what you could have done was explain what flaw you saw in that point but clearly you are not willing/capable of doing that.


No personal attack, as it was merely a plea to you to show that which you had not shown.

If you think that the fact that Marx was born into a Jewish family has any bearing on whether or not Livingstone is antisemitic, you are failing to apply logic at even the most rudimentary level. You might as well say that Nazis are artistic by nature because Hitler painted post cards, and your statement is so patently sily as to not be worth the time it takes to refute it.
 

Red_Dave

Libertarian socialist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
6,877
Reaction score
1,714
Location
Staffs, England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Gardener said:
No personal attack, as it was merely a plea to you to show that which you had not shown.

If you think that the fact that Marx was born into a Jewish family has any bearing on whether or not Livingstone is antisemitic, you are failing to apply logic at even the most rudimentary level. You might as well say that Nazis are artistic by nature because Hitler painted post cards, and your statement is so patently sily as to not be worth the time it takes to refute it.

.By being a marxist Ken Livingstone is showing admiration for the ideas of a jew he wouldnt do this where he anti-semetic. He wasnt insulting the journalist because he was a jew. He was insulting the journalist because he worked for the evening standard.I dont see how the fact the journalist was a jew makes him immune from being insulted.
 
Last edited:

Gardener

free market communist
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
26,657
Reaction score
15,927
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Red_Dave said:
.By being a marxist Ken Livingstone is showing admiration for the ideas of a jew he wouldnt do this where he anti-semetic.


I see. If the simple minded label you attach to a polititian places him in the same group as a dead man who renounced Judaism nearly 200 years ago and whose virulent hatred for the religion of his fathers resulted in the venemous treatise "A World Without Jews", then he couldn't possibly be antisemitic.

Good one.
 

Willoughby

Active member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
OK stop bickering. just play nicely
My views:
Is ken really a marxist: no
Is this undemocratic: yes
 

Red_Dave

Libertarian socialist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
6,877
Reaction score
1,714
Location
Staffs, England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Gardener said:
I see. If the simple minded label you attach to a polititian places him in the same group as a dead man who renounced Judaism nearly 200 years ago and whose virulent hatred for the religion of his fathers resulted in the venemous treatise "A World Without Jews", then he couldn't possibly be antisemitic.

Good one.

Well i would define Anti-semtism as hatred of a race rather than rejection of a religeon. If a christianot a muslim deicided to reject his/her religeon you wouldnt be complaining about how prejudiced they where. Marx origionally decided to reject judaism when he became an atheist, not out of any racial predudice. As for "A World Without Jews" see http://www.marxmail.org/faq/antisemitism.htm Its not as anti-semtic as it sounds. By calling Ken livingstone a marxist I am not attaching a narrow minded label that places him in the same group as a jew, im merely stateing the fact that he is a self-proclaimed follower of a jews ideas. How can one follow someones ideas yet at the same time be racist towards them? What evidence is there that he is anti-semtic anyway? The remarks he made to that journalist certainly where not.
 

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,688
Reaction score
631
Location
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I don't why he is complaining about his suspension, he just got a month's paid vacation. Pretty sweet if you ask me!! :2razz:
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,002
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
From the article in the OP:
The incident occurred last February as Mr Livingstone left a party marking the 20 years since former culture secretary Chris Smith became Britain's first openly gay MP. In a tape-recorded exchange, he asked Mr Finegold whether he had ever been a "German war criminal".

On being told that the reporter objected to the remark and was Jewish, the mayor said: "Ah, well you might be but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?"
What the hell are they talking about? Sorry for being dense, but that makes zero sense. Who's Mr Finegold? Why did Livingstone ask the question?
 

Red_Dave

Libertarian socialist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
6,877
Reaction score
1,714
Location
Staffs, England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
GarzaUK said:
I don't why he is complaining about his suspension, he just got a month's paid vacation. Pretty sweet if you ask me!! :2razz:

That reminds me, anyone know who is in charge while Livingstone is suspended?
 

Volker

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
6,592
Reaction score
141
Location
Germany
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
shuamort said:
From the article in the OP:

What the hell are they talking about? Sorry for being dense, but that makes zero sense. Who's Mr Finegold? Why did Livingstone ask the question?
Mr. Finegold works for Evening Standard. The publishing company, who owns Evening Standard, is known for the Daily Mail newspaper. This newspaper was very pro-nazi in the 30ties. It's not pro-nazi anymore, but it's still far right, I think. This might be the reason, Mr. Livingstone asked this question.
 

Volker

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
6,592
Reaction score
141
Location
Germany
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
You're welcome :smile:
 
Top Bottom