• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

London fire live updates: Blaze engulfs apartment block

The owner should be put in jail

Whether true or not is unclear, but someone said on tv that it was owned by the city. So Khan goes to jail?

But may be it was fake news.

Maybe because most large buildings have sprinkler systems and smoke detectors that work.

My guess is that whoever owns this building will be paying a lot in damages.

This shouldn't have happened.

On BBC someone was just saying that it was a Counsil holding. That would be government, I believe probably London. Khan can call his friend in DC. He was a property developmer in another life and might have some useful pointers for London' s other properties. ;)

The owner - Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organization - is a municipal corporation. This building, like various others, is a public housing project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_and_Chelsea_TMO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenant_management_organisation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

In about minute two of an interview on BBC Khan just pointed out that not he but others are responsible for this. But he certainly cut a bella figura doing it. He's as good as President Clinton was.

This is the company that did the refurbishment and recladding of the building that seems to have gone up like paper. Ryton

Who knows if the refrigerator was actually faulty - this building has had a rash of problems related to power surges caused by faulty wiring, with people having previously reported that their appliances were going up in smoke.

The neighbour to the flat that housed the refrigerator was interviewed. He was woken by the guy whose flat may be the centre saying his fridge had just blown up.

Interesting that terrorists have not to my memory employed this method of attack.

Luckily the first thoughts of neighbours was to bring water, clothing and food to residents.

Whether true or not is unclear, but someone said on tv that it was owned by the city. So Khan goes to jail?

Are you just being obtuse? Someone posted that it was Westminster and Kensington Council. London has sereral metropolitan councils, each one responsible for housing and maintenance in their own areas. Anyhow, people need to be treated and buried before your conspiracy type rubbish.

This is the company that did the refurbishment and recladding of the building that seems to have gone up like paper. Ryton

The neighbour to the flat that housed the refrigerator was interviewed. He was woken by the guy whose flat may be the centre saying his fridge had just blown up.

Luckily the first thoughts of neighbours was to bring water, clothing and food to residents.

Are you just being obtuse? Someone posted that it was Westminster and Kensington Council. London has sereral metropolitan councils, each one responsible for housing and maintenance in their own areas. Anyhow, people need to be treated and buried before your conspiracy type rubbish.

Khan was certainly quick to get to the "conspiracy type rubbish" on BBC and pointed at those to be investigated. I guess it's important that he avoids responsibility. And I will admit that he is well spoken and quite the smooth operator. He's almost as good as Teflon Bill and knows that defense must be quick and while the fire still burns, so to speak. Missing that instant of creating the spin makes the difference of a career and disgrace.

Last edited:
In about minute two of an interview on BBC Khan just pointed out that not he but others are responsible for this. But he certainly cut a bella figura doing it. He's as good as President Clinton was.

Here's the video of that BBC interview with London Mayor Sadiq Khan on this tragedy:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/874925022456029193

Anyway, there will have to be a serious inquiry over how this situation could get to such a sorry state.

I bet their business orders are going to take a hit.

I'm not doubting whether the refrigerator blew up - I'm just pointing out that the building has had a rash of power surge problems in the past due to faulty electrical wiring, which have previously led to appliances suffering overloads. So the refrigerator could have been in perfect working order, but blown up due to an electrical power surge, as has occurred in that building in the past.

Very sad to wake up this morning and see this online.

My thoughts go out to a tenants of the building.

I've read that this building was built in the 1970s and was being remodeled with a new exterior and building wide heating system. Residents complained that piles of debris and garbage resulting from the renovation (including piles of mattresses) built up inside the building causing a fire hazard and exits were blocked. Sadly it sounds like their fears have been realized.

I also heard that sprinkler and other safety systems were either not upgraded or not functioning properly.

Here's the video of that BBC interview with London Mayor Sadiq Khan on this tragedy:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/874925022456029193

Anyway, there will have to be a serious inquiry over how this situation could get to such a sorry state.

It would be important to go to the top. But it will be someone in the management company and possibly an other person working for the council. It will not be allowed to reach those that refused the funds and didn't check to make sure of the safety. And as Khan said, we will get to the bottom of what caused this horrifying fire. No talk of the top there. ;)

The company who did the work only got away with what the city officials, engineers, and QA inspectors allowed them to.

The buck stops at city hall.

Meanwhile, the victims have to suffer through the gross incompetence.

Very sad to wake up this morning and see this online.

My thoughts go out to a tenants of the building.

That was a shocking picture to see this morning. Those residents didn't have a chance.

I don't think it would be safe for firefighters to do any recovery of bodies now that the fire is out. More info will come out in the days to follow but it appears there couldn't have been any fire suppression system on.

I don't care who it is. If it is found that this has been ignored as other posts are implying, then yes, they should be held criminally responsible.

london-fire.png

Here is a live view of it:

I do not recall ever seeing an entire building that is remotely this tall (27 stories) almost completely on fire.

Actually there are a handful of tall buildings that have been fully engulfed in flames yet did not collapse. At least one was put back into service. Check out the Windsor Hotel fire, I think here in the US. Just a few years ago the new tower in Dubai was significantly in flames. Around the world there have been several.

Well, these guys look bushed:

DCRcQlqWsAATEdU.jpg

I don't care who it is. If it is found that this has been ignored as other posts are implying, then yes, they should be held criminally responsible.

From the Daily Mail, which is providing brilliant photos:

Grenfell Action Group said: 'Watching breaking news about the Grenfell Tower fire catastrophe. Too soon to even guess at numbers of casualties and fatalities.

'We have posted numerous warnings in recent years about the very poor fire safety standards at Grenfell Tower and elsewhere in Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC).

'All our warnings fell on deaf ears. This was inevitable and just a matter of time.'

The group had been posting about their concerns of tower block's safety regularly calling for it to be torn down before it went up in flames in the early hours of this morning in White City.

Read more: London fire: 6 confirmed dead after Grenfell Tower blaze | Daily Mail Online

Ironically, and in response to Post 31, there are reports that fasting Muslims observing Ramadan were still awake and were among the unsung heroes trying to rescue others.

This is why fire codes are important.

Khan was certainly quick to get to the "conspiracy type rubbish" on BBC and pointed at those to be investigated. I guess it's important that he avoids responsibility. And I will admit that he is well spoken and quite the smooth operator. He's almost as good as Teflon Bill and knows that defense must be quick and while the fire still burns, so to speak. Missing that instant of creating the spin makes the difference of a career and disgrace.

This is gobbledegook.

This is the executive of Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation who look after the buildings and order upgrades and maintenance.

You wish to blame Khan then fine, that would be as stupid as blaming Trump for a problem in an individual US state which is accountable to its local Senate or govt.

This is gobbledegook.

This is the executive of Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation who look after the buildings and order upgrades and maintenance.

You wish to blame Khan then fine, that would be as stupid as blaming Trump for a problem in an individual US state which is accountable to its local Senate or govt.

The question of the maintenance team is superficial. But Khan's supporter and the Labor Party will deflect responsibility in that direction. That is sure. But the inhabitants were poor and the City needs cash for other things. But that is what happens, when private goods are produced by public enterprise. There are conflicts of interest and the situation is intransparent. The results are often worse that here, but usually not so spectacular.

I expect you will find evidence of kick backs and bribes to building inspectors from the company doing the actual maintenance work. Combined with cut backs to the building operator's funding

The question of the maintenance team is superficial. But Khan's supporter and the Labor Party will deflect responsibility in that direction. That is sure. But the inhabitants were poor and the City needs cash for other things. But that is what happens, when private goods are produced by public enterprise. There are conflicts of interest and the situation is intransparent. The results are often worse that here, but usually not so spectacular.

OK, enough of this nonsense. If you think Khan is responsible then you're going to show how he is at the top of the chain linked to this building.

Put up or shut up.

It would be important to go to the top. But it will be someone in the management company and possibly an other person working for the council. It will not be allowed to reach those that refused the funds and didn't check to make sure of the safety. And as Khan said, we will get to the bottom of what caused this horrifying fire. No talk of the top there. ;)

Some of those responsible would be Khan's predecessor Boris Johnson's laxity over regulation, and many of his Tory colleagues, such as these:

DCSO6x5XYAAM105.jpg:large

My heart is broken by this... puts the terror threat in perspective when you see what we can do to our own

Back
Top Bottom