• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Logical" people stack the deck against Death Penalty

Gandhi>Bush said:
How about proper education to dispel such monstrous myths? That sounds like a good idea. But then again I'm maybe a little too logical...

Hey that sounds like an egotistical American . . . . have the uneducated third world country people who believe superstitions over fliers from aid workers . . . .to just believe the fliers . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Navy Pride said:
Wow now we are attacking the Pope........Have you know shame?

Why, should the Pope be above criticicsm?

Navy Pride said:
Never mind I know your real agenda....Its because the RCC teaches that gay sex is a mortal sin......

No. My real agenda is that the Vatican spreads wicked lies about condoms, thus contributing to avoidable deaths.

Navy Pride said:
The RCC teaches abstinence fron sex until your married.If the people in Africa had practiced this there would have never been a problem........

And if more people who lived in Africa had used condoms there would be less of an AIDS problem there. Catholicism is based on fiction. The efficacy of condoms (which is less than 100%, but very very high) is based on science.

Naughty Nurse said:
And if more people who lived in Africa had used condoms there would be less of an AIDS problem there. Catholicism is based on fiction. The efficacy of condoms (which is less than 100%, but very very high) is based on science.
I know you love for the Catholic Church is, shall we say...a "touch" below average...but please don't blame the religion for what's happening in Africa....

This morning's NYTimes has an interesting article about Aids in Africa. Entitled, AIDS Now Compels Africa to Challenge Widows' 'Cleansing, the article shows a clear example of how myths and belief systems retain a hold in a culture even when those rituals are detrimental to the people. In the African countries of Malawi, Zambia and Kenya, there is a tradition of "sexual cleansing" in which the widow must, as part of her husband's funeral rites, have sex with one of his relatives or a "professional cleanser". Tradition states that if this is not done, to severe the tie between husband and wife, then the husband's spirit will haunt the village and the widow will be blamed for any sicknesses or deaths that occur. The ritual is being blamed for increasing the spread of AIDS among these people.

Condoms cannot be used in these rituals as they may invoke some other kind of spirit. Widows are forced into these sexual situations become of tradition and those who refuse are considered "impure". The ritual sex occurs often against the widow's objections, resulting in forced intercourse (rape). The practice, the article states, is considered a "rural tradition" and although governments such as Zambia have attempted to discourage sexual cleansing, it still persists. As one AIDS worker stated, "We learned this when we were born. People ask, Why should we change?"

http://www.mythandculture.com/weblog/2005/05/when-myths-collide-with-realities.html

Navy Pride said:
Its because the RCC teaches that gay sex is a mortal sin......

However, its own priests can disregard this rule when they spot a corking 7 year old.

Shamgar said:
Hey that sounds like an egotistical American . . . . have the uneducated third world country people who believe superstitions over fliers from aid workers . . . .to just believe the fliers . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the literacy rate like in Africa? Good thinking with those fliers...

Naughty Nurse said:
And when an innocent person is wrongfully executed you cannot reverse it.

Can you name me a name of an innocent person that has died from the death penalty?

satanloveslibs said:
Can you name me a name of an innocent person that has died from the death penalty?
Court systems do not find people "innocent", they just find them not guilty.

I'm very torn on the issue. I see that death would fit the crime, but we are not God. Like abortion, it is not our right to decide when a person to die. That is for God to do, not us. Plus a life sentence is cheaper. Then again why should they deserve to live when they took that right away from someone else. ahhhhhhh!

cnredd said:
I know you love for the Catholic Church is, shall we say...a "touch" below average...but please don't blame the religion for what's happening in Africa....

This morning's NYTimes has an interesting article about Aids in Africa. Entitled, AIDS Now Compels Africa to Challenge Widows' 'Cleansing, the article shows a clear example of how myths and belief systems retain a hold in a culture even when those rituals are detrimental to the people. In the African countries of Malawi, Zambia and Kenya, there is a tradition of "sexual cleansing" in which the widow must, as part of her husband's funeral rites, have sex with one of his relatives or a "professional cleanser". Tradition states that if this is not done, to severe the tie between husband and wife, then the husband's spirit will haunt the village and the widow will be blamed for any sicknesses or deaths that occur. The ritual is being blamed for increasing the spread of AIDS among these people.

Condoms cannot be used in these rituals as they may invoke some other kind of spirit. Widows are forced into these sexual situations become of tradition and those who refuse are considered "impure". The ritual sex occurs often against the widow's objections, resulting in forced intercourse (rape). The practice, the article states, is considered a "rural tradition" and although governments such as Zambia have attempted to discourage sexual cleansing, it still persists. As one AIDS worker stated, "We learned this when we were born. People ask, Why should we change?"

http://www.mythandculture.com/weblog/2005/05/when-myths-collide-with-realities.html
Traditions such as this are certiantley a factor in the AIDS problem of Africa, but so is the Vatican's condom policy. Last I heard the Catholic church has a decent following in Africa.

Ok mister, can you name me a "not guilty" person that has gotten the death penaly

satanloveslibs said:
Ok mister, can you name me a "not guilty" person that has gotten the death penaly

Try this:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=6&did=111#executed

There seem to be quite a few cases where there was quite a lot of doubt about the guilt, or not, of the alleged criminal.

Of course it's difficult to guess what the truth might be in such cases - and that in itself should be a powerful argument against the death penalty.

Back
Top Bottom