• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Local New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

buck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.
The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.
Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name.

Similar to the last poll done on the subject, it appears that white people are far more offended by the team name than the 90% of Native Americans that don't care. Is this more of that white privilege I keep hearing about?

Anyway, this doesn't change my opinion... I never had an issue with the name. Curious, though, does this change anyone's opinion here?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Similar to the last poll done on the subject, it appears that white people are far more offended by the team name than the 90% of Native Americans that don't care. Is this more of that white privilege I keep hearing about?

Anyway, this doesn't change my opinion... I never had an issue with the name. Curious, though, does this change anyone's opinion here?

Now you can keep calling them redskin as I do.But I never do that to insult them ,just a habit

Hush, that does not help the PC police run around and tell us who is offended (even if it is not very factual.)

Of course they don't. They never did. Liberals like to tell people what they should be upset about, and insist they be upset about it whether they are or not.

These are the issues that serve to distract from the really hard ones that they can't, or are afraid to, confront.

The left doesn't care if it actually offends anyone, they think it should and therefore, they're going to pretend that it does, whether it actually does or not. Political correctness isn't about reality, it's about ideological purity.

There are an estimated 10-20 million native Americans that live in the US and this poll only asked 25k. Also how many of the people they asked lived on a reservation?

I mean 56% of the people they asked are not even enrolled in a tribe. It could be your mate who is 1/8 Cherokee.

Of course they don't. They never did. Liberals like to tell people what they should be upset about, and insist they be upset about it whether they are or not.

These are the issues that serve to distract from the really hard ones that they can't, or are afraid to, confront.

You are criticizing liberals for telling other people what they think, by telling liberals what they think?

You are criticizing liberals for telling other people what they think, by telling liberals what they think?

Liberals don't wander off the reservation, unlike some Native Americans apparently.

There are an estimated 10-20 million native Americans that live in the US and this poll only asked 25k. Also how many of the people they asked lived on a reservation?

I work about 10 miles from a reservation and the two NFL teams you see the most on cars from the res. are the Seahawks and the Redskins.

It's called a "statistical sample" and 25,000 out of 20 million is a pretty accurate sample size... :roll:

What difference does it make if they live on or off the reservation???

I mean 56% of the people they asked are not even enrolled in a tribe. It could be your mate who is 1/8 Cherokee.

From the OP:

Across every demographic group, the vast majority of Native Americans say the team’s name does not offend them, including...... 90 percent of those enrolled in a tribe.

Oops...

As for your sample size issue, I can only assume you do not understand statistics.

It's called a "statistical sample" and 25,000 out of 20 million is a pretty accurate sample size... :roll:

What difference does it make if they live on or off the reservation???

What difference does it make to live in amongst your own people vs living on your own away from that community? I mean its a massive difference. Your views are shaped by the world around you.

Last edited:
From the OP:

Oops...

As for your sample size issue, I can only assume you do not understand statistics.

No I clicked on the actual poll link in the article and the current stat is 56%

The sports team's name issue, like the transgender restroom issue, was never about how many folks were actually offended (had their feelings hurt?) it was to demonize those that were opposed to a government power expansion (the proper "liberal" solution to any and all such issues).

What difference does it make to live in amongst your own people vs living on your own away from that community? I mean its a massive difference. Your views are shaped by the world around you.

Wonderfully enough, there was a question about living on a reservation. Only 8% of those living on a reservation were offended. Seems to be going the wrong way for you.

Wonderfully enough, there was a question about living on a reservation. Only 8% of those living on a reservation were offended. Seems to be going the wrong way for you.

Not really it's a poll that asked a handful of Native Americans in each state the majority of which were not living on reservations or enrolled in a tribe. Pick it apart anyway you want but it's still a massively flawed poll.

To be honest though I would counter why only ask Native Americans? Can only certain races, groups etc be offended by a word?

I am not black but if I came across sports team called " The N words" I would be pretty offended, just as I imagine most people would be. I've done the rounds on this before and I always come to the same conclusions.

Is the word a slur? Yes
Is the words origin a violent or offensive one? Yes
Was it used for hundreds of years as an offensive term? Yes
Was the owner of the team who named them the Redskins a known racist? Yes.

Its a no brainer for me especially in a league where teams can re-locate and leave entire fan bases. Changing the name will not hurt the franchise and the fan's will get over it.

Not really it's a poll that asked a handful of Native Americans in each state the majority of which were not living on reservations or enrolled in a tribe. Pick it apart anyway you want but it's still a massively flawed poll.

Not really flawed at all and matches (nearly identically) to the last poll on the issue. I suspect we know the reason that the groups pushing for the name changes (other than the Washington Post), aren't doing or releasing their own polling on this matter. They know the results don't support their cause.

To be honest though I would counter why only ask Native Americans? Can only certain races, groups etc be offended by a word?

Why is a white man's opinion on this even relevant? Who cares if they feel someone else should be offended even though they clearly are not? Who gave them the privilege to make that determination for other people? The people that are supposed to be offended, couldn't really care much less and predominantly find it to be a non-issue.

Anyway, answers my question for you. Your opinion is not changed.

I've read of quite a few journalists that have had their minds changed on this. Meaning they have written that the name should be changed and have now changed their opinion.

Now you can keep calling them redskin as I do.But I never do that to insult them ,just a habit

I always call them "the Skins."

Most GIANTS fans do.

All we want them to do is lose...and get the hell out of the way.

Love it.

And it's striking that after 10 years, despite MASSIVE propaganda pushes, ignorant "news" outlets refusing to use the name, dumbass commentators doing exposes in the middle of football games, and other such things....

The results of this scientifically conducted survey is pretty much identical to the one Annenberg did then.

And this coming from the Washington Post, who's had numerous columnists who actively and continually campaigned against the name and refused to even use it in the paper. This is a paper that can in no way be called biased in favor of the team.

But don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of white people telling the overwhelming majority of Native Americans that they can't think for themselves and white people know what's best for them and what really should offend them.

Not really it's a poll that asked a handful of Native Americans

You clearly don't know how polls are conducted. If I do a search of your entire posting history, will I not find a single post of yours trumpeting in some fashion a poll about a groups thoughts on a political issue? A political candidate? Etc?

Nearly every scientifically conducted poll you see out there on almost any subject uses sampling, as opposed to asking legitimately 100% of an entire population. There is an entire field of study as it relates to polls, and the determination of significant sample sizes to legitimately get a reasonable projection for the views of the whole.

in each state the majority of which were not living on reservations or enrolled in a tribe. Pick it apart anyway you want but it's still a massively flawed poll.

And hey, we get our first instance of what I"m going to guess is a white person dictating who is a "real" native american and who isn't. Who's voice is worthy of being counted and who isn't. Living on a reservation is not necessary to be a native american. Ditto for belonging to a tribe. Indeed, there are a number of native americans in this country who's tribe is not recognized by the United States as "official" but absolutely do historically exist.

Hey hey, and from random non-native american dictating who the "true" natives are we then jump to the wonderful notion that those damn foolish native americans just don't know what's really offensive and it's up to us good and smart white people to tell them what's REALLY offended.

Why only ask native americans what is OFFENSIVE TO NATIVE AMERICANS? Perhaps because for most people, whether or not Joe Bob white guy down the street feels like it is offensive is not relevant as to whether or not it's offensive to native americans. You know, the people it supposedly was offensive to, and on who's behalf people were claiming to advocate for the removal of the name for.

Shocker...white people yet again trying to tell Native American's what's best for them because they clearly know better :roll:

I am not black but if I came across sports team called " The N words" I would be pretty offended, just as I imagine most people would be. I've done the rounds on this before and I always come to the same conclusions.

God this ignorant argument. Comparing the term Redskin and it's use as a team name and comparing it to nigger and it's usage as such is like trying to compare a 1 room shack to the Empire State building because they're both buildings and thus are entirely equivalent things.

Nigger was a disparaging term referring to blacks that was seemingly a construct of the west. Historical evidence suggests the term redskin was first used by Native American's themselves as a means of differentiating between themselves and those that had came from across the sea. I have found no evidence, EVER, of a predominantly black school going by the mascot name of "nigger", especially via a vote, where as there have been numerous predominantly native american schools that have done so. Nigger, or at least it's use by those that are not black, is viewed as an offensive word by the overwhelming majority of african americans regardless of how. As shown 10 years ago and once again now, the vast majority of native american's don't find it offensive in this context. Comparing the two as analogous is wrong.

Is the word a slur? Yes

Yes, and no. Depends entirely on it's usage.

Is the words origin a violent or offensive one? Yes

No, it's not. The "violent" origin that is often, ignorantly, repeated that it was originated as a term for scalps of native americans is categorically false with no sound historical evidence showing that it was created for that fashion. Whereas the senior linguist for the Smithsonian Institute has traced it's origins back to native americans themselves, as a means of referring to themselves as opposed to europeans, when multiple tribes were together.

Was it used for hundreds of years as an offensive term? Yes

Yes, it absolutely has been used as an offensive term over the years. It has also been used as an inoffensive term for significant years as well.

Was the owner of the team who named them the Redskins a known racist? Yes.

A non-sequitur as to the relevance of whether the name itself is offensive to native americans.

Its a no brainer for me especially in a league where teams can re-locate and leave entire fan bases. Changing the name will not hurt the franchise and the fan's will get over it.

Well, you just claim it won't hurt, with no basis, so clearly that's true :roll:. However, this ignores that there absolutely have been economics or marketing experts that have researched into this, such as Ronald Goldstein of Georgetown, who disagree with you. Brand loyalty and brand recognition are actual things that matter significant when evaluating the financial standing of a company. The name, the brand, "Redskins", holds value that would be damaged if the name was changed. The fact you don't personally think it would hurt the franchise is irrelevant, as would it be if you felt the damage was "acceptable" or anything else of the sorts. A business has no reason to risk it's financial success to placate a bunch of people whining about the need to protect a group who doesn't even have a problem with it amongst the overwhelming majority.

Not even getting into this with you as we've done this dance before and it lasted page's.
End of the day you come out and say " you're white so therefore you're not allowed to be offended by this "

But yet you're White, redskins fan and you're doing exactly the same. Your dictating what people are allowed to be offended by and you use selective polls to support your argument.
This isn't the first poll that has come out and claimed this. If I remember rightly there was one conducted in 2004 which reported similar results. The study done by Annenberg was torn apart and eventually the company itself came out and admitted that the Data was probably not an accurate reflection of Native attitudes .
Some high profile Native American scholar's went further and said that the poll reflected white privilege and colonialism.

But hey I'm sure this poll is accurate because you guys are such experts on data collections and statistics.

It seems that in the off season of years the skins do well, the name becomes an issue. Other years not so much. Eventually the name will get changed, probably as a condition the NFL places on the sell/purchase of the franchise.

I would like to see the name become the HOGS. A throwback to the glory days, and a nod to the plump ladies Bill Clinton lusted after during his presidency.

Back
Top Bottom