• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Local Government and the Events that It Entails

carlinkid

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many people argue that local government governs more efficiently than state and federal government. However, I'm not convinced. Aren't corruption and greed universal. I think that Town Council meetings are just as politically intense as Sessions if Congress for those affected. Although, the argument in favor of strong local government is compelling. What are your opinions?

Many people argue that local government governs more efficiently than state and federal government. However, I'm not convinced. Aren't corruption and greed universal. I think that Town Council meetings are just as politically intense as Sessions if Congress for those affected. Although, the argument in favor of strong local government is compelling. What are your opinions?

Our votes are pretty meaningful in local elections. Local government is therefore more tuned to the constituency. The public can attend city council meetings - at least around here they can. It isn't even a horse race.

It's a little harder to hide self-serving bull**** at the local level with open meeting laws. I will say I was involved in small town government for four years, and it was pretty ugly sometimes. But those open meeting laws? And the ability to rabble-rouse the troops? Very helpful. So I guess I'd agree with you.

Corruption is, indeed, just as likely on local and state levels than on a national level.

And what I always like to bring up is how it was the federal government who enforced desegregation and protected civil rights during the Civil Rights Era when state governments were violating the civil rights and liberties of ethnic minorities.

There's less likely of a chance to have corruption at a local level. It's just common sense in regards to size. If you have a town government with 8 council members running a town of 100,000 people, it's going to be much easier for the citizens to access government members and hold them accountable. I live in a town of about 90,000, and have met all our council members and met personally with the mayor several times, and so have many others. And I can tell you, their is absolutely minimal corruption.

Also on the part of government leaders it has to deal with incentives. If you have one man leading a country of 350 million people, he can really only see the big picture. It makes it easier for him to rationalize cutting corners, or ripping a certain amount of people of, or dealing with closed door policies. When you have a large populace to look after, and the responsibility is placed on so few for the whole populace, the welfare of each individual person is largely devalued.

Back
Top Bottom