• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lobster: Tail Only, or Whole Lobster?

Boiled or boat steamed but never grilled (barbaric). Tails and claws.

Lightly salted butter...melted but not hot so the butter sticks to the meat (for king crab legs, try chilling the cooked legs and eating with hot butter. Fantastic...)

Whether we are talking Lobster or Crawfish, Tail and claws but I don't like the head. I know some like the whole thing but its not my preference.

Oh, I know what I'm "missing". A few years ago I was Maryland and partook in a healthy heaping of blue crab. Was the last time I had arthropod. It was far too reminiscent of high school biology.

I kinda drew the line at sheep eyes. Dissecting those was fun, well playing with the lenses was - they bounce, kind of. Wouldn't eat one though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I never really buy lobster. If I'm going to splurge, I'll get crab since it has a better flavor, imo. If lobster were cheaper, I'd eat it more often. So far, I've only had it once or twice. It just doesn't seem to have a huge, huge flavor. I prefer crawfish/crayfish over all of them, however.

I assume if you prefer crawfish to lobster then you know why the newspaper is needed.

I assume if you prefer crawfish to lobster then you know why the newspaper is needed.

Actually, I haven't eaten at a crawfish boil before. I've always eaten crawfish that I made in soups and stews.

Actually, I haven't eaten at a crawfish boil before. I've always eaten crawfish that I made in soups and stews.

You are missing out then, but if you go to one do yourself a favor and make sure it is authentic. Many just use store bought seasoning, which is too hot and too salty, while authentic seasonings while hot are not too hot, and vastly more flavorfull.

My God man, the only thing that goes with lobster, aside from good beer or wine, is another lobster.
Grew up on PEI, and each spring, season opens, dad would head to the wharf, see a fisherman, and buy it right off the boat.
When I was older, did the same thing. Cook the lobster, plates full, slice open a large garbage bag or 2, place on the table, place newspaper down. Eat till you are full. Roll up the bag and such and off it went.
You knew you were full when there was lobster still left for the next days supper.

I believe in balanced diets. Lobster on its own gets a little boring, needs veggies. :mrgreen:

I buy them live so just the tail isnt really an option. Had some last week, weel that and crab legs because my daughter doesnt liek lobster she likes crab.

I buy them live so just the tail isnt really an option. Had some last week, weel that and crab legs because my daughter doesnt liek lobster she likes crab.

Regarding lobster: Do you boil? Steam? Grill?????

Here's a great lobster story. Many years ago, I was in St. Maarten and I went to the Oyster Bay Yacht Club for lunch. Ordered a cold lobster salad. I had no idea what was going to come out. What they did was take a large lobster shell, empty it, and fill it to the BRIM with nothing but lobster meat. I swear there felt like there was 5 pounds of the stuff there... along with some lettuce and tomatoes on the side as the "salad". Took me forever to eat it, but it was the best (and most) lobster I ever ate.

When you order/buy lobster, do you typically go for the tail/tails only, or do you go for the entire lobster?

Other than the claws, is there any reason to get the whole lobster?

How do you cook? Boil? Steam? Chowder? Other?????

Let's hear it for some LOBSTER!!!!

boiled-lobster-tail.jpg

I think It’s interesting that many years ago cold water Atlantic lobster (Maine lobster) was for the very poor and prisoners. I have visited the islands in Boston Harbor many times, two of which were prisons pre,during and post the civil war. One of the islands there has an information board telling of a prison uprising because of the food, they only got fead lobster.

I make the ultimate lobster , It’s a heart attack in a shell but wow is it good. It’s a spin on a baked stuffed lobster. What I do is par boil the lobster for a fews minutes to firm the flesh (not fully cooked). At this point It’s about extracting the meat but saving the integrity of the shell for plating and display. The tough part is splitting the claws, I use very sharp shears/kitchen scissors. I then take room temperature butter and smear the inside of the shell.

I cut up the meat placing it back into the shell, tail and claws but fill the body cavity with (sea scollops.) I then top this with my homemade seafood stuffing mix loaded with butter and spice and bake it. Wait,,,I’m not done,,, I prepare a cheese sauce similar to Alfredo and drizzle that on top before serving.

Lobsters were once only fed to poor people and prisoners

Whole lobster.

They may have an extremely limited brain, but if I steamed one, I would kill it first. I have typically boiled them and while they do flail around a bit, it's generally for a couple seconds only.....which is probably better than most human deaths, suffering-wise.

Whole lobster.

They may have an extremely limited brain, but if I steamed one, I would kill it first. I have typically boiled them and while they do flail around a bit, it's generally for a couple seconds only.....which is probably better than most human deaths, suffering-wise.

Lobsters and other shellfish have harmful bacteria naturally present in their flesh. Once the lobster is dead, these bacteria can rapidly multiply and release toxins that may not be destroyed by cooking. You therefore minimise the chance of food poisoning by cooking the lobster alive.

Why are lobsters cooked alive and do they feel pain? | Science Focus

When you order/buy lobster, do you typically go for the tail/tails only, or do you go for the entire lobster?

Other than the claws, is there any reason to get the whole lobster?

I get the whole lobster because

1) Tomally!!!

2) Roe

3) Claw and knuckle meat

and finally

4) because you can make a really good lobster spaghetti sauce by boiling the leftover shells.

I go for the tail. I have only had it grilled or broiled and served with butter. I like crab better.

What'd you think of grilled? I've never tried to grill lobster.
I like it. If you like other seafood grilled then you should like lobster grilled. I have only had lobster at restaurants, so I couldn't offer any tips on how to grill it.

Back
Top Bottom