• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lobbyists have paid five of the Senators who shot down Yemen bill

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From al-Jazeera

At least five of the 37 Republican Senators who voted against advancing a resolution limiting the United States's involvement in the war in Yemen have received campaign contributions from pro-Saudi lobbying groups.

Roy Blunt, John Boozman, Richard Burr, Mike Crapo and Tim Scott all received financial contributions from firms representing Saudi interests between 2016 and 2017, according to a recent investigation by the Centre for International Policy (CIP).

All five Republicans voted on Wednesday against advancing the resolution, which, if passed, would force the US to limit its support for the Saudi-UAE war in Yemen.

The Trump administration has threatened to veto the resolution if it passes.

COMMENT:-

Since the resolution passed ("Senators send rebuke to Saudis, Trump over Khashoggi killing"), I wonder if the Saudis can get their money back.

From al-Jazeera

At least five of the 37 Republican Senators who voted against advancing a resolution limiting the United States's involvement in the war in Yemen have received campaign contributions from pro-Saudi lobbying groups.

Roy Blunt, John Boozman, Richard Burr, Mike Crapo and Tim Scott all received financial contributions from firms representing Saudi interests between 2016 and 2017, according to a recent investigation by the Centre for International Policy (CIP).

All five Republicans voted on Wednesday against advancing the resolution, which, if passed, would force the US to limit its support for the Saudi-UAE war in Yemen.

The Trump administration has threatened to veto the resolution if it passes.

COMMENT:-

Since the resolution passed ("Senators send rebuke to Saudis, Trump over Khashoggi killing"), I wonder if the Saudis can get their money back.

The Republican base has this fantasy that everything every Democrat does is dirty and there fore, the GOP should get away with anything, no matter how sleazy and criminal, because the other side does. It's really gotten to the point I don't think anyone's ever gonna be held respponsible for anything more and more when it comes to politicians and bankers. They'd be happy with zero oversite for GOP administrations and endless oversite on any Democrrat administration regardles if there is corruption or not.:roll:

It's the end of America is what it is. We are circling the drain, and Trump was the final domino. America has no future, literally, it is over, broke beyond repair done, bank on that. Thanks you King Tangface, you've made America no more again rather than Great, it's just a matter of time now.... Putin did well with this useful idiot.

The Republican base has this fantasy that everything every Democrat does is dirty and there fore, the GOP should get away with anything, no matter how sleazy and criminal, because the other side does. It's really gotten to the point I don't think anyone's ever gonna be held respponsible for anything more and more when it comes to politicians and bankers. They'd be happy with zero oversite for GOP administrations and endless oversite on any Democrrat administration regardles if there is corruption or not.:roll:

It's the end of America is what it is. We are circling the drain, and Trump was the final domino. America has no future, literally, it is over, broke beyond repair done, bank on that. Thanks you King Tangface, you've made America no more again rather than Great, it's just a matter of time now.... Putin did well with this useful idiot.

Someone had an extra helping of doom and gloom for Thanksgiving. Cheer up.

Someone had an extra helping of doom and gloom for Thanksgiving. Cheer up.

I'm more upset about the size of the bribe that was thought to be a sufficiency than I am surprised that someone would attempt to buy votes.

My philosophy could (note the use of the "conditional") be summed up as "I may be easy, but I'm not CHEAP.".

There's only one way to stop the madness of which you speak - vote all 3-term Senators and any House Representative whose been in office greater than 10 years out! If you as a politician go around proclaiming that "government is slow to act...government doesn't create jobs...government is the problem" then you, sir, are what's wrong with government and, therefore, you must GO! Moreover, if you're claiming to have been a successful businessman/woman in the private sector before being elected to Congress, why do you prefer to stay in a "slow acting, non-jobs creating, dysfunctional" work environment? Why wouldn't you want to return to the life of prosperity you claim to have left? Because you're getting rich off insider government information...the very bills you produce before any Average Joe knows about it!?! Oh...I see. So, government is a problem...just not for you and your wallet. Hmmm...:wow:

Back
Top Bottom