• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lobbyists have paid five of the Senators who shot down Yemen bill

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Lobbyists have paid five of the Senators who shot down Yemen bill

rtx2otlp-e1473697352595.jpg

Starving children in war-torn Yemen.

11/29/18
At least five of the 37 Republican Senators who voted against advancing a resolution limiting the United States's involvement in the war in Yemen have received campaign contributions from pro-Saudi lobbying groups. Roy Blunt, John Boozman, Richard Burr, Mike Crapo and Tim Scott all received financial contributions from firms representing Saudi interests between 2016 and 2017, according to a recent investigation by the Centre for International Policy (CIP). All five Republicans voted on Wednesday against advancing the resolution, which, if passed, would force the US to limit its support for the Saudi-UAE war in Yemen. The Trump administration has threatened to veto the resolution if it passes. But on Wednesday, the political donations appeared to have little effect when the US Senate opted to move forward with the resolution in a bipartisan 63-37 vote. "I changed my mind because I'm pissed. The way the administration has handled Saudi Arabia is not acceptable." said Senator Lindsey Graham (R/SC).

On the brighter side, Saudi lobby money didn't sway two-thirds.

Related: Big Senate Majority Rebukes Trump Administration, Saudi Arabia Over Yemen War

Back
Top Bottom