• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liz Cheney to seek Wyo. Senate seat held by Repub.....

Actually, even though it is unelected, the Senate in Canada does have a lot of power. Its approval is required to pass legislation adopted by the House of Commons and it can veto or delay dealing with all legislation with the exception of constitutional amendments. In addition, it cannot initiate tax or appropriations bills.

In practice, because the Senate is not elected, it seldom gets in the way of legislation passed by the Government in the House of Commons, particularly if there is a majority government in the House. There are occasions where the Senate has stopped legislation. Recently, in the past month or so, it amended a popular piece of legislation related to union disclosures and the amendments are very unpopular, except with unions.

There is always a lot of talk in Canada about abolishing the Senate or making it fully elected and accountable to the public, but that would require a major constitutional amendment and there isn't support for it across the country.

As an aside, you'll note that in providing this information, unlike Redress, I didn't call you stupid or claim you had no right to utter an opinion on Canadian politics or government. I respect that you have an opinion and you have an interest in my country and its government and I don't insult or dismiss you when you're not totally accurate.

That's essentially what I was getting at, thanks! Important but impotent. :)

edit, adding that I am actually a Canadian citizen. I've been in the USA for 15 years now and had all of my kids here but I AM CANADIAN! Brother :)

Tim-

Well, like the other Wyoming Politicians say. Enzi knows whats best for Wyoming People. I doubt Liz is much up on what Wyomings are about. With that whopping one year of time living there. Occasionally! :roll:

Senator Enzi is definitely much better connected locally and more familiar with local concerns than Ms. Cheney. The race probably leans his way, but there's an awful lot of time between now and the GOP primary. Cheney might well try to reposition the race as one of national significance (national security, alone, probably won't cut it, but if she can come up with a bold economic framework, she could make inroads; he father's policy connections could help her do so). She could also have a decided fundraising edge. It is not unprecedented for better-funded, energetic candidates to topple popular, underfunded, less energetic ones.

Should the race tighten, the potential does exist for it to get ugly. Enzi could raise Cheney's recent relocation to Wyoming as an issue, she would counter with her family's roots. Cheney could suggest that Enzi's lack of visibility is evidence that he's too old to be effective and that his past flirtations with retirement hinted at a disinterest in serving, but he could also counter by highlighting specific work he has done in his role as a Senator, the importance of facilitating the legislative process, and by waging an active campaign.

And for the party it's a "new blood" win.

Heya Nimby :2wave: were you trying to say that the Repubs have to protect 20 seats? I think you have that backwards. Its the Demos that have 20 seats up......ooops make that 21 now with Rockefeller not running.

I was trying to say Repubs have 20 seats to protect in 2016, based on their 2010 performance in that devastating wave year to Dems. And being an election year for the POTUSA, they will have their hands full, even though they are strong in those states. I expect the new demographics and the VRA and CU SCOTUS decisions to continue to drive the dynamics of Senate elections.

Not playing the victim, and not afraid to have my opinions challenged. As if I could be harmed or be afraid of the likes of you.

Not accepting, without response, your clear baiting however.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, related to Enzi, and particularly as it relates to you and your MO.

And yet you have done everything but challenge my premise. How is you not knowing about him, despite his being fairly well known and active as a senator, suggest that he should be replaced, that he "won't be missed"? Funny how you ignored that, instead to build straw men and rant on everything but.

And yet you have done everything but challenge my premise. How is you not knowing about him, despite his being fairly well known and active as a senator, suggest that he should be replaced, that he "won't be missed"? Funny how you ignored that, instead to build straw men and rant on everything but.

Because your setup is inaccurate - he isn't "well known" on the national stage. He may or may not be "active", but that doesn't matter in the context of this discussion if folks outside of Wyoming aren't aware of him. Better to say I suppose - he's not been pivotal nationally and thus whether he stays or goes is not important.

The party has a chance with Cheney to bring in new blood from an old and powerful political bloodline. If she's a barn-burner the party and the state could benefit greatly. If she's not, the party and the state lose nothing.

So she moved into a ski villa a year ago and knows all about Wyoming? I guess she sort of grew up there (officially), but she reminds me of Al Franken.

Sorry, just because you don't understand English and believe a Canadian can't have an opinion on US politics doesn't mean I need to explain myself for your benefit.

Why not explain your own views? You claim Enzi is fairly well known and active as a Senator? On what basis? Virtually no one on this thread knows anything about the man or what he's accomplished in 18 years in the Senate. Maybe he's a great guy and people like him, but the fact he's accomplished nothing of note in 18 years indeed means that he won't be missed. He can enjoy his Senate pension and pal around the corner store and county fairs in his retirement and let someone else take a crack at serving the State.

My original post said I'd never heard of him nor of any matter of a national importance that he championed or got bipartisan consensus upon and I indicated that someone who's been in the Senate 18 years and has no national profile is just someone taking up space and won't be missed. All perfectly reasonable opinions to have unless you're a liberal who hero worships anyone who can suck on the government teat for decades without getting noticed.

Just because the man is a conservative and generally holds conservative views on legislation doesn't mean that I'm wedded to him or anyone like him forever and ever. There's a ton of long term deadwood in the US Senate and I'd be all for seeing new people with new ideas and a desire to serve the country take a run at people like Enzi.

My original post said I'd never heard of him nor of any matter of a national importance that he championed or got bipartisan consensus upon and I indicated that someone who's been in the Senate 18 years and has no national profile is just someone taking up space and won't be missed.

I don't think that's a bad thing. I'd rather have a Senator who's more interested in working quietly for his constituents than someone who burnishes his national profile and bides his time before running for President. Before Michele Bachmann decided she wasn't running for re-election, people were starting to wonder if she ever really did anything useful for her district, or if she was just an attention whore.

I don't think that's a bad thing. I'd rather have a Senator who's more interested in working quietly for his constituents than someone who burnishes his national profile and bides his time before running for President. Before Michele Bachmann decided she wasn't running for re-election, people were starting to wonder if she ever really did anything useful for her district, or if she was just an attention whore.

In his first term, I'd agree with you - in his second term? in his third term? running for a fourth term? If all he's interested in is local constituent issues, the US Senate is not the place for him - there are more important things.

Watch out - Redress will claim you aren't entitled to an opinion because you don't know what you're talking about.

Dick Cheney was raised in Wyoming, went to University in Wyoming, served as an intern for a congressman from Wyoming, served five terms in the US House of Representatives from Wyoming.

I didn't realize that people in the US were required never to leave a state to seek other opportunities.

Except for Hillary, and a few others, but that's different, and therefore... okay. :mrgreen:

Good day pg. I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming and other Mountain time zone states since 1973. They don't like carpetbaggers there either. The population centers are on I-80 and I-25, far from Jackson Hole. If they had Utah's caucus primary, I might give her a chance. Her Father once joked of plowing the surrounding mountains into the Yellowstone caldera. I have two western trips coming up, the 2nd to Yellowstone in September on the way back from Vegas.
Except for Hillary, and a few others, but that's different, and therefore... okay. :mrgreen:

Good day pg. I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming and other Mountain time zone states since 1973. They don't like carpetbaggers there either. The population centers are on I-80 and I-25, far from Jackson Hole. If they had Utah's caucus primary, I might give her a chance. Her Father once joked of plowing the surrounding mountains into the Yellowstone caldera. I have two western trips coming up, the 2nd to Yellowstone in September on the way back from Vegas.

Good afternoon, NIMBY! :2wave:

Sounds like you're quite the traveling man! Good for you! Have fun! Life is too short not to! :thumbs: Are you still in New England? It sounded like you enjoyed yourself there.

There's some wisdom to that, however, the role you describe sounds more suited to the House and not the Senate.

Glad you understand ... some conservatives don't seem to get it ...:rock

He's not even good at "dishing" it out, so logic says that taking it would be in order of magnitude more difficult. :)

Tim-

Meh.
shrug.gif
I just go with the Gitmo Method and Force Feed him. :lol:

:funny you rascal! Makes me miss Mangas! :lamo:

I'm getting jealous ... every time you write to me you bring up Mangas ... forget that injun, when you have an Antonio Banderas look alike in me ...

I was trying to say Repubs have 20 seats to protect in 2016, based on their 2010 performance in that devastating wave year to Dems. And being an election year for the POTUSA, they will have their hands full, even though they are strong in those states. I expect the new demographics and the VRA and CU SCOTUS decisions to continue to drive the dynamics of Senate elections.

Ah thanks Nimby
thanks.png
.....2016. I misunderstood. I thought ya was talking for 2014. :)

I'm getting jealous ... every time you write to me you bring up Mangas ... forget that injun, when you have an Antonio Banderas look alike in me ...
--------------------
Antonio Banderas.......pffft!!
He ended up with that mushy Melanie Griffith.
Better you should look like Javier Bardem, he married Penelope Cruz.
Mangas would agree.

--------------------
Antonio Banderas.......pffft!!
He ended up with that mushy Melanie Griffith.
Better you should look like Javier Bardem, he married Penelope Cruz.
Mangas would agree.

Penelope took Javier because Antonio was taken ... and what does Mangas know anyway?

-------------
Hiya, polgara. I miss Mangas, too.

Greetings, radioman! :2wave:

It's beginning to appear as if we haven't aggravated him enough yet to convince him to return! We're just going to have to try harder, I guess! :lamo: :duel:

Greetings, radioman! :2wave:

:
-------------

I'm not even going to ask you about the weather.
Texas heat followed you home maybe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom