• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liz Cheney - Republican Party "must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution"

He didn't help himself in his dealing with the insurrection. Cheney was talking about some suppressed polling that shows this really hurts Trump in suburban/swing districts. His polling now is apparently in, like, the 30% area.
That's why I doubt he'll be the candidate in the next election but, unlike many Democrats, Facebook, and Twitter I feel he has a right, and perhaps a duty, to say what he thinks.

That's why I doubt he'll be the candidate in the next election but, unlike many Democrats, Facebook, and Twitter I feel he has a right, and perhaps a duty, to say what he thinks.

True. Its the violence, the disdain for the democratic process that he promotes that I find troubling. Coming as it is, from a national leader.

That a major political party listens to him and finds him to be the guiding light, even moreso.

When someone says, “Frankly, what we’re seeing around gerrymandering by the authoritarian wing of the Republican party is part of the Putin-style managed democracy they are promoting – that combination of voter suppression and gerrymandering.” you can dismiss whatever comes next.

There is no evidence of 'voter suppression'.

You can dismiss it, but you can't refute it.

The source I shared shows that even members of the GOP are worried about their voter suppression.

Last edited:
Sounds old school to me....
Let's look at her popularity as of today... Half of her own state will vote against her.
5/poll-more-than-half-of-gop-wyoming-voters-will-vote-against-liz-cheney-for-reelection/

I couldn't find the article you tried to link from the Federalist, but I found another. I'm not arguing about her being in trouble; that's clear. My point is the reason for her sudden reversal in fortune. It's obvious that bucking Trump caused it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/06/cheney-wyoming-2022-primary-485508

I couldn't find the article you tried to link from the Federalist, but I found another. I'm not arguing about her being in trouble; that's clear. My point is the reason for her sudden reversal in fortune. It's obvious that bucking Trump caused it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/06/cheney-wyoming-2022-primary-485508
Sorry. My link was incorrect.
Hoping this is the correct link:

The GOP people are all about Trump right now because they are following the electorate; the Trump polls. Trumpism is here to stay though Trump, the man won't be the one to carry the Trumpism message in future elections, IMO.

Liz Cheney has no standing in today's GOP simply because she is outnumbered.

The GOP people are all about Trump right now because they are following the electorate; the Trump polls. Trumpism is here to stay though Trump, the man won't be the one to carry the Trumpism message in future elections, IMO.

Why yes, I do believe the country is getting the clear signal that the GOP is to the right of a Cheney. Yup yup yup.

Why yes, I do believe the country is getting the clear signal that the GOP is to the right of a Cheney. Yup yup yup.

There's nobody more right than neocon war monger Darth and his dear daughter Liz...

Thx for the link, it worked.

I'm not sure what the Trumpism messge is, apart from the policies she unanimously supported. It seems to me you're conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room. I can understand why; it's a very smelly elephant.

I think the voters turned on her for being critical of his actions around the election, nothing else. If blind obedience to someone who has done wrong is a necessary part of Trumpism, it doesn't seem to me like a very worthwhile platform.

There's nobody more right than neocon war monger Darth and his dear daughter Liz...

Oh, I beg to differ: the GOP is stating *they* are more right than the neocon war monger who voted with Trump and Trumpism something like 95% of the time.

I mean, you’re pretty far right when you feel as though that last 5% of crazy is just money being left on the table.

Thx for the link, it worked.

I'm not sure what the Trumpism messge is, apart from the policies she unanimously supported. It seems to me you're conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room. I can understand why; it's a very smelly elephant.

I think the voters turned on her for being critical of his actions around the election, nothing else. If blind obedience to someone who has done wrong is a necessary part of Trumpism, it doesn't seem to me like a very worthwhile platform.

Let me be blunt... I am no fan of Trump the man, but I'm even less a fan of neocon Liz Cheney. She, IMO, is posturing to run for the president in 2024. IMO, that's what all her sudden opposition is about. And of course, you're correct, she voted with Trump almost all the time...

Oh, I beg to differ: the GOP is stating *they* are more right than the neocon war monger who voted with Trump and Trumpism something like 95% of the time.

I mean, you’re pretty far right when you feel as though that last 5% of crazy is just money being left on the table.

I'm not far right at all.
Liz Cheney is far right.

I'm not far right at all.
Liz Cheney is far right.

I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to the GOP. When Liz Cheney is a “rino”, your party has gone over a cliff.

Or is she a NeverTRumper? I guess the former wouldn’t be a big deal, but the latter is a dealbreaker for the new Fourth Reich Party.

I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to the GOP. When Liz Cheney is a “rino”, your party has gone over a cliff.

Or is she a NeverTRumper? I guess the former wouldn’t be a big deal, but the latter is a dealbreaker for the new Fourth Reich Party.

She's an opportunist; just another DC politician attempting to grab the brass ring '24.

She's an opportunist; just another DC politician attempting to grab the brass ring '24.

It shouldn’t be special or controversial to state on the floor of the House that Joe Biden won the presidency fair and square.

GOP is crackers bananas.

Let me be blunt... I am no fan of Trump the man, but I'm even less a fan of neocon Liz Cheney. She, IMO, is posturing to run for the president in 2024. IMO, that's what all her sudden opposition is about. And of course, you're correct, she voted with Trump almost all the time...
I guessed you weren't a fan. That's your prerogative.
To me, this is Margaret Chase Smith against Joe McCarthy. I'm no Republican, but that's not the point to me.

The only Republican to take a firm stand against McCarthy was the Senate’s only woman, Margaret Chase Smith of Maine. It would be her proudest moment in the chamber and one for which she would pay dearly. Smith had met McCarthy years before at a dinner party and had not been charmed. The two shared a skepticism about communism, and McCarthy not only named her to the investigations subcommittee where he was ranking Republican but also touted her as a future vice presidential nominee.
Yet “the more I listened to Joe … the less I could understand what he was up to,” Smith said, looking back. “One day, Joe said, ‘Margaret, you seem to be worried about what I am doing.’ I said, ‘Yes, Joe. I want to see the proof.’ ” McCarthy: “But I have shown you the photostatic copies.” Smith: “Perhaps I’m stupid, Joe. But they don’t prove a thing to me that backs up your charges.”

On June 1, 1950, mimeographed remarks in hand, Smith was heading for the members-only train that would take her from her office to the Capitol when she ran into McCarthy. “Margaret,” he said jauntily, “you look very serious. Are you going to make a speech?” “Yes, and you will not like it,” she said. McCarthy, smiling: “Is it about me?” Smith: “Yes, but I’m not going to mention your name.” McCarthy, frowning: “Remember Margaret, I control Wisconsin’s 27 convention votes!”

On the Senate floor, Smith said she wanted to discuss with her colleagues “a serious national condition” that made it “high time for the United States Senate and its members to do some soul-searching — for us to weigh our consciences — on the manner in which we are performing our duty to the people of America. … Those of us who shout the loudest about Americanism in making character assassinations are all too frequently those who, by our own words and acts, ignore some of the basic principles of Americanism: the right to criticize; the right to hold unpopular beliefs; the right to protest; the right of independent thought.”
While saying that “the nation sorely needs a Republican victory” in the 1950 elections, she added, “I don’t want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny — Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.” Finishing her opening remarks and trying to settle what she later conceded was a fluttering stomach, the ordinarily cautious Smith read a “Declaration of Conscience” that called for civility and bipartisanship and was co-signed by six moderate Republicans.
It was a 15-minute act of gallantry and grit, one that made Smith a model that today’s senator from Maine, Susan Collins, seeks to emulate, and that McCarthy listened to silently from his desk two rows behind Smith’s. But the recriminations were quick and stinging. Columnist and McCarthy friend Westbrook Pegler called her “a Moses in nylons” who “took advantage … of her sex.”

Others suggested that the two had been romantically involved, or she’d wanted to be, and that the speech was personal revenge. McCarthy called Smith and her co-signatories “Snow White and the Six Dwarfs.” His words were reinforced by splenetic action. Using his authority as ranking Republican, in 1951 he dumped Smith from the subcommittee he had named her to, and three years later he helped recruit, finance and promote the candidate who unsuccessfully challenged her in the Republican primary in Maine.

She talked about truth and fidelity to the Constitution. What is she talking about? What "basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process” does she think her fellow republicans arent willing to defend?
They, like you have chosen fealty to Trump over the country.

True. Its the violence, the disdain for the democratic process that he promotes that I find troubling. Coming as it is, from a national leader.

That a major political party listens to him and finds him to be the guiding light, even moreso.
He has every right to speak out against the process and, in fact, there are several investigations going on questioning the results of the election. This is not uncommon in any democracy. Millions of people, both Republican and Democrat, feel the election wasn't fair.

I doubt Trump is any more of a 'guiding light' than Joe Biden is. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/09/republicans-free-fair-elections-435488

Correction the GOP is to the Trump of Cheney
It isnt about right or left it is only about Trump

Explain how he is a traitor and why he has not been charged
He is a traitor for not certifying my vote and I told him if he did not I would never speak his name without the prefix traitor in front of it again...

I said it was meaningless not incorrect.. You tell me, what did she say there?
Maybe to folks like you. She spoke the truth. The constitution is meaningless to most in the gop because they have become the party of trump and he carried the constitution on the bottom of one of his shoes.

Knowing someone is a crook and proving they are one is not the same thing
For example it took a while to close trump university which was an obvious scam to most people

True, that's why we have courts and why courtroom lawyers make a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom