• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liz Cheney - Republican Party "must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution"

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I never thought that I'd ever agree with Liz Cheney, but because of (S/I/T) Trump and his Trumplicans, she stands for honoring the oath of office and our Constitution. I'm on board! She just penned an op-ed that truly touches those with a heart and soul who believes in our Founding Fathers and the nation for which we live in and defend. Those of us who will not attack our Capitol like what happened on 1/6. The take-over isn't over until justice wins out over evil.

Facing removal from party leadership, Rep. Liz Cheney doubled down on Wednesday, saying in a Washington Post op-ed that the GOP is at a "turning point" and calling on Republicans to turn away from former President Donald Trump’s rhetoric, which she argued "can provoke violence again."

"The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution," the Wyoming Republican wrote in the op-ed. “History is watching. Our children are watching. We must be brave enough to defend the basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process.”

In the op-ed, Cheney slammed Trump and said she would continue to do so “no matter what the short-term political consequences might be.”

I never thought that I'd ever agree with Liz Cheney, but because of (S/I/T) Trump and his Trumplicans, she stands for honoring the oath of office and our Constitution. I'm on board! She just penned an op-ed that truly touches those with a heart and soul who believes in our Founding Fathers and the nation for which we live in and defend. Those of us who will not attack our Capitol like what happened on 1/6. The take-over isn't over until justice wins out over evil.

Facing removal from party leadership, Rep. Liz Cheney doubled down on Wednesday, saying in a Washington Post op-ed that the GOP is at a "turning point" and calling on Republicans to turn away from former President Donald Trump’s rhetoric, which she argued "can provoke violence again."

"The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution," the Wyoming Republican wrote in the op-ed. “History is watching. Our children are watching. We must be brave enough to defend the basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process.”

In the op-ed, Cheney slammed Trump and said she would continue to do so “no matter what the short-term political consequences might be.”
The party already decided. Trump, lets make the party own it.

"Now Republicans want to boot Liz Cheney from CONGRESS: Six GOP challengers are lining up for 2022 battle with Wyoming Rep. who's likely to be voted out as party chair next week"​

The GOP is now the party of Trump.

"Now Republicans want to boot Liz Cheney from CONGRESS: Six GOP challengers are lining up for 2022 battle with Wyoming Rep. who's likely to be voted out as party chair next week"​

The GOP is now the party of Trump.

Good. Trump is a loser. As many republicans as we can get to hitch their wagon to Trump the better. Perhaps, maybe even in our lifetime, the Republican party will have gone by the way of the Whigs and we can be rid of them once and for all. They have become the party of shit. They need to be flushed.

That is nothing but meaningless platitudes. She is going to have to come up with better lines than that if she wishes to convince anyone other than the mindless left.

she's got balls unlike most in the GOP.

The republicans should consider changing the name to the Grand Trump Party.

It seems rather apropos...

That is nothing but meaningless platitudes. She is going to have to come up with better lines than that if she wishes to convince anyone other than the mindless left.

What did she say that was incorrect?

I said it was meaningless not incorrect.. You tell me, what did she say there?

She said that there is a choice for Republicans to continue to follow and believe the BIG LIE of election fraud by Trump or to have the courage to reject such an obvious falsehood and work towards the good of the nation instead. Which do you choose?

She said that there is a choice for Republicans to continue to follow and believe the BIG LIE of election fraud by Trump or to have the courage to reject such an obvious falsehood and work towards the good of the nation instead. Which do you choose?
She talked about truth and fidelity to the Constitution. What is she talking about? What "basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process” does she think her fellow republicans arent willing to defend?

Repubs must demonstrate fealty to Trump.
GOP cancel-culture at work.

You could read the op-ed. Here's the opening that puts the quoted part in context:

In public statements again this week, former president Donald Trump has repeated his claims that the 2020 election was a fraud and was stolen. His message: I am still the rightful president, and President Biden is illegitimate. Trump repeats these words now with full knowledge that exactly this type of language provoked violence on Jan. 6. And, as the Justice Department and multiple federal judges have suggested, there is good reason to believe that Trump’s language can provoke violence again. Trump is seeking to unravel critical elements of our constitutional structure that make democracy work — confidence in the result of elections and the rule of law. No other American president has ever done this.

The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution. In the immediate wake of the violence of Jan. 6, almost all of us knew the gravity and the cause of what had just happened — we had witnessed it firsthand.
House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) left no doubt in his public remarks. On the floor of the House on Jan. 13, McCarthy said: “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding.” Now, McCarthy has changed his story.

I am a conservative Republican, and the most conservative of conservative values is reverence for the rule of law. Each of us swears an oath before God to uphold our Constitution. The electoral college has spoken. More than 60 state and federal courts, including multiple Trump-appointed judges, have rejected the former president’s arguments, and refused to overturn election results. That is the rule of law; that is our constitutional system for resolving claims of election fraud.
The question before us now is whether we will join Trump’s crusade to delegitimize and undo the legal outcome of the 2020 election, with all the consequences that might have.

That is nothing but meaningless platitudes.
A Trump supporter complaining about "meaningless platitudes".
That's pretty funny.
Now, get out there and spout some very meaningful slogans..."MAGA"..."Fake News"..."Stop the Steal" are all good options.

She talked about truth and fidelity to the Constitution. What is she talking about? What "basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process” does she think her fellow republicans arent willing to defend?

You consider truth and fidelity to the Constitution meaningless? A bit nihilistic but that does seem to be your ethos.

Confederates didn't care about the Constitution the 1st time. Why would they care about it now?

A Trump supporter complaining about "meaningless platitudes".
That's pretty funny.
Now, get out there and spout some very meaningful slogans..."MAGA"..."Fake News"..."Stop the Steal" are all good options.
So you have nothing to add. What a shock.

Good. Trump is a loser. As many republicans as we can get to hitch their wagon to Trump the better. Perhaps, maybe even in our lifetime, the Republican party will have gone by the way of the Whigs and we can be rid of them once and for all. They have become the party of shit. They need to be flushed.

Well that's one way of looking at it

Essentially the Republican Party apparatus is pro-Trump

I read that the GOP party in Alabama recently voted Trump as the greatest president ever. You really couldn't make it up.

You consider truth and fidelity to the Constitution meaningless? A bit nihilistic but that does seem to be your ethos.
Thats not what I said :rolleyes: Learn to read for Christs sake.

Thats not what I said :rolleyes: Learn to read for Christs sake.

I must have misinterpreted, "I said it was meaningless not incorrect."

So you said it was meaningless but did not mean to imply you thought it was meaningless. English is subtle language, I suppose.

No one is talking about that crap but her. Her goose is cooked. As it should be.
So you moved the goal posts.

FWIW, as she notes in the article, Trump is still making those claims, and GOP leadership including that cowardly POS "my integrity is worth nothing!!" McCarthy is trying to oust her from leadership for not kissing Trump's fat loser ass and repeating them like a good little lemming. The ouster attempt is happening as we speak.

So you have nothing to add. What a shock.
What have you added but telling us you're not interested enough to read the op-ed then dismissing what's quoted with a hand wave? Oh, and insults - those are good!

Back
Top Bottom