• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Living in Texas or other super hot states?

If you are following this thread, you obviously want to keep abreast of the national weather. I saw this article today.

"After another punishing weekend of sweltering temperatures across much of the United States, a heat dome will produce highs above average this week for large swaths of the country, while several wildfires in the West continue to wreak havoc on communities.

The Great Plains and Midwest — along with parts of the East — will see high temperatures that are 10 to 15 degrees above average. And in places where residents must also cope with high humidity, those temperatures could feel like they have reached triple digits.

An excessive heat warning was in place for parts of Idaho, Montana and Oregon through Tuesday, the National Weather Service said. Billings, Mont., could see temperatures hit 105 degrees by Tuesday, and nearby locations could reach 110. Boise, Idaho, is forecast to reach 103 on Monday, but cool down slightly as the week progresses. A heat advisory was also in effect for Monday and Tuesday for parts of Louisiana and Texas and up through South Dakota"

I'm glad your wife is ok, that must have been a terrible situation.
I just can't imagine living in some of the temperatures that the US is seeing at the moment. I'd just be unable to go outside.

Stay safe everyone.

I rushed there because I got a call and thought my cell was malfunctioning.
It was my wife grunting and coughing deliriously and trying to say that she was burning up in the van.
I called 9-1-1 and the medics beat me there.

It was one of those "shaking your head in disbelief" situations....like "WTF are we doing living here, it's not worth it".

If you are following this thread, you obviously want to keep abreast of the national weather. I saw this article today.

"After another punishing weekend of sweltering temperatures across much of the United States, a heat dome will produce highs above average this week for large swaths of the country, while several wildfires in the West continue to wreak havoc on communities.

The Great Plains and Midwest — along with parts of the East — will see high temperatures that are 10 to 15 degrees above average. And in places where residents must also cope with high humidity, those temperatures could feel like they have reached triple digits.

An excessive heat warning was in place for parts of Idaho, Montana and Oregon through Tuesday, the National Weather Service said. Billings, Mont., could see temperatures hit 105 degrees by Tuesday, and nearby locations could reach 110. Boise, Idaho, is forecast to reach 103 on Monday, but cool down slightly as the week progresses. A heat advisory was also in effect for Monday and Tuesday for parts of Louisiana and Texas and up through South Dakota"

Sounds pretty horrific.
I see there are places with communal cooling areas that could be an actual life saver in times like this.

Stay safe everyone.

Where in Texas?

I mean the UK is humid, it’s in the middle of the ocean, whereas much of Texas is desert. I was exploring an abandoned military base the other weekend in the Mojave desert, during the afternoon, with 109 degree temperature and it was very pleasant because there’s no humidity in the air,
Yep, humidity SUCKS!! Even a day in the mid to upper 70s(25°C) can be made uncomfortable by high humidity. I've experienced days in the mid 90°s but with extremely low humidity, which more pleasant than an 80° day with high humidity.

Humidity is so uncomfortable on hot days, because it nullifies your body's natural ability to cool itself down. Normally when it's hot, you sweat, and the sweat evaporates, which has a cooling effect on your body, just like when you spray yourself with a hose on a hot day, and it keeps you feeling cooler, until all the moisture evaporates away.

But when humidity is high, it dramatically reduces ambient air's ability to hold moisture, which reduces evaporation. Without evaporation, you are doomed to be covered in an ever-increasing amount of sweat that won't go away, which makes you feel more miserable.

- When the power is out, we sweat a lot. :giggle:.
I have never seen a full valley wide blackout. Most outages are less than 24 hrs. Some will go to friends who are not impacted. Towns that have power will open up cooling centers, some just wait it out.

- Hydration is the key during the summer.
Pools? In FL, everyone has one. Not as sure for AZ.

Back
Top Bottom