• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Living in Texas or other super hot states?

I had a friend who said on very hot days he would draw a bath using only cold water and sit in it for 20 minutes and he claimed this would keep him cool all night.

He felt AC was never necessary.

I have a simple question here.
How?

I honestly think I'd die in that heat as the UK can become unbearably hot and that's nothing compared to what you guys get.

We had a guy at work who had lived in the Texas for 20 years and was moving back to the UK and bringing his wife and kids who were born in Texas with him and for them, this place will feel like living in a fridge I imagine.

How do you manage?
I suppose it's what you're use to. 90 or 100 degree weather doesn't bother me. I just don't like the cold. Below 50, I freeze. I stay outside a lot, do my yard work, cut the grass and having plenty of water. I'd rather it be 100 than 50. but that's me. I suppose I have an advantage as I have received training on how survive, live and work in hot weather by the army. I always put that to good use.

I did notice after spending 10 years in Southeast Asia, I returned to the states in July and felt cold all the time. I live in Georgia, but it still gets way too cold in the winter for me even down here.

I'll go back to it being what you're use to. You do get acclimatize.

As long as it stays between 5 c and 25 c I don’t complain.

I can’t stand snow or ice. But I don’t see them much.

How?

I honestly think I'd die in that heat as the UK can become unbearably hot and that's nothing compared to what you guys get.

We had a guy at work who had lived in the Texas for 20 years and was moving back to the UK and bringing his wife and kids who were born in Texas with him and for them, this place will feel like living in a fridge I imagine.

How do you manage?
If it were not for ubiquitous AC, sunbelts would have far fewer people.

Sitting in the pool now post sunset. Gonna be very hot for next 6 days.

Arizona.
in the desert it is going to be 113 to 117 range most of next week. Bad news it will only cool off to the high 80's low 90's at night.

A/C a must.
stay hydrated.
When outside, hats are a must, stay in shade as much as possible.
Any yard work is done real early in the morning.

But hey, so far its a dry heat.

"But hey, so far its a dry heat."

So is hell. Having once lived in Phoenix, I remember stepping out of my front door and out of the AC was like stepping into a blast furnace. You could be outside for a few minutes in a full suit because sweat dried before soaking into your clothes. Construction crews started at first light and quit at noon.

45+ years ago, you probably didn't HAVE AC. LOL!!

Anyway, I'm not THAT new to Colorado.

And, barely breaking 80 in the summer months and still in the 50s at night, CO Sprgs doesn't need AC. I'll have to admit, though, it can get up to 90. At my age, I can't handle 90 but for a few minutes.

Depends where in the Desert. If you are in the Phoenix area cooling off is only going to be down to the high 80's and low 90's.

Not much relief. But is is cooler than the daytime highs:LOL:

Less torture is a relief.

"But hey, so far its a dry heat."

So is hell. Having once lived in Phoenix, I remember stepping out of my front door and out of the AC was like stepping into a blast furnace. You could be outside for a few minutes in a full suit because sweat dried before soaking into your clothes. Construction crews started at first light and quit at noon.

So true regarding construction workers.

Not sure what is worse. I have been in Colorado when the temps got to -22. Then there is Arizona with the +110 temps.

"dangerously hot weather" contributes to your happiness? I face much the same weather. I'm happy. But there is nothing happy about such weather unless I can offset it with AC and positive thought. In which case I can't enjoy the outdoors. I wouldn't call that happy in and of itself. Like most anybody else, though, I succumb to happiness no matter what the condition.

BTW, "Be happy" connotes positivity. If in your memory, remember "Be happy!" Smiley face?

How?

How do you manage?
Is there anywhere in the UK where it is near zero hummidity? Hot does not mean the same thing world wide.

Summer is here and she's angry.
qUJJndf.png

Growing up, swamp coolers were all that all we used. They did a great job, just as well as A/C at a fraction of the cost. They are also very easy and cheap to repair.
They are not cheap anymore, I remember buying window swamp collers for around 100 bucks, now they want 600-1k for one that cools about the same as a 110 dollar window ac unit, despite being vastly cheaper to use.

It is a shame, since swamp coolers work so well in dry environments, but greedy people decided that since it cost the fraction of the cost of an ac to run, they needed to jack up the price by leaps and bounds. It is nothing more than a water pump, some mesh, a hollow steel cage and spider vanes to feed the mesh, all very cheap materials. In fact many of the swamp coolers I remember used straw as the mesh rather than any fancy material.

Most of the maintenance I remember on them was cleaning sand out of them a few times a year and cleaning out drowned scorpions so they would not clog the pump as they seemed to love getting in there but could never get out.

How?

How do you manage?

It is going to get to 111 Farenheit in the California Central Valley this week. We have central air conditioning, but we also have standing fans, ceiling fans and we leave the lights off and blinds and curtains drawn during daylight hours.

They are not cheap anymore, I remember buying window swamp collers for around 100 bucks, now they want 600-1k for one that cools about the same as a 110 dollar window ac unit, despite being vastly cheaper to use.

It is a shame, since swamp coolers work so well in dry environments, but greedy people decided that since it cost the fraction of the cost of an ac to run, they needed to jack up the price by leaps and bounds. It is nothing more than a water pump, some mesh, a hollow steel cage and spider vanes to feed the mesh, all very cheap materials. In fact many of the swamp coolers I remember used straw as the mesh rather than any fancy material.

Most of the maintenance I remember on them was cleaning sand out of them a few times a year and cleaning out drowned scorpions so they would not
yes and there is no dry climate in the UK.

It is going to get to 111 Farenheit in the California Central Valley this week. We have central air conditioning, but we also have standing fans, ceiling fans and we leave the lights off and blinds and curtains drawn during daylight hours.
lived in Fresberg

Summer is here and she's angry.
qUJJndf.png
I dealt with socal weather that hit 130 on temp guages, but the local media swore it was no more than 115, so either every temp guage on earth was innacurate or the media was lying to prevent panick.

Either way it was miserable but bearable, I dealt with 140 degree temps in afghanistan and close to that in kuwait, the elders in afghanistan said it had not been that hot since the 1970's, and it is hard to guage as temp records in the middle east are not as well recorded. But despite this it was all dry heat, I will say 120 in dry heat is much more bearable than 80 degrees in extreme humidity.

Be lucky, the most miserable places on earth for heat are in south and central america, in areas where 90 degrees is an extreme heat wave, hoever near the rain forests humidity is always sky high, to put it simply in the past the us military put jungle training as a necessity, because how extreme such environments can be over a hot dry desert.

Now imagine over 100 degrees in texas with very high humidity, it is an oddity as the more the temp rises above 105-110 the cooler it gets because humidity goes away. Normally this time of year is fine but we had major floods and rain followed by a 95-105 degree heat wave with the ground still soaked, the lot at the shop I work for still has mud almost a week after the last rain due to how much water fell.

Sunset tonite through smoky skies in PHX.

Sun2.jpgSun1.jpg

So true regarding construction workers.

Not sure what is worse. I have been in Colorado when the temps got to -22. Then there is Arizona with the +110 temps.

Then there is northern AZ , mountainous, and western CO, flat as next-door Kansas. You fall asleep on the highway CO into KS and run off the road, you'll wake up after your gas runs out.

I'm not going to get into a climate change discussion, but the fact is the planet warming up a bit, for whatever reason(s).

So it is going to be interesting over the next 10-20 years on the movement of people in the US... I lived up north all my life, I've known many people who hate the cold, wet damp, snowy weather up here and moved south.. I can't blame them, BUT over the past few years some have moved back because they go tired of the brutally hot weather down south... The day after day of 100 degree weather.

And if it keeps getting hotter................................................................?

I'm not going to get into a climate change discussion, but the fact is the planet warming up a bit, for whatever reason(s).

So it is going to be interesting over the next 10-20 years on the movement of people in the US... I lived up north all my life, I've known many people who hate the cold, wet damp, snowy weather up here and moved south.. I can't blame them, BUT over the past few years some have moved back because they go tired of the brutally hot weather down south... The day after day of 100 degree weather.

And if it keeps getting hotter................................................................?

Some yrs ago, you could've put as many dots before the question mark as you do. Now, not so many. IMO.

Most of the maintenance I remember on them was cleaning sand out of them a few times a year and cleaning out drowned scorpions so they would not clog the pump as they seemed to love getting in there but could never get out.
I never even heard the term "swamp cooler" before; I certainly had no idea how one worked. Now i have only the knowledge gleaned here from the list of material used in in making one and the information that sand and scorpions are found when one cleans them out! That scorpions live where they are used is probably a clue to their origins. There are no scorpions where I live.

I have been reading but not participating in this thread. Since I "have the floor" I wanted to mention that in the discussion of temperature at the Equator, no oe mention the role of elevation. My daughter was born on the Equator in late August in a very cool and temperate climate...at quite a high elevation. Not only did I like the temperatures, but I liked the dearth of bugs.

Only way I would do 40 miles on a bike is if I still had my Goldwing.:giggle:

Glad I am have been retired for many years. I could not do today what the firefighters are faced with doing on the Telegraph fire near Globe.
30 years of wildfires was enough.
Was firefighting your profession? When it comes to forest fires, about which I, blessedly, know nothing, I imagine that there must be community members who volunteer as well as professionals.

Back
Top Bottom