• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Living in Texas or other super hot states?

Peter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have a simple question here.
How?

I honestly think I'd die in that heat as the UK can become unbearably hot and that's nothing compared to what you guys get.

We had a guy at work who had lived in the Texas for 20 years and was moving back to the UK and bringing his wife and kids who were born in Texas with him and for them, this place will feel like living in a fridge I imagine.

How do you manage?

How?

I honestly think I'd die in that heat as the UK can become unbearably hot and that's nothing compared to what you guys get.

We had a guy at work who had lived in the Texas for 20 years and was moving back to the UK and bringing his wife and kids who were born in Texas with him and for them, this place will feel like living in a fridge I imagine.

How do you manage?
Colorado isn't a "super hot" state, but it gets pretty hot. Next week will be in the 90's to low 100's (F) in the Colorado Springs area.

How do I deal with it? AC and elevation.

Colorado Springs is 5,000 feet, give or take. AC is a must. But going into the mountains...say, 9,000 feet...can drop the temp by 10-15 degrees. Tolerable.

We are due for our first dangerously hot weather spell here next week in the inland areas of San Diego county; nineties-100.
I don't go out in it and fortunately we have central air conditioning and lots of ceiling fans.

Colorado isn't a "super hot" state, but it gets pretty hot. Next week will be in the 90's to low 100's (F) in the Colorado Springs area.

Colorado Springs is 5,000 feet, give or take. AC is a must. But going into the mountains...say, 9,000 feet...can drop the temp by 10-15 degrees. Tolerable.

Colorado Springs didn't need AC 45+ yrs ago. But then, you're a new comer. So, you wouldn't know.

Arizona.
in the desert it is going to be 113 to 117 range most of next week. Bad news it will only cool off to the high 80's low 90's at night.

A/C a must.
stay hydrated.
When outside, hats are a must, stay in shade as much as possible.
Any yard work is done real early in the morning.

But hey, so far its a dry heat.

The weather of my own state is now about like I remember the the weather in the upper south being in the 1980s.

We are due for our first dangerously hot weather spell here next week in the inland areas of San Diego county; nineties-100.
I don't go out in it and fortunately we have central air conditioning and lots of ceiling fans.

Desert areas are dry and tend to cool off at night so's one can sleep more comfortably. Be happy.

Colorado Springs didn't need AC 45+ yrs ago. But then, you're a new comer. So, you wouldn't know.
45+ years ago, you probably didn't HAVE AC. LOL!!

Anyway, I'm not THAT new to Colorado.

Desert areas are dry and tend to cool off at night so's one can sleep more comfortably. Be happy.

Depends where in the Desert. If you are in the Phoenix area cooling off is only going to be down to the high 80's and low 90's.

Not much relief. But is is cooler than the daytime highs:LOL:

How?

How do you manage?
You get use to it

Drink lots of water

Colorado’s front range has no humidity (usually) Who needs AC?

How?

How do you manage?
Two words: Air Conditioning.

If I have to work outside during the day I do so in the morning. In the evenings things cool down quite nicely (assuming you don't live in the middle of the city) and it's quite pleasant to sit out for a cocktail or some dinner.

Other things that help are loose fitting clothes and counterintuitively, long pants and long sleeves.

How?

How do you manage?
You adapt to your climate.

You can develop tolerance to both cold and heat and humidity (which is why I tend not to use my AC in June, no matter how hot it gets, or in October/November no matter how cold) and what seemed unbearable becomes merely uncomfortable.

Colorado’s front range has no humidity (usually) Who needs AC?
I do. Less atmosphere to diminish the intensity of the sun makes for increased heat.

ps. I don't like humidity, either.

Where did you get the idea that I wasn't happy?

I wouldn't camp overnight where there's no fresh water but since air conditioning was perfected millions of Americans moved to places where water has to be piped hundreds of miles to them. Well-off people too, lots of them, people used to the government supplying them with what they think they need. Swimming pools, golf courses, things like that.

How?

How do you manage?

We moved BACK TO Los Angeles after ten years in North Texas.
My wife had been a prisoner in the house half the year because her MS meant she could not tolerate Texas' "Saudi Arabia with MORE humidity" style weather.
I just got tired of the blast furnace.
I do miss the thirty or so very very dear friends we have down there though, miss them terribly.

You can develop tolerance to both cold and heat and humidity (which is why I tend not to use my AC in June, no matter how hot it gets, or in October/November no matter how cold) and what seemed unbearable becomes merely uncomfortable.

Not everyone can.
I know because I tried.
Wanna know how hard I tried?
I actually picked a job that had me in ATTICS in the middle of the Texas summer, for two years.
It didn't help at all, and when we speak of an attic in Texas, that's temps in the 140's or higher as you may well know.

I DID actually develop a tolerance to extreme cold though, after living in Minneapolis for five years.

Right. The concept of keeping cool there is ‘shade’.
Good luck finding shade when driving down I25 with the sun shining in your windshield...without AC, you'll cook.

How?

How do you manage?
I grew up in Huntsville Alabama. All I knew was weather associated with the south. Fast fwd and joined the US Navy as it took me to SoCal.

I froze my a$$ off in June. Plus, what is this life without humidity?

Stayed there another 37 years. California is so beautiful and I miss her so. Only the beauty and weather though.

I used to have an eye problem that meant strong sun would give me a migraine, dizziness and eventually I'd just pass out which I have to admit got tiresome real damn quick so I had an eye op.
I'm ok now but strong sun is still not for me so I'd be stuck inside every summer in many places in the US.

How?

How do you manage?

You become acclimated to a degree but a swimming pool in the backyard helps.

For the record, I cannot stand the heat and will be retiring in Maine.

Two words: Air Conditioning.

If I have to work outside during the day I do so in the morning. In the evenings things cool down quite nicely (assuming you don't live in the middle of the city) and it's quite pleasant to sit out for a cocktail or some dinner.

Other things that help are loose fitting clothes and counterintuitively, long pants and long sleeves.

We don't really do AC in the UK.
We have it in shops but I'd say maybe 1/10 houses have it if that.

The thing is I can cope with cold weather as you can always put on a thicker jumper but for some unknown reason going about naked because it's hot is frowned upon in most places.

Back
Top Bottom