• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Live Updates: Haitian Officials Request U.S. Forces

NewfieMom

I read, therefore I am.
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
As was prophesied in another Debate Politics thread about Haiti, the United States may once again be about to intervene in Haitian affairs. At least, the US was just asked to intervene "to stabilize" Haiti. Under the terms of The Monroe Doctrine, this would be in keeping with US values.

"Haitian government officials said they had requested that the United States send in troops to protect Haiti’s port, airport, gasoline reserves and other key infrastructure as the country has descended into turmoil in the wake of the brazen assassination of President Jovenel Moïse early Wednesday morning.

Fears have been growing that unrest in the streets and political turmoil after the attack could worsen what is already the country’s worst crisis in years. Haiti is plagued by political intrigue, gang violence, a public health crisis driven by the pandemic and difficulties delivering essential international aid.

The Haitian minister of elections, Mathias Pierre, said the request was made because President Biden and Secretary of State Antony Blinken had promised to help Haiti."

Better an occupation of Haiti than to have tens of thousands of Haitians fleeing to America.

(it's happened before)

I'm not against helping till they're stable, if that can be done.

It is said that the most productive period in Haiti's sad history is when the United States occupied Haiti during World War One.

Yes, it would great if the United States sent troops to Haiti at this time.

No doubt the Americans would be welcomed with open arms.

I mean...it's hard to see what we can really do. Perhaps momentarily quell the unrest, but Haiti always seems to be going through revolt and upheaval.

I don't know about this. Isn't it going to end up shoring up an incompetent and corrupt government by jumping in? My guess is that a lot of Haitians won't like that at all.

If we go in strictly as a force to protect the ports and infrastructure like airports and power plants, maybe. The people need those to operate. But if we go in there and get in the way of Haitians fighting for what they see as a better government? Won't we end up in another Middle East/ Vietnam/ Afghanistan situation? And if we're there and people are fighting to control those areas to free them from the yoke of an incompetent government, won't we end up in conflict with them?

I suppose the Intelligence Agencies know what's afoot over there, and they'll fill in our CiC.

Just a question. I'm not real versed in Haitian politics.

I don't know about this. Isn't it going to end up shoring up an incompetent and corrupt government by jumping in? My guess is that a lot of Haitians won't like that at all.

If we go in strictly as a force to protect the ports and infrastructure like airports and power plants, maybe. The people need those to operate. But if we go in there and get in the way of Haitians fighting for what they see as a better government? Won't we end up in another Middle East/ Vietnam/ Afghanistan situation? And if we're there and people are fighting to control those areas to free them from the yoke of an incompetent government, won't we end up in conflict with them?

I suppose the Intelligence Agencies know what's afoot over there, and they'll fill in our CiC.

Just a question. I'm not real versed in Haitian politics.
As I have posted, I have not followed the situation in Haiti until this assassination. I am trying to catch up. In the reading I am doing I came across an article published in "The Nation". It is behind a paywall, but the same information is available at this link. I found it useful.

As I have posted, I have not followed the situation in Haiti until this assassination. I am trying to catch up. In the reading I am doing I came across an article published in "The Nation". It is behind a paywall, but the same information is available at this link. I found it useful.

Thank you! Sounds like my worries aren't unfounded.
Good read.

Better an occupation of Haiti than to have tens of thousands of Haitians fleeing to America.

(it's happened before)

Or rather than Putin or some other rogue state offering help in exchange for "strategic favors".
I don't want to see a terrorist base installed 700 miles off our shores, so if we need to save Haiti, we better get busy.

(it's happened before)
Especially since not a single dose of vaccine has been administered there.

Back
Top Bottom