• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Listing President Obama and the Democrats positive accomplishments

The President and Congress made changes to college financial aid, to make it easier for adults to attend.

That's a very good, non partisan accomplishment.

Here is one since everyone seemed to have read over it.

Here's a list of 120 promises Obama has kept from Politifact. They list 22 promises as having been broken and another 81 stalled. Other than that, here's a few things congress did: enact the fair play act of 2009 which amends the Civil Rights act, they reauthorized the children's health insurance program which was originally introduced and sponsored by Orrin Hatch and Kennedy. There was the awful credit card act of 2009. They passed the Omnibus Appropriations Act, along with the Public Land Management Act. They also did the cash for clunkers thing which was very, very popular and received very well by Americans.

Obama also lifted the federal ban on embryonic stem cell research, which was great. In July of this year, they passed the comprehensive Iran Sanctions Act, which I'm sure you enjoy. That same month, they passed the Wall Street reform which had bi-partisan support and was badly needed. They confirmed two Supreme Court nominees. Other than that, they passed health care and a number of economic stimulus bills, which I'm sure you don't like.

That's about a third of the legislation they enacted and I didn't get into what was proposed, shot down, or pigeon-holed. But hey, it's a good list to start with!

If I believe you asked this question with an open mind than I probably would respond.

Have you seen me shoot down anyones response?

I'm just curious what those of you on the left believe the democrat controlled congress, senate and white house has gotten for you.

I am not following your reasoning here.

For example. If you believed the $863 billion in stimulus was a good move, then why is it no democrats are using that in their re-election campaigns?

I take it you have nothing then?

Or is trying to discredit the thread so you can avoid such an uncomfortable question all you have to offer?

Wrong. Subtle isn't your long suit, is it?

Have you seen me shoot down anyones response?

I'm just curious what those of you on the left believe the democrat controlled congress, senate and white house has gotten for you.

Overall not very much. I see their accomplishments as essentially neutral towards what I believe this country actually needs to be great again. For example the health care thing was a flop, we should have had single payer. Obviously Gitmo is still open. We should have pulled out of the middle east yesterday. The financial reform bill was not nearly strong enough. The stimulus should probably have been a WPA style works program. And obviously the tax cuts need to expire.

My main issue right now is that the democrats are way too conservative and corporately controlled (bribed) for my taste and for the good of the country (and yes, despite what someone like Beck might tell you, us liberals do care greatly about this country). However, the green party is bat**** insane, so I am stuck since no party actually represents me. I think conservatives pretty much feel the same way about the representation part. Obviously they have their own ideas about the first paragraph though.

For example. If you believed the $863 billion in stimulus was a good move, then why is it no democrats are using that in their re-election campaigns?

I don't know, I haven't been paying much attention to campaigns outside of my state.

Last edited:
Overall not very much. I see their accomplishments as essentially neutral towards what I believe this country actually needs to be great again. For example the health care thing was a flop, we should have had single payer. Obviously Gitmo is still open. We should have pulled out of the middle east yesterday. The financial reform bill was not nearly strong enough. The stimulus should probably have been a WPA style works program. And obviously the tax cuts need to expire.

My main issue right now is that the democrats are way too conservative and corporately controlled (bribed) for my taste and for the good of the country (and yes, despite what someone like Beck might tell you, us liberals do care greatly about this country). However, the green party is bat**** insane, so I am stuck since no party actually represents me. I think conservatives pretty much feel the same way about the representation part. Obviously they have their own ideas about the first paragraph though.

I don't know, I haven't been paying much attention to campaigns outside of my state.

That's a good list of stuff there... It all seems to be what you wanted them to do, rather than what they actually did, but that's cool.

So tell me, is anyone in your state running on the platform of making Obamacare single payer, closing Gitmo asap, pulling the troops out of the middle east right now, or letting the Bush tax cuts expire? If so, who are they? If not, why aren't they running on these things if they are the things you see as being what America needs from the democrats in Washington?

That's a good list of stuff there... It all seems to be what you wanted them to do, rather than what they actually did, but that's cool.

So tell me, is anyone in your state running on the platform of making Obamacare single payer, closing Gitmo asap, pulling the troops out of the middle east right now, or letting the Bush tax cuts expire? If so, who are they? If not, why aren't they running on these things if they are the things you see as being what America needs from the democrats in Washington?

I don't watch tv much, so the only campaign commercials I have seen is Roy Barne's and his theme is that the republicans are idiots and anti-education (which I believe to be true on both counts) but its mostly about state issues.

But yeah, thats pretty much a list of stuff that I think would be the best thing to do, but politics is about compromise which makes nobody happen and usually makes for crappy legislation. I would probably we happier if be were totally conservative or totally liberal and had some sort of theme running through the laws of the country. At least they would make sense, be streamlined, and have reasoning beyond compromise and special interest. If there was one ideology more dominant (either one) we would also have a better foundation to build our society on too for the private sector as it would be more predictable.

Last edited:
Don't expect many intelligent responses.

This type of threads are the main reason I won't vote Republican, like ever.

It is a shame because I thought it was a really good thing that came out of Congress. I mean it isn't often they do something that is universally good. Plus making it easier for adults to attend college means a better education and better jobs which will probably end in better pay and less people off wellfare. And no it gives less people an excuse to be on it anyways.

Off the top of my head:
-Did a decent enough job with the wars so far, and kept to his word with drawback times
-Passed a decent if not flawed foundation for health care reform
-Helped USA's world image
-Strangely, seems to have opened up the can of worms on racial dialogue again, hopefully something we can get ironed out more since it apparently has been pent up in people for a very long time.
-Got some new supreme court justices
-Made sure US didn't turn into Greece or Spain
-Put more money into the border and immigration
-A good start of a credit and wallstreet reform was created, creating a new cabinet to help protect consumers
-temporarily lowered taxes for a "stimulus"
-Government sites have a bit more transparency and are easier to navigate, reforming the IRS to make it more efficient

That's what I can think of. I'm going to see what that list says and if I agree with it. That sounds like way to much crap for him to have actually done.

Back
Top Bottom