• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lindsey Graham -- quintessential bureaucrat

Because the negativity is primary coming from Conservatives, who fear her because she’s so unrelentingly competent.

You know that some ran on the promise to deny her the "title"?
About three dozen Democratic candidates in competitive races came out against Pelosi to varying degrees, according to surveys of news reports, but the vast majority of them are not expected to win their elections.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-congress-pelosi-speaker-20181107-story.html

The main reason she will be Speaker is that nobody dares oppose her.

Click back to the following
Don't know about the Russian dirt thing, but Republicans entering Trump's office as critics and leaving his office as koolaid drinkers is an extremely common occurrence. He's either genuinely charismatic or he has biggest bag of blackmail in the universe.

It has been said that she visited " many offices" before she went to Hawaii, making sure she will be speaker. Of course we aren't privy to the conversations, but one must wonder, with all the negativity surrounding Ms Pelosi, why are we led to believe that she will be speaker?

Mmm. Fascinating. Just out of curiosity, is Pelosi going to be the next big thing for hijacking threads? Is Hillary Clinton no longer effective for steering a topic off course?

My favorite Graham quote: "My party has gone bat**** crazy."

Graham: Withdrawal of US troops in Syria could lead to Kurdish deaths

Graham is right up there with Putin, Kim, Xi and Ergodan in knowing how to butter up our ignorant, narcissistic president.

He acts like a outraged lunatic during the Kavanaugh hearings because he knows Trump, The Audience of One, will respond well to that.

And when he wants Trump to keep the troops in Syria, he is in perfect position to deliver the perfect message with the perfect punchline.

If anything can keep Trump from walking out on the Kurds, those will be the magic words. "Something Obama would never do."

I read your post and laughed out loud.

I can remember a time when the Democratic party would not stand for the U.S. sending our troops into another country to engage in their civil war without approval of Congress. Obama never sought that approval yet the Dems were just fine with it. If a Republican would do that the Dems would be screaming bloody murder. Then comes along Trump and says he wants to start bringing our troops back home. In the past the Dems would have cheered such a decision. But because it is Trump they have totally walked away from what they once stood for to be in opposition......TO RESIST!

When Mattis resigned over Trump's decision to pull the troops out of Syria the Democrats put on sack cloth and ashes speaking doom and gloom over Mattis' departure yet Mattis was fired when he served under Obama and not a peep out of them of his departure then from the Dems.

As far as leaving the Kurds defenseless that is a bold face lie. There have been caravans of truckloads of ammo and supplies pouring in to the Kurds before Trump announced his decision. The troops in Iraq are on the border constantly bombing the remnant of ISIS. And we are still providing air power. So stop the BS that the Kurds are being left defenseless. Even Graham whom you quoted has now said after talking with Trump about the situation he is at ease with pulling our troops out of Syria.

I am starting to see Trump transforming the Democratic party in what it once believed on several things from military conflicts, to border security to free speech and more. To oppose Trump, to resist him they are actually changing what they once stood for.

Click back to the following

Well, I don't see that as being relevant to Pelosi, but I can think of another reason why Republican Congressmen walk out of Trump's office with a different attitude that when they walk in...and that is that Trump has information they don't know. He has a strategy they don't understand. When he explains it to them, they realize he is on the right track.

He and Rand Paul are being pragmatic. In order to enact their policies they need to be nice to Trump. Republicans that have followed the Corker/Flake route have failed miserably.

This is called politics.

Rand Paul is something else altogether. A 5th columnist for Moscow.

Trump might reconsider. But the he will remember how far out on the "leave Syria" plank he has walked and decide not to saw it off behind him.

In fact even the way Trump has framed the discussion leaves him no real options:
To Erdogan according to Trump: We are outta' here!
To us according to Trump: I gave the Generals six months and then I gave them another six months after that and another six months after that.

He has rejected his Sec of Def all the way up to a caustic resignation and NOW Trump is going to saw off that plank he is waaaaaaayyyy out on????? I doubt it.

Maybe Trump is demonstrating just how little power POTUS has when it comes to these things? Maybe he is showing that such decisions do not actually belong to POTUS, but rather to his "generals" behind the scenes?

I doubt that Trump is that sophisticated in his messaging, but anything is possible.

Has she? I don't know. I only know that Republicans have been entering Trump's office saying, "Catapulting babies into a volcano is bad!" and coming out saying "We need to catapult all the babies into a volcano right now!"

It really is bizarre how Republicans can change their position by 180 degrees so consistently.

qft .

My favorite Graham quote: "My party has gone bat**** crazy."

I agreed with him, and so I left the party.

I had hoped that he would provide some balance from within, but he capitulated completely to Trump and became Trump's agent in spreading the crazy. I keep seeing glimmers that maybe he has some long game which could save us from Trump's excesses, hence this thread, and then we see him meet with Trump for lunch and fold again.

Graham does what ever Master tRump wants him to do.

Yeah, but on the flipside...when Limbaugh and Coulter speak...Trump listens.....

I agreed with him, and so I left the party.

I had hoped that he would provide some balance from within, but he capitulated completely to Trump and became Trump's agent in spreading the crazy. I keep seeing glimmers that maybe he has some long game which could save us from Trump's excesses, hence this thread, and then we see him meet with Trump for lunch and fold again.

I feel like deep down inside, there's a reasonable Graham who wants his party and his president to pivot back to a more reasonable, moderate place. But that Graham never comes out--we only get the version who's a puppet of tRump, in a chain of puppetry that starts with Vladmir Putin.

Yeah, but on the flipside...when Limbaugh and Coulter speak...Trump listens.....

That's because the CEC base is Trump's base.

Well, I don't see that as being relevant to Pelosi, but I can think of another reason why Republican Congressmen walk out of Trump's office with a different attitude that when they walk in...and that is that Trump has information they don't know. He has a strategy they don't understand. When he explains it to them, they realize he is on the right track.

The idea you presented above...

I would like to expand on that idea since I noticed this happens quite often when Trump had meetings with other adversaries behind closed doors and they also change their attitude towards him after the meetings.

Perhaps, Trump's public persona is far different than the man they meet behind closed doors.

Perhaps, that public persona which causes his adversaries to underestimate him which gives them the opportunity to constantly ridicule him in public.

And, that is something he uses to his advantage and when they meet him behind closed doors, they are surprised by a very different man.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underestimate

: to think of (someone or something) as being lower in ability, influence, or value than that person or thing actually is.

I base this idea, on a personal experience I had years ago.

When four "trailer park" housewives battled two Mobile-home Park Owners when the our City dropped rent control.

The park owners sent out paperwork raising our rents. A $400.00 increase in a four month time period.

Then they sent out paperwork that they were changing our family park to an adult park. Which would have devalued of our homes.

The City forced us into mediation. The park owners underestimated how prepared we were to prove rent control should be reinstated.

They were so unprepared that the mediator was trying to help them against us.

Our local newspaper interviewed us. Mediation failed.

We went to City Hall to do research on the park. We found the conditional use permit, which they violated.

They put in a permit for an adult park and violated that permit by opening up the new park as a family park.

We filled the City Hall seats, before giving our speeches, We asked the people sitting in the seats to stand if they wanted rent control reinstated.

Everyone in the room stood up.

The park owners underestimated us> plus we had the advantage over them based on the fact that when you fill City Hall with potential unsatisfied voters..

And, have gone to every Mobile-Home park in the City and had all of those voters sign petitions in favor of rent control... The Elected Officials take notice!

To make a long story short, rent control was reinstated and is still in place to this day.

Roseann:)

The idea you presented above...

I would like to expand on that idea since I noticed this happens quite often when Trump had meetings with other adversaries behind closed doors and they also change their attitude towards him after the meetings.

Perhaps, Trump's public persona is far different than the man they meet behind closed doors.

Perhaps, that public persona which causes his adversaries to underestimate him which gives them the opportunity to constantly ridicule him in public.

And, that is something he uses to his advantage and when they meet him behind closed doors, they are surprised by a very different man.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underestimate

: to think of (someone or something) as being lower in ability, influence, or value than that person or thing actually is.

I base this idea, on a personal experience I had years ago.

When four "trailer park" housewives battled two Mobile-home Park Owners when the our City dropped rent control.

The park owners sent out paperwork raising our rents. A $400.00 increase in a four month time period.

Then they sent out paperwork that they were changing our family park to an adult park. Which would have devalued of our homes.

The City forced us into mediation. The park owners underestimated how prepared we were to prove rent control should be reinstated.

They were so unprepared that the mediator was trying to help them against us.

Our local newspaper interviewed us. Mediation failed.

We went to City Hall to do research on the park. We found the conditional use permit, which they violated.

They put in a permit for an adult park and violated that permit by opening up the new park as a family park.

We filled the City Hall seats, before giving our speeches, We asked the people sitting in the seats to stand if they wanted rent control reinstated.

Everyone in the room stood up.

The park owners underestimated us> plus we had the advantage over them based on the fact that when you fill City Hall with potential unsatisfied voters..

And, have gone to every Mobile-Home park in the City and had all of those voters sign petitions in favor of rent control... The Elected Officials take notice!

To make a long story short, rent control was reinstated and is still in place to this day.

Roseann:)

Similar situation, different outcome:

Developer wanted a zone variance. All residents were opposed. At the City Council meeting, the lawyer for the developer realized the room was filled with opposition. When the item came up, the lawyer requested it be held in abeyance until the next monthly meeting. That request was granted and no one was allowed to speak in opposition.

The next month, the same situation. Room was filled with opposition, it was held in abeyance until the next month.

This went on for months. These were working people who lost hours of wages every time they took time off from work. Eventually, convinced they were never going to be heard, they stopped showing up. Eventually, there was no one there to oppose, and the city council passed the variance. And the councilman's response when people railed against them? Why weren't you at the meeting? Why didn't you speak up?

Best city government money can buy.

Similar situation, different outcome:

Developer wanted a zone variance. All residents were opposed. At the City Council meeting, the lawyer for the developer realized the room was filled with opposition. When the item came up, the lawyer requested it be held in abeyance until the next monthly meeting. That request was granted and no one was allowed to speak in opposition.

The next month, the same situation. Room was filled with opposition, it was held in abeyance until the next month.

This went on for months. These were working people who lost hours of wages every time they took time off from work. Eventually, convinced they were never going to be heard, they stopped showing up. Eventually, there was no one there to oppose, and the city council passed the variance. And the councilman's response when people railed against them? Why weren't you at the meeting? Why didn't you speak up?

Best city government money can buy.

That is so sad! In our case, we had housewives and retired seniors.

Roseann

He and Rand Paul are being pragmatic.

The Putin regime just loves their Senator ... Rand Paul.

Dvv-Is2W0AACfzS.jpg

Russia Channel 1 screen grab

US Senator Pand Paul ... touted on Russian television quite regularly.

The Putin regime just loves their Senator ... Rand Paul.

Dvv-Is2W0AACfzS.jpg

Russia Channel 1 screen grab

US Senator Pand Paul ... touted on Russian television quite regularly.

Got any credible links?

Back
Top Bottom