• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Limiting military recruiters serves no useful purpose

JOHNYJ said:
Any institution,school,college, that bans Recruiters should have its federal funds cut,period.

Why? We (citizens of Portland) pay taxes that (are supposed to) go towards school costs. We are not (and should not be) requiered to let the federal government decide what should go on in our hallways.
I live in Maine and I don't see any problem with having designated areas and times for millitary recruiters. Why should they just get to walk all over school? Like someone already said; If a kid wants to join, (s)he'll find them. As long as they are available so that the kids who want them can find them, what's the problem?

righteousbabe said:
Why? We (citizens of Portland) pay taxes that (are supposed to) go towards school costs. We are not (and should not be) requiered to let the federal government decide what should go on in our hallways.
I live in Maine and I don't see any problem with having designated areas and times for millitary recruiters. Why should they just get to walk all over school? Like someone already said; If a kid wants to join, (s)he'll find them. As long as they are available so that the kids who want them can find them, what's the problem?

Look at it this way if it was not for the recruiters recruiting people there would be a draft in future wars.Soldiers in a volunteer army are more efficiant and better trained soldeirs drafted inthe last minute are not.If it was not for the military we would not have country.

righteousbabe said:

Thay is the way its done.........A recruiter sets up shop in a designated area of the school....

jamesrage said:
Look at it this way if it was not for the recruiters recruiting people there would be a draft in future wars.Soldiers in a volunteer army are more efficiant and better trained soldeirs drafted inthe last minute are not.If it was not for the military we would not have country.
I think you are being a bit extreme her. Weren't there recruiters during the years that conscription was around? Limiting the movements of recruiters in High Schools will not bring about another draft. There are still commercials and recriuters actively pushing the military message. If someone wants to join the military (in a serious manner) they'll find the recruiter or they'll go on line. If anyone one has an interest in anything this is the day and age of information to find out about anything.

Gibberish said:
Other then visitors are not allowed on most campus's without an appropriate pass and appropriate reason during school hours (trying to sell something isnt an appropriate reason). No there is nothing limiting their ability to show up.

Equal Access is all thats needed

YNKYH8R said:
I think you are being a bit extreme her. Weren't there recruiters during the years that conscription was around? Limiting the movements of recruiters in High Schools will not bring about another draft. There are still commercials and recriuters actively pushing the military message. If someone wants to join the military (in a serious manner) they'll find the recruiter or they'll go on line. If anyone one has an interest in anything this is the day and age of information to find out about anything.
American young people are the most pampred and least civic minded people I ever ever seen in my life.It is reflected on the way they act in those vacuous TV shows like O C . What America needs is NATIONAL SERVICE . You give 2 years to the military or VISTA . No exemptions for anything but mental or physical defects. Evryone goes.

YNKYH8R said:

Ever heard of the old saying don't bite the hand that feeds you? The reason why many choose the military as a career is because of all the benifits.That benifits increase as long as it is a volunteer Army.The second Uncle Sam realizes that they have to force people into the military and that you have no choice then they have no obligation to try to keep you in.It Amazes me how liberals criticize the military for not letting gays be open about their sexuality in the military and then bash the military because of the conflicts and wars it get involved in.

I just don't see us being as close to conscription as some people make it.

YNKYH8R said:
I just don't see us being as close to conscription as some people make it.

I don't see conscription occuring anytime soon........

Schools to limit visits by military

By BETH QUIMBY, Portland Press Herald Writer
Copyright © 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

Military and college recruiters may visit Portland's public high schools no more than seven times a year, under a policy adopted by the Portland School Committee Wednesday night.
The policy is apparently the first of its kind in Maine. The action follows moves by the School Committee to limit military recruitment. For instance, this fall the committee made it easier for students to opt out of providing their contact information to military recruiters by allowing them to check off a box on their mandatory emergency notification cards.
"All sorts of folks are competing for our children's commitment," said Stephen Spring, head of the subcommittee that drafted the policy.
School districts nationwide are debating whether to limit military recruitment amid headlines of overly aggressive tactics by some recruiters.
Under the federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, schools that receive federal funding are required to release students' contact information to military recruiters unless a student requests in writing that the information be kept private. Schools also are required to provide military recruiters the same access to students as college and employment recruiters receive.
Portland's new policy, called the Equitable Recruitment Access Policy, directs each school staff to designate a single area where recruitment may take place. (cont.)

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/051208recruiting.shtml?survey70530

Back
Top Bottom