• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Limiting military recruiters serves no useful purpose

Navy Pride said:
I think any school that bans recruiters should have their federal funding stopped.......That would put a quick end to that nonsense....

Agreed .....

hipsterdufus said:
Many schools DO restrict some college recruiters from coming on campus. They are invited guests and are not automatically guaranteed an audience with students.

Imagine if every college in the world visited a particular campus. It would be a constant parade of recruiters 24/7.

The problem that I have with the subject is the little known provision of NCLB that REQUIRES schools to furnish the info and addresses of junior and senior students to the military for recruitment purposes.

Also these military recruiters have been documented as saying the war is like a big video game and other fallacies. Tell it like it is please.

The military is also LOWERING standards and falsifying student drug use to help bring up the numbers. (Lynndie England got in just fine before the standards were lowered). :roll:

abu_graib.jpg

Don't compare the two... If the situation occurred today the liberals would have given up on both in a matter of weeks. We are not fighting a real war. We are playing a PC war game.

YNKYH8R said:
Okay…wait a minute. You would want to cut funding for schools that limit or completely remove recruiters from their halls? What if they limit or completely remove certain college scouts?

Who are you hurting more the schools or the students?

That is a totally different issue.........When it comes to recruiting for the military you are talking about our national defense........

When I joined the Navy I was recruited out of high school and in that recruitment I learned of programs I qualified for........I would have never known about them if recruiters had not been allowed on campus....

Calm2Chaos said:
Thats one organized day for them to come. Is there anything limiting there ability to show up on other days

Other then visitors are not allowed on most campus's without an appropriate pass and appropriate reason during school hours (trying to sell something isnt an appropriate reason). No there is nothing limiting their ability to show up.

YNKYH8R said:
But wouldn't cutting federal funding affect the students education?
Thats a distinct possibility - one the local school systems should consider when they chose to not accept that money. What is more important to them - their ability to edicate their kids or to make their petty little political point?

What would you wnat in place od the DOEd?
Education is the sole purview of the states; the Federal Government has absolutely no power (and thus no place) to deal with education in any way shape or form.

Calm2Chaos said:
If your going to restrict the millitary, then you need to do the same for colege recruiters. It seems pretty simple to me

Most of the time, the only way a college actively recruits a potential student, are atheletic coaches, on the university's behalf. And the athlete who plays football, baseball, basketball, etc.. knows this will happen, because it's what they WANT to happen. Aggressive recruiting by the military is not necessary. What that says to me is that the people VOLUNTARILY going to a recruiter's office aren't enough.. they are desperate for more. Tell me, if you go to look at a car, but don't purchase, and the salesman calls you everyday for a week, wondering if you're going to buy the car.. would you? I know I wouldn't. The same with a recruiter. If one were to get in my face with his pitch, and I wasn't seeking out the information, loving uncle sam or not, the recruiter would be put in his place in a second. Same rules should apply across the board, period.

I think there's some merit to restricting this ****, cause kids are young and impressionable, yet the military isn't right for everyone. Back in high school my dad kicked me out for a day or so, but I didn't know I was gonna get let back in, and then me and my buddy ran into this army recruiter and went to hang out at the recruitment office, and that guy lied through his ****ing teeth for hours (he even ****ing told me that Guns 'n Roses wrote "Welcome to the Jungle" while they were stationed in Vietnam!) And we almost joined, and I think at that time that would've been horrible for me.

I think there's some merit to restricting this ****, cause kids are young and impressionable, yet the military isn't right for everyone. Back in high school my dad kicked me out for a day or so, but I didn't know I was gonna get let back in, and then me and my buddy ran into this army recruiter and went to hang out at the recruitment office, and that guy lied through his ****ing teeth for hours (he even ****ing told me that Guns 'n Roses wrote "Welcome to the Jungle" while they were stationed in Vietnam!) And we almost joined, and I think at that time that would've been horrible for me.

Thats exactly the **** I'm talking about. Military recruiters act like they are trying to sell something to me.

No under age kid in High School can sign up after graduation without a parents consent.........

College is a whole new ball game though

No under age kid in High School can sign up after graduation without a parents consent.........

Yeah but they do this stuff even before college.

Navy Pride said:

LMAO that's a crock and you know it, because no minor, under the age of 18, UNLESS they've been Emancipated by the courts, can sign ANY type of contract without their parent's knowledge and signature. So if Joe schmo commits to Football U. at the age of 17, mom and/or dad's signature is right there with him. End of story.

FinnMacCool said:
Yeah but they do this stuff even before college.

Yeah that is why you have to get a parents approval as a senior in High school........I know because I had to do it........

debate_junkie said:
LMAO that's a crock and you know it, because no minor, under the age of 18, UNLESS they've been Emancipated by the courts, can sign ANY type of contract without their parent's knowledge and signature. So if Joe schmo commits to Football U. at the age of 17, mom and/or dad's signature is right there with him. End of story.

I am talking about joining the military......I am not talking about recruiting a jock....

YNKYH8R said:
A working group of Portland School Committee members has put much effort into fashioning a policy on military and college recruiting in the schools, but it's worth taking a step back to ask why such a policy is needed.
The subcommittee wants to restrict recruiters to seven visits a year and wants them to operate from designated locations. Backers of the change say this approach will do nothing to alter the recruiting practices of colleges and universities. It would, however, force a change in the way the military approaches students.
No matter how supporters of the policy try to dress it up, the underlying agenda is restricting military recruitment. Stephen Spring, a School Committee member who backs the proposal, acknowledges as much.
So the question School Committee members should be asking is not whether the proposal is well thought out - it's clear that those who crafted it have discussed the matter thoroughly. The question is, what problem would the policy solve?...(cont.)

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/viewpoints/editorials/051201recruit.shtml

I think limiting military recruiters will kick us in the ass in the long run.These people who are for limiting military recruiters are only begging for a draft to be brought back.Soldiers drafted in the last minute are not as efficiant as soldiers who been in the army for a few years.

jamesrage said:
I think limiting military recruiters will kick us in the ass in the long run.These people who are for limiting military recruiters are only begging for a draft to be brought back.Soldiers drafted in the last minute are not as efficiant as soldiers who been in the army for a few years.

Don't worry James all the government has to do is threaten to take away federal funding if the schools don't allow recruiters on campus then all those anti military types will crawl back under their rock.......

Navy Pride said:
I am talking about joining the military......I am not talking about recruiting a jock....

Re-read your own post. The language implies that a minor cannot sign up for the military without parental consent, but they can sign up to attend college. If that is not the message you intended, perhaps a little rewording is in order. Ya know, Say what ya mean.. Mean what ya say :2wave:

debate_junkie said:
Re-read your own post. The language implies that a minor cannot sign up for the military without parental consent, but they can sign up to attend college. If that is not the message you intended, perhaps a little rewording is in order. Ya know, Say what ya mean.. Mean what ya say :2wave:

Like I said I don't know about recruiting jocks for college.......I will bow to your expertise there..I am still talking about militarry recruiting........

Navy Pride said:
Like I said I don't know about recruiting jocks for college.......I will bow to your expertise there..I am still talking about militarry recruiting........

the law is the same for both.. just as a minor cannot enlist in the military without parental consent, so is the same with a minor enrolling in college. And as far as jocks go, when they've accepted a university's offer, still the same. Mom and/or dad must sign on the dotted line with them

Navy Pride said:
Don't worry James all the government has to do is threaten to take away federal funding if the schools don't allow recruiters on campus then all those anti military types will crawl back under their rock.......

You might be right.

debate_junkie said:
the law is the same for both.. just as a minor cannot enlist in the military without parental consent, so is the same with a minor enrolling in college. And as far as jocks go, when they've accepted a university's offer, still the same. Mom and/or dad must sign on the dotted line with them

Okey dokey.....;)

Navy Pride said:

Public schools are primarily financed by state and local taxes.

Most Federal funding for public schools is directed towards support of students from low-income families or special programs.
The two largest programs are special education and the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture school food program.

I still haven't seen a good explanation of why they need to be on campus in the first place!

And it's not anti-military. They don't need to be disrupting classes.

BWG said:
Public schools are primarily financed by state and local taxes.

Most Federal funding for public schools is directed towards support of students from low-income families or special programs.
The two largest programs are special education and the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture school food program.

I still haven't seen a good explanation of why they need to be on campus in the first place!

And it's not anti-military. They don't need to be disrupting classes.

Public universities get federal Funding.I know because my son goes to the University of Washington.......

A working group of Portland School Committee members has put much effort into fashioning a policy on military and college recruiting in the schools, but it's worth taking a step back to ask why such a policy is needed.

I thought we were talking about public schools (high schools) in this case, because of the mention of college recuiting and underage kids signing contracts.

If I misunderstood, my apologies.

If we're talking high schools, I'm still asking why allow the disruption of classes so many times during the year?

And mine has already graduated from a public university, so what!!

Navy Pride said:
Public universities get federal Funding.I know because my son goes to the University of Washington.......
Yeah well the article is about a High school not college.

Any institution,school,college, that bans Recruiters should have its federal funds cut,period.

Back
Top Bottom