• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Limiting military recruiters serves no useful purpose

YNKYH8R

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A working group of Portland School Committee members has put much effort into fashioning a policy on military and college recruiting in the schools, but it's worth taking a step back to ask why such a policy is needed.
The subcommittee wants to restrict recruiters to seven visits a year and wants them to operate from designated locations. Backers of the change say this approach will do nothing to alter the recruiting practices of colleges and universities. It would, however, force a change in the way the military approaches students.
No matter how supporters of the policy try to dress it up, the underlying agenda is restricting military recruitment. Stephen Spring, a School Committee member who backs the proposal, acknowledges as much.
So the question School Committee members should be asking is not whether the proposal is well thought out - it's clear that those who crafted it have discussed the matter thoroughly. The question is, what problem would the policy solve?...(cont.)

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/viewpoints/editorials/051201recruit.shtml

YNKYH8R said:
A working group of Portland School Committee members has put much effort into fashioning a policy on military and college recruiting in the schools, but it's worth taking a step back to ask why such a policy is needed.
The subcommittee wants to restrict recruiters to seven visits a year and wants them to operate from designated locations. Backers of the change say this approach will do nothing to alter the recruiting practices of colleges and universities. It would, however, force a change in the way the military approaches students.
No matter how supporters of the policy try to dress it up, the underlying agenda is restricting military recruitment. Stephen Spring, a School Committee member who backs the proposal, acknowledges as much.
So the question School Committee members should be asking is not whether the proposal is well thought out - it's clear that those who crafted it have discussed the matter thoroughly. The question is, what problem would the policy solve?...(cont.)

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/viewpoints/editorials/051201recruit.shtml

From my experience and from experience while I was in school and several friends still in school military recruiters are taking the role of an aggressive solicitors. They are not just waiting for people to come seek information but out in the public places agressively soliciting. Confining recruiters to certain locations can give students space to study, socialize, and generally relax between classes without being interrupted by unwanted recruiters.

I see no problem with just handing out pamphlets in every location but those recruiters need to refrain from selling and just simple state to read through the pamphlet and if the person wants more information to contact the recruiter.

Yet another attempt by arrogant, partisan professors, and administrators, to change the landscape of America to one of their personal visions. Any public school should be open to our armed forces, if they can deal with obnoxious professors, they can handle a few recruiters.:roll:

If your going to restrict the millitary, then you need to do the same for colege recruiters. It seems pretty simple to me

You know what I think is sad? That you all think it's okay for these recruiters to grab people to sell joining the armed forces. It sounds absolutely desperate if you ask me. And if being in the service was so great, why are they having to use these aggressive tactics? If someone really wanted to join the service, don't you think they would be taking the time to seek the recruiters out?

Calm2Chaos said:
If your going to restrict the millitary, then you need to do the same for colege recruiters. It seems pretty simple to me

I thought that was why "college day" was created. That is so in Los Angeles atleast. College recruiters only come on that one day a year.

aps said:
You know what I think is sad? That you all think it's okay for these recruiters to grab people to sell joining the armed forces. It sounds absolutely desperate if you ask me. And if being in the service was so great, why are they having to use these aggressive tactics? If someone really wanted to join the service, don't you think they would be taking the time to seek the recruiters out?

There is nothing wrong with being aggresive, as a salesman, I know this first hand. If they have crossed a certain line, they can be reported through the proper channels. It's very difficult to convince some people to sacrifice for their country, and to risk their lives, this is not an easy task.

Gibberish said:
From my experience and from experience while I was in school and several friends still in school military recruiters are taking the role of an aggressive solicitors. They are not just waiting for people to come seek information but out in the public places agressively soliciting. Confining recruiters to certain locations can give students space to study, socialize, and generally relax between classes without being interrupted by unwanted recruiters.

I see no problem with just handing out pamphlets in every location but those recruiters need to refrain from selling and just simple state to read through the pamphlet and if the person wants more information to contact the recruiter.
I agree. It was obvious to me that the person who wrote this editorial hadn’t been in the high school experience in some time.

If someone has a burning desire to join the military they’ll find the recruiters. Just like some colleges. If you’re looking for one you’ll find it. One part that was a little off was the comment about students thinking a lot about their decision to join before joining. This isn’t always true. I knew people who joined on a whim to hate it later; this happens from time to time. And I’ve never seen a recruiter who turned anyone away.

Gibberish said:
I thought that was why "college day" was created. That is so in Los Angeles atleast. College recruiters only come on that one day a year.
I don't beleive we have that in Maine.Otherwise the point of the editorial would be moot.

Calm2Chaos said:

Your view is pretty simple. When a kid signs up for a college, he is free to pull out at any point. When a kid signs up for the military, if he signs and tries to pull out, he'll be put in jail for desertion. How can you equate signing up for college to signing up for the military?

Deegan said:
There is nothing wrong with being aggresive, as a salesman, I know this first hand. If they have crossed a certain line, they can be reported through the proper channels. It's very difficult to convince some people to sacrifice for their country, and to risk their lives, this is not an easy task.
Exactly. Moreover, students on campus should know some of the good benefits of enlisting, even if it's just to be in the guard/reserve to help pay for the overinflated tuition prices.

I'd rather have aggressive recruiters than a draft.

Shuamort and Deegan, I really don't appreciate your disaggreeing with me. Just who do you think you two are?

;)

Yeah, I see your point.

I was actually really interested in joining the military up until very recently. One of the things that turned me off was that I began to realize that when you join the military, its like you give away your freedom. I don't like that. I've admired authors who have fought in the military but they fought wars against fascism. I mean I wouldn't mind dying for something like that but I dunno. I just wouldn't want to fight for something I'm not completely sure is right. The gov't could force me to go anywhere.

One thing though that did turn me off was the methods which they tried to attract teenagers. For example they made a game called America's Army (which is a great game btw) that was pretty much for recruitment purposes and also their MTV style commericals with the ****ing hip hop and metal music in the background bug me. Especially when they have people with guns running around and portraying them in a fashion that makes me think, and I'm probably right, that its propaganda specifically made to make me admire these people and want to be like them. It all seems very shady to me.

When I was in high school (I know, I know, that was ages ago), we had like a career day, a couple of times a year.

Businesses, colleges, military would set up booths/tables in the gym and students could visit whomever they wanted. After the initial contact, the student could set up an appointment at their place of business, campus or office.

I don't think any group should be disrupting the school days throughout the year.

Cremaster77 said:
Your view is pretty simple. When a kid signs up for a college, he is free to pull out at any point. When a kid signs up for the military, if he signs and tries to pull out, he'll be put in jail for desertion. How can you equate signing up for college to signing up for the military?

That is simply not true........He can sign anything he wants but until he is sworn in he can change his mind and opt out.......

I think any school that bans recruiters should have their federal funding stopped.......That would put a quick end to that nonsense....

Navy Pride said:
I think any school that bans recruiters should have their federal funding stopped.......That would put a quick end to that nonsense....
I completely agree.

Navy Pride said:
Okay…wait a minute. You would want to cut funding for schools that limit or completely remove recruiters from their halls? What if they limit or completely remove certain college scouts?

Who are you hurting more the schools or the students?

Navy Pride said:

Thats the thing about federal funding... the federal government can attach any strings it wants. How do you think the drinking age moved to 21 and that the speed limit dropped to 55?

If you want federal money, you play by federal rules. Period.

That aside:
1) I see absolutely NO problem with military recruiters in public schools;
2) The US DoEd should be abolished.

M14 Shooter said:
Thats the thing about federal funding... the federal government can attach any strings it wants. How do you think the drinking age moved to 21 and that the speed limit dropped to 55?

If you want federal money, you play by federal rules. Period.

That aside:
1) I see absolutely NO problem with military recruiters in public schools;
2) The US DoEd should be abolished.
But wouldn't cutting federal funding affect the students education? Is this the kind of sacrifice that we want? What would you wnat in place od the DOEd?

Calm2Chaos said:

Many schools DO restrict some college recruiters from coming on campus. They are invited guests and are not automatically guaranteed an audience with students.

Imagine if every college in the world visited a particular campus. It would be a constant parade of recruiters 24/7.

The problem that I have with the subject is the little known provision of NCLB that REQUIRES schools to furnish the info and addresses of junior and senior students to the military for recruitment purposes.

Also these military recruiters have been documented as saying the war is like a big video game and other fallacies. Tell it like it is please.

The military is also LOWERING standards and falsifying student drug use to help bring up the numbers. (Lynndie England got in just fine before the standards were lowered). :roll:

abu_graib.jpg

hipsterdufus said:
Many schools DO restrict some college recruiters from coming on campus. They are invited guests and are not automatically guaranteed an audience with students.

Imagine if every college in the world visited a particular campus. It would be a constant parade of recruiters 24/7.

The problem that I have with the subject is the little known provision of NCLB that REQUIRES schools to furnish the info and addresses of junior and senior students to the military for recruitment purposes.

Also these military recruiters have been documented as saying the war is like a big video game and other fallacies. Tell it like it is please.

The military is also LOWERING standards and falsifying student drug use to help bring up the numbers. (Lynndie England got in just fine before the standards were lowered). :roll:

abu_graib.jpg
I've read that (about the recruiters) BUT not all recruiters should be lumped into this category. There was an article in Esquire about how a soldier was helped out by his recruiter to beat the drug test. I think that it’s a trend, people see what is going on with the military and political agendas and they show they’re children and kids don’t want to get involved. Heck some high schoolers actually read the newspaper or watch the evening news.

They see what is going on. Of course the military compensates by giving bigger bonuses and other carrots.

Gibberish said:

Thats one organized day for them to come. Is there anything limiting there ability to show up on other days

aps said:

Why shouldn't they be allowed to tell people what the millitary has to offer. Theres more to it then many people think. And this is an oppurtunity to tell people that are presently looking for a carrer what some of the advantages are. Hell using your logic let get rid of al help wanted, career builders, monster, corporate recruiters and temp agencies. If they want a job they will go out and hunt it down...LOL

Cremaster77 said:

Because I am not a raving moron. And when you sign up for the millitary you are well aware of what the terms and conditions are. If your to stupid to know it as just general everyday information, then the recruiters will answer any questions for you and explain to you what you commitments are.....

Back
Top Bottom