• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Lighting the Way To A New Economy"

LiberalAvenger

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
"You may notice that this is a bit different from the greed-driven, money-centered, unjust, unsustainable, undemocratic, and predatory Wall Street ruled economic system we now have, which is why I’m so proud of being part of this organization.

As you know from your own experience, the work we are doing together is incredibly exciting and fun. It brings us into association with the world’s most thoughtful, creative, loving, and generous people. Present company is a great example. It is also serious work, because the institutions of the old economy threaten our viability as a species. It is profoundly spiritual work, because it is about re-establishing our connection to community and Earth."

Lighting the Way to a New Economy by David Korten — YES! Magazine

Last edited:
"You may notice that this is a bit different from the greed-driven, money-centered, unjust, unsustainable, undemocratic, and predatory Wall Street ruled economic system we now have, which is why I’m so proud of being part of this organization.

As you know from your own experience, the work we are doing together is incredibly exciting and fun. It brings us into association with the world’s most thoughtful, creative, loving, and generous people. Present company is a great example. It is also serious work, because the institutions of the old economy threaten our viability as a species. It is profoundly spiritual work, because it is about re-establishing our connection to community and Earth."

Lighting the Way to a New Economy by David Korten — YES! Magazine

Gordon Gekko (from the movie obviously): "Greed, in all of its forms; Greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Milton Friedman: "The world runs on individuals pursuing their separate interests. The great achievements of civilization did not come from government bureaus. Einstein did not construct his theory under order from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford did not revolution the auto industry that way. In the only cases in which the masses have escaped from grinding poverty, is where they have had capitalism and free trade."

Greed is a good thing, why on Earth would we attempt to eliminate it?

Gordon Gekko (from the movie obviously): "Greed, in all of its forms; Greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Milton Friedman: "The world runs on individuals pursuing their separate interests. The great achievements of civilization did not come from government bureaus. Einstein did not construct his theory under order from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford did not revolution the auto industry that way. In the only cases in which the masses have escaped from grinding poverty, is where they have had capitalism and free trade."

Greed is a good thing, why on Earth would we attempt to eliminate it?

Because love of money is the root of all evil.

If we are going to play the arcane blame game; at least realistic.

Women are the root of all evil ;-)

Hardly, greed (or "love of money") has created things like better medicines, etc, all to create a better quality of life. How is that "evil"?

Hardly, greed (or "love of money") has created things like better medicines, etc, all to create a better quality of life. How is that "evil"?

A lot of medical research is funded by the government, especially through universities and so on. What good is it when the people who really need it can not afford it because of the monopolies of big pharm.

A lot of medical research is funded by the government, especially through universities and so on.

What drugs has the government developed and marketed on its own?

What good is it when the people who really need it can not afford it because of the monopolies of big pharm.

How these companies maintain their monopolies is with government help. Governmental assistance in the maintenance of a monopoly is not a "free market" system.

What drugs has the government developed and marketed on its own?

How these companies maintain their monopolies is with government help. Governmental assistance in the maintenance of a monopoly is not a "free market" system.

I did not say that. I said that medical research was funded by the government, not done by the government. Care to show me where I said that?

I did not say that. I said that medical research was funded by the government, not done by the government. Care to show me where I said that?

Umm, I just asked a question from what I interpretted your comment to mean. No need to get all defensive.

How about this. What percentage of overall medical research does the US government fund then?

Umm, I just asked a question from what I interpretted your comment to mean. No need to get all defensive.

How about this. What percentage of overall medical research does the US government fund then?

I am not being defensive. I am merely stating what I said and not what you said I said.

medical research funding by the US government is approx. 36% Research funding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alright, so next question. With that 36% of funding, what drugs, medical devices, has the government successfully developed and marketed?

I did not say that they developed or marketed any drugs. I said they funded research for them and we, the taxpayers, picked up the tab.

I did not say that they developed or marketed any drugs. I said they funded research for them and we, the taxpayers, picked up the tab.

So...all of this "research" produced what then?

Back
Top Bottom