• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Life on Earth has another good 1.75 billion years to go, study says

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
NO, and you can't prove that it easily might. My premise still stands.

How do you prove a 'might'? You say there's a 30% chance that it will rain tomorrow. If it rains, are you 30% correct? If it doesn't are you 70% correct, or 100% correct? One doesn't have to prove that something will happen with 100% probability for it to be sensible to take steps to avert it or to take precautions.

My weather forecast tells me there's 5% chance of rain here tomorrow. I'm going out walking. Would it do any harm for me to take a waterproof?

The meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs was only 60 million years ago; There could easily be another similar sized meteorite hit earth in the next 1.75 billion years.

The meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs was only 60 million years ago; There could easily be another similar sized meteorite hit earth in the next 1.75 billion years.

Yes, there well might, but because I can't prove that there will be, we should dismiss that possibility... according to American.

Also, that meteorite didn't wipe out life on Earth, did it?

I wouldn't say it has another "good" 1.75 billion years to go. I didn't see any references to specific forms of life, so it could well be that the 1.75 billion years applies to microbes. Not to mention the mass extinctions that happen due to climate changes.

Life on Earth has another good 1.75 billion years to go, study says - NBC News.com

You warmers can kiss my ass. Even if that time was cut in half, you can kiss my ass. Your temper tantrums about warming are silly.

Yes I posted about this with proper research findings yesterday. I used it as an alignment of us in time of our life here. Multicelular complex life started 500 millions of years ago, we started appearing only 200,000 years ago, and we will only get to be here for 3.25 billion years more at most. If nothing happens in the meantime.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/science-and-technology/153227-origins-life-7.html

Glad the debate about what could potentially cut us short from living the remaining time in this earth is taking here. When it comes to mass extinction theories there are usually 4, and those are: a) Kill, b) Chill, c) Ill, and d) Meteorite/comet.

A has to do with us killing each other, usually about resources, increased heat, whatever. Chill has to do with climate change and ice ages. Ill has to do with an unexpected virus that kills us all. Lastly there is d.

You warmers can kiss my ass. Even if that time was cut in half, you can kiss my ass. Your temper tantrums about warming are silly.
I hope you're joking.

The claim has nothing to do with AGW or its effects, nor (as already noted) has anyone suggested AGW would kill every life form on the planet. They're talking about windows of opportunity for life to develop on a planet that's in a habitable zone.

I don't think anyone who believes in global warming argues that its going to end all life on Earth.

This argument is a straw man.

Oh really, with a forum dedicated to global warming who could think anything else?

I wouldn't say it has another "good" 1.75 billion years to go. I didn't see any references to specific forms of life, so it could well be that the 1.75 billion years applies to microbes. Not to mention the mass extinctions that happen due to climate changes.

Okay, so it'll be a good 900 millions years if we don't change.

I hope you're joking.

The claim has nothing to do with AGW or its effects, nor (as already noted) has anyone suggested AGW would kill every life form on the planet. They're talking about windows of opportunity for life to develop on a planet that's in a habitable zone.

I'd say that to the warmers.

Okay, so it'll be a good 900 millions years if we don't change.
An impossibility. Humans will have probably evolved into something else long before then. If I had to put an expiration label on Earth... without proper action... no more than 5,000 years for many species.

Life on Earth has another good 1.75 billion years to go, study says - NBC News.com

Couple of problems here.

1) From the article:

Earth could continue to host life for at least another 1.75 billion years, as long as nuclear holocaust, an errant asteroid or some other disaster doesn't intervene, a new study calculates.

In no way does this article suggest that Climate change is, or is not a factor.

You're making that comment without anything to support it.

2) This article focuses strictly to matters of the sun and it's expansion... in regards to creating the possibility of life in our solar system.

You're reaching... and there's nothing to grab.

3) this was already posted.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/envir...73186-we-wont-burn-up-over-billion-years.html

Couple of problems here.

1) From the article:

In no way does this article suggest that Climate change is, or is not a factor.

You're making that comment without anything to support it.

2) This article focuses strictly to matters of the sun and it's expansion... in regards to creating the possibility of life in our solar system.

You're reaching... and there's nothing to grab.

3) this was already posted.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/envir...73186-we-wont-burn-up-over-billion-years.html

1) You messed up your quotes. :lol:

2) I don't care.

An impossibility. Humans will have probably evolved into something else long before then. If I had to put an expiration label on Earth... without proper action... no more than 5,000 years for many species.

Yeah, we'll probably be able to breath CO2.

I don't care.

Exactly.

You don't care.

Which is why you got caught with your pants down telling fibs.

The article in your OP Has nothing to do with Climate Change.

Again it's strictly about the expansion of the sun and how it affects the planets in its orbit.

Would you like to address that?

Exactly.

You don't care.

Which is why you got caught with your pants down telling fibs.

The article in your OP Has nothing to do with Climate Change.

Again it's strictly about the expansion of the sun and how it affects the planets in its orbit.

Would you like to address that?
No doubt you'd like to catch me with my pants down. You caught nothing, stop fantasizing.

God to love it when people post links about things they don't understand.

Also, that kinda sucks. Looks like our 2 Billion Future Party is off guys.

No doubt you'd like to catch me with my pants down. You caught nothing, stop fantasizing.

Then do you care to explain how orbital changes and expansion of the sun means anything about the atmosphere?

Oh really, with a forum dedicated to global warming who could think anything else?

We have a forum dedicated to gun control, do you think gun control is going to end all life on earth? We also have one devoted to humor and jokes, are humor and jokes going to end all life?

Your line of reasoning sucks.

:shrug: Others will replace them.

Back
Top Bottom