• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness....Are You ****tin Me?

Oil wars declared by politicians who know their kids won't have anything to interfere with their ivy league education while the serfs do battle. What if the A students, kids with political connections and NASCAR heroes had to serve?

Every few weeks another kook goes on a killing rampage and because of political contributions and the influence of the NRA we can't even get a law passed to check backgrounds or set up a national registry to track military style weapons.

Toxic assets gimmicks and trillion dollar handouts. Insider trading and Ponzi schemes on Wall St. not to mention CEO's loading their boards of directors with friends and drawing $150 million a year.

Corrupt government and under the table, back room deals.

Meth labs and illegal drug traffic more prevalent than ever before.

Folks sittin' behind a desk watching their monitors and shuffling papers and drawing a fortune while single Moms work two jobs to keep their lights on and their water running.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.....Really?

This country has become one of Lords and Serfs. Surely you are smart enough to realize that.
No onw said thew "pursuit of happinesss" was supposed to be easy, or handed to you on a platter. The fact is every day people WORK and change their lives. Every day people from ****ty backgrounds work their way out of their biological parents bad decisions. For you to play the victim card and blame your woes on those that found success...well...it wont improve your life but I suppose while you are wallowing in your misery it will make you feel all better haing someone else to blame.

New immigrants come here with nothing (legally and illegally and do what you think is impossible to do. The work, they find jobs, they start businesses...they succeed. 28% of all new businesses in America were started by immigrants in 2011. Not by chance...not because of the largess of their well to do families...but due to their own hard work and desire to succeed. They GET IT. They understand the pursuit of happiness comes through THEIR efforts. This year alone there have been over 300,000 new millionaires. They GET IT...they have to work to change their destiny an cant bitch whine and moan because others succeed where they havent.

Wars have always had a political element, regardless of who perpetrates and who serves. Education and preparation has always been the difference between who cleans the fryer and who counts the daily proceeds and who watches the stock tickers. Grow the **** up.

The usually parade of clowns lined up before the blood was even sticky starting thier tirades against guns, AR15s, background checks, registration. Sunovabitch...who woulda thunk the guy purchased his SHOTGUN legally, using a background check, and no AR15 eeeevil assault rifle was used. But hey...never let a crisis go to waste.

Oh...and meth labs are much less prevalent in the US than they were 10 years ago.Its far easier to produce the product in mejico and import it. Safer too. And a better product. Oh...sure...some of the kids have learned how to make the 2 liter bottle labs, but those arent good for mass production. Still...whats your point? People use drugs...usually those low income types you were just bleating on about...creating a market. Lord knows...suppliers fill demand.

PURSUIT of happiness. Not happiness in a Target gift card. You learn the difference there...you might actually have a shot at something.

LOL.....If he was a Wall St. monitor watcher he would wait for the next bubble they manage to create for themselves. One thing they all have in common....they want to travel the highways, use the schools, use every facility ever created by the government and pay no taxes.

You do realize that the top 10% pay over 70% of the taxes aren't you? The rich pay for everything the poor use.

I guess you didn't notice the biggest of his jobs proposals going down in flames. It looked too much like programs which succeeded during FDR's more than 3 terms...at least to the Republican house. The infrastructure in this country is in arguably the worst shape in 30 years and before a Republican would approve a program to put folks back to work and see the president get recognition for it they would die. In my favorite dream I see the politicians who have stood in the way of everything this president has wanted or has tried to do losing their bid for re-election by a landslide.

Ahhh, yes...like a true liberal you favor spending money we don't have...borrowing more money for infrastructure projects that don't have the result you say they will. (think stimulus bill) And then you blame Republicans because Congress doesn't want to throw more good money after bad.

Perhaps you and Obama should put your heads together and come up with something that will actually do some good, eh? Maybe then he...and you...will finally get the recognition you both desire.

Oil wars declared by politicians who know their kids won't have anything to interfere with their ivy league education while the serfs do battle. What if the A students, kids with political connections and NASCAR heroes had to serve?

Every few weeks another kook goes on a killing rampage and because of political contributions and the influence of the NRA we can't even get a law passed to check backgrounds or set up a national registry to track military style weapons.

Toxic assets gimmicks and trillion dollar handouts. Insider trading and Ponzi schemes on Wall St. not to mention CEO's loading their boards of directors with friends and drawing $150 million a year.

Folks sittin' behind a desk watching their monitors and shuffling papers and drawing a fortune while single Moms work two jobs to keep their lights on and their water running.

This country has become one of Lords and Serfs. Surely you are smart enough to realize that.

Your right. Since 2009,wealth inequality has grown. Who is potus since then?
One clue. It isn't Bush.

No onw said thew "pursuit of happinesss" was supposed to be easy, or handed to you on a platter. The fact is every day people WORK and change their lives. Every day people from ****ty backgrounds work their way out of their biological parents bad decisions. For you to play the victim card and blame your woes on those that found success...well...it wont improve your life but I suppose while you are wallowing in your misery it will make you feel all better haing someone else to blame.

New immigrants come here with nothing (legally and illegally and do what you think is impossible to do. The work, they find jobs, they start businesses...they succeed. 28% of all new businesses in America were started by immigrants in 2011. Not by chance...not because of the largess of their well to do families...but due to their own hard work and desire to succeed. They GET IT. They understand the pursuit of happiness comes through THEIR efforts. This year alone there have been over 300,000 new millionaires. They GET IT...they have to work to change their destiny an cant bitch whine and moan because others succeed where they havent.

Wars have always had a political element, regardless of who perpetrates and who serves. Education and preparation has always been the difference between who cleans the fryer and who counts the daily proceeds and who watches the stock tickers. Grow the **** up.

The usually parade of clowns lined up before the blood was even sticky starting thier tirades against guns, AR15s, background checks, registration. Sunovabitch...who woulda thunk the guy purchased his SHOTGUN legally, using a background check, and no AR15 eeeevil assault rifle was used. But hey...never let a crisis go to waste.

Oh...and meth labs are much less prevalent in the US than they were 10 years ago.Its far easier to produce the product in mejico and import it. Safer too. And a better product. Oh...sure...some of the kids have learned how to make the 2 liter bottle labs, but those arent good for mass production. Still...whats your point? People use drugs...usually those low income types you were just bleating on about...creating a market. Lord knows...suppliers fill demand.

PURSUIT of happiness. Not happiness in a Target gift card. You learn the difference there...you might actually have a shot at something.

You know who's to blame for all of this. Reagan and the Bushes and their unfunded wars and low tax rates for their wealthy buddies. We used to have a middle class. I'm one of those who was lucky enough to be part of it. Ironically the Republicans were my party until that goddam greedy Ronald Reagan changed everything.

They do. Don't make the mistake of making generalizations that you know nothing about.

You know who's to blame for all of this. Reagan and the Bushes and their unfunded wars and low tax rates for their wealthy buddies. We used to have a middle class. I'm one of those who was lucky enough to be part of it. Ironically the Republicans were my party until that goddam greedy Ronald Reagan changed everything.
:lamo

Thats just some hilarious funny, **** right there. Sad...pathetic...but still...funny as hell. Faced with absolute proof that illegal and legal immigrants regularly do what you claim cant be done, you g all Reagan/Bush. Thats...pathetic.

but still...hilarious!!!

I went out on the front lawn because I had a hankering for serf & turf. :mrgreen:

You do realize that the top 10% pay over 70% of the taxes aren't you? The rich pay for everything the poor use.

What's it worth to have a bunch of serfs going to your oil wars and dying or coming home with missing limbs or mental problems while the rich worry about which ivy league school to attend? In the heat of the invasion of Iraq there was one...that's One member of congress who had a kid over there. That isn't a very high percentage when we're talking about 535 senators and representatives. Now the number of those in the congress who ever served themselves is dwindling. Nixon did away with the draft and took us off the gold standard. Believe you me there was a purpose for what he did....to serve the rich and corporations.

We need a law which forces all able bodied youngsters between the age of 18-25 to serve three years and then see how anxious the assholes are to invade some country 10,000 miles away where we have no business to begin with.

Last edited:
We need a law which forces all able bodied youngsters between the age of 18-25 to serve three years and then see how anxious the assholes are to invade some country 10,000 miles away where we have no business to begin with.
They would still find a way to get them moved to non-combat or something similar. So your goal is to outright remove the freedom of the 18-25 year olds, in order to annoy their old man? Why are you so willing to give away other peoples freedoms to benefit your own pet issue of annoying congress? If the worst abuses you face from the rich fat cats in power is that their kids don't voluntarily join the military...compared to all the other nations in the world and in history, I'd say you're getting off pretty easy.

They would still find a way to get them moved to non-combat or something similar. So your goal is to outright remove the freedom of the 18-25 year olds, in order to annoy their old man? Why are you so willing to give away other peoples freedoms to benefit your own pet issue of annoying congress? If the worst abuses you face from the rich fat cats in power is that their kids don't voluntarily join the military...compared to all the other nations in the world and in history, I'd say you're getting off pretty easy. I do sort of like the idea of everyone serving though. The military may not like that though....

Historical perspective, missing in this one.

What's it worth to have a bunch of serfs going to your oil wars and dying or coming home with missing limbs or mental problems while the rich worry about which ivy league school to attend? In the heat of the invasion of Iraq there was one...that's One member of congress who had a kid over there. That isn't a very high percentage when we're talking about 535 senators and representatives. Now the number of those in the congress who ever served themselves is dwindling. Nixon did away with the draft and took us off the gold standard. Believe you me there was a purpose for what he did....to serve the rich and corporations.

I don't know what that has to do with the rich paying most of the taxes.

They would still find a way to get them moved to non-combat or something similar. So your goal is to outright remove the freedom of the 18-25 year olds, in order to annoy their old man? Why are you so willing to give away other peoples freedoms to benefit your own pet issue of annoying congress? If the worst abuses you face from the rich fat cats in power is that their kids don't voluntarily join the military...compared to all the other nations in the world and in history, I'd say you're getting off pretty easy. I do sort of like the idea of everyone serving though. The military may not like that though....

Face it Spec, you are a LORD, a land lord. You have done very well for yourself in this country you seem to have no great love for.

The total market value of my 9 houses is about $550K, the price of one McMansion. I seriously doubt this affords me, at the age of 70, the status of Lord. As to your claim "country you seem to have no great love for" I'd like to know what you base that on? Do I love my cats more than my country? Yes, probably. Do you not have anyone that you love which might then allow me to say of you "country you seem to have no great love for" since you love something else?

If "I've done well for myself" it's been through my own efforts, not from inheritance or the government.

So, please explain or retract your (IMHO) criticism.

LOL.....If he was a Wall St. monitor watcher he would wait for the next bubble they manage to create for themselves. One thing they all have in common....they want to travel the highways, use the schools, use every facility ever created by the government and pay no taxes.

I guess you didn't notice the biggest of his jobs proposals going down in flames. It looked too much like programs which succeeded during FDR's more than 3 terms...at least to the Republican house. The infrastructure in this country is in arguably the worst shape in 30 years and before a Republican would approve a program to put folks back to work and see the president get recognition for it they would die. In my favorite dream I see the politicians who have stood in the way of everything this president has wanted or has tried to do losing their bid for re-election by a landslide.

I've paid more taxes in 3 years than you've paid in your lifetime so that accusation is both far-fetched and utterly false. You have never heard me complain about taxes, your robotic rhetoric holds no water.

I guess you didn't notice that there was a $700 billion dollar stimulus that disappeared into the pockets of a chosen few. This money was supposed to have been invested in infrastructure. Was it? Not as far as I can tell, and guess who was the President at the time (HINT: Not Bush). Have the GOP been an impediment? Yes, they have. Has Obama been part of that impediment and participatory in redirecting this stimulus to his financial supporters? Yes.

The reason Obama won by a "landslide" was the utter lack of opposition, not the strength of Obama's management abilities. He's a weak President, just a good politiker. I voted for him in 2008 but I could not do so again in 2012.

What's it worth to have a bunch of serfs going to your oil wars and dying or coming home with missing limbs or mental problems while the rich worry about which ivy league school to attend?

What are you asking?

In the heat of the invasion of Iraq there was one...that's One member of congress who had a kid over there. That isn't a very high percentage when we're talking about 535 senators and representatives. Now the number of those in the congress who ever served themselves is dwindling.

What are you suggesting? That 18-25 year olds from meager backgrounds should no longer have the freedom to join the military, or that the 18-25 year old children of congresspeople should no longer be free not to?

You appear to want to pass a federal law about everything you dislike about the world. No, we don't need that law. Very wasteful thinking on your part.

I don't know what that has to do with the rich paying most of the taxes.

Maybe you can ask him to post his chart again, not that it explains anything you asked but it takes up a lot of lines! :)

The total market value of my 9 houses is about $550K, the price of one McMansion. I seriously doubt this affords me, at the age of 70, the status of Lord. As to your claim "country you seem to have no great love for" I'd like to know what you base that on? Do I love my cats more than my country? Yes, probably. Do you not have anyone that you love which might then allow me to say of you "country you seem to have no great love for" since you love something else?

If "I've done well for myself" it's been through my own efforts, not from inheritance or the government.

So, please explain or retract your (IMHO) criticism.

Yes you have done well for yourself in this system you don't seem to like much. As libs go you are really an OK guy but I get tired of libs complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under.

Yes you have done well for yourself in this system you don't seem to like much. As libs go you are really an OK guy but I get tired of libs complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under.

I'm perplexed that after so many civil and respectful conversation we've had plus a few thousand other posts I've made, that you consider me a "Lib". Can you refer me to any statement in any thread where I've been complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under?

I've complained about specific aspects and individual topics but I - and I've said this before - am NOT affiliated with Lib or Con, right or left, D or R. I'm a registered independent and I am independent. I know its easier to pick a side and follow the program you are given but I just can't bring myself to do that.

In this very thread, I've authored posts 9, 14, 16, 19, 22 and 41. If you will show me the courtesy of re-reading those posts and identifying anything I said that can be identified as complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under, I will write you a formal letter of apology and make a $20 donation to DP in your honor. Be sure that you are reading what I said - not what Campbell said that I responded to.

Now, have I complained about things? Sure. Hasn't everyone. But you are trying to make it sound as if I was some sort of America-hater and that neither true nor fair. Hell, I'm complaining about your complaining about my complaining. But I'm surprised that you - one of the most civil of conversationalists - would accuse me of disparaging the "system".

As far as my doing well - which Campbell thinks equates me to Carlos Slim - that's really subjective. As I pointed out, I live modestly. My multiple properties (whose total value could be the price of one or two houses) are indeed the accumulation of 55 years of work. If you haven't saved anything up by the time you're 70, that makes you doing poorly - not me doing well. I've worked hard and lived below my means because I don't utilize credit. This was not a gift from "the system". I've paid my taxes and the only money I ever received from the government is my SS check which began at the age of 66. I paid in $180K so I'm hardly feeling guilty about my monthly return of my own money.

I'm perplexed that after so many civil and respectful conversation we've had plus a few thousand other posts I've made, that you consider me a "Lib". Can you refer me to any statement in any thread where I've been complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under?

I've complained about specific aspects and individual topics but I - and I've said this before - am NOT affiliated with Lib or Con, right or left, D or R. I'm a registered independent and I am independent. I know its easier to pick a side and follow the program you are given but I just can't bring myself to do that.

In this very thread, I've authored posts 9, 14, 16, 19, 22 and 41. If you will show me the courtesy of re-reading those posts and identifying anything I said that can be identified as complaining about the very system they have prospered so handsomely under, I will write you a formal letter of apology and make a $20 donation to DP in your honor. Be sure that you are reading what I said - not what Campbell said that I responded to.

Now, have I complained about things? Sure. Hasn't everyone. But you are trying to make it sound as if I was some sort of America-hater and that neither true nor fair. Hell, I'm complaining about your complaining about my complaining. But I'm surprised that you - one of the most civil of conversationalists - would accuse me of disparaging the "system".

As far as my doing well - which Campbell thinks equates me to Carlos Slim - that's really subjective. As I pointed out, I live modestly. My multiple properties (whose total value could be the price of one or two houses) are indeed the accumulation of 55 years of work. If you haven't saved anything up by the time you're 70, that makes you doing poorly - not me doing well. I've worked hard and lived below my means because I don't utilize credit. This was not a gift from "the system". I've paid my taxes and the only money I ever received from the government is my SS check which began at the age of 66. I paid in $180K so I'm hardly feeling guilty about my monthly return of my own money.

OK, maybe I have misunderstood your post, every once in a while I jump to conclusions.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom