• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

life is pointless

You lack purpose.

life is pointless

therefore your free

free to follow hedonism

You are not the first to feel that life is pointless. For example, Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament. Maybe everyone feels that way sometimes. Maybe something about the human mind makes us feel like there ought to be a "point."

But if there is a point, why should we know what it is? Wouldn't that spoil the whole adventure, knowing where it's leading up to? Like skipping ahead to the end of the movie.

There is a "point," or many "points," but we can't see them all. If you had a passion in your life, that would be enough reason to live. The point of your life could be experiencing that passion, and you might not think beyond that.

And there is nothing wrong with physical pleasure, as long as it isn't something addictive or unhealthy. Just simply existing is pleasure. Pain is a signal that makes us aware the body is not happy about something.

Life is what you want it to be.

Nihilism is only applied like this by the ignorant.
Some of americas greatest writers wrote about nihilism. Hemingway wrote cannery row as a good example.
Nihilism was strong political movement in russia and was wiped out by the revolution.

Omniscient is not a nihilist in any sense of the word. He is simply someone who is shallow thinking things through.
Steinbeck wrote Cannery Row.

when people have pleasure they dont realize the truth, that their life is pointless,
Sure they can/do///
because the pleasure distracts them from that fact
So does pain...
when people are in pain they realize the truth. that it is all pointless
Wrong... they want the pain to end.
its only pleasure that keeps us from suicide.
Wrong... it is suicide to stop the pleasure.
give anyone enough pain and they will beg for death
Nope... some will relish the pain and beg for more...

The point of life is survival. It’s why your lungs will breathe in fresh air and breath out waste gases. What you choose to do until your last breath is just that — a choice. Your body will always choose life.
He is talking about the mind... not the body...

Hemingway wrote some OK ones but they were mostly grandiose and boring.
Have you seen that thread called something like, "I am old enough to remember". Well I am old enough that hemingway was the most entertaining thing around.

Have you seen that thread called something like, "I am old enough to remember". Well I am old enough that hemingway was the most entertaining thing around.
That is true... I was judging by more modern standards... hell, a good camp fire joke was cutting edge 10,000 years ago.

You lack purpose.
His father's slap on the head is not enough for him.
The author is mistaken in the use of terms relative to himself-nihilism.
No, no, no, no... that's right - infantelism.
The identity of the individual declared in the West in recent decades, this is fine... but I don't understand why everyone thought it was their business.
The personality was Luther King, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Ronald Reagan... only a fat, self-gelling dependent who writes nonsense on the Internet from a legion of his own kind has nothing to do with these people. Useless not only to society, but often an abuser to his own family... I'm a talking personality!
No, you're nobody. You have lived as a nobody and nothing will change after your death.

life is pointless
Albert Camus addressed this in The Myth of Sisyphus. Why doesn't a person kill themselves? What is it that keeps a person wanting to continue their life? That is the meaning of life, to each of us.

The exact quote is "The literal meaning of life is whatever you're doing that prevents you from killing yourself".

He is talking about the mind... not the body...
The mind and the body is intricately intertwined. Both are supported by a self survival instinct and what you do with either is a matter of choice. Choice is the meaning of life.

It depends on your circumstance. Being white and male in the USA is pretty good life, as long as you do not buy the lies that the grievance industries are selling. Personally, I never understood why those born rich and living in luxury are so damned angry.

Its a shallow and phony life filled with enough diversions to ignore its oppression, even of the oppressor himself. But it always nags at him, or her. A constant source of dissatisfaction of which he has no idea how to combat because it involves combatting virtually everything he or she has come to see as profound and true.

Too be honest, people of color and the poor probably have a greater shot at happiness because they have been left out of this monstrous culture that seeks pleasure and reward through the fruitless and superfluous quest for things, dependent upon the market or the government and not not through the essential quest of the use of the mind, acutely and intricately attentive to the world.

Thoreau talked quite a bit about this.

His father's slap on the head is not enough for him.
The author is mistaken in the use of terms relative to himself-nihilism.
No, no, no, no... that's right - infantelism.
The identity of the individual declared in the West in recent decades, this is fine... but I don't understand why everyone thought it was their business.
The personality was Luther King, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Ronald Reagan... only a fat, self-gelling dependent who writes nonsense on the Internet from a legion of his own kind has nothing to do with these people. Useless not only to society, but often an abuser to his own family... I'm a talking personality!
No, you're nobody. You have lived as a nobody and nothing will change after your death.
Being a "somebody", making change that extends beyond my life, is not my purpose. Simply put, I dont care about those things, so your attempted intuitive words bear no weight upon me.

I've chosen my purpose, and my life, by extension, has meaning.

Albert Camus addressed this in The Myth of Sisyphus. Why doesn't a person kill themselves? What is it that keeps a person wanting to continue their life? That is the meaning of life, to each of us.

The exact quote is "The literal meaning of life is whatever you're doing that prevents you from killing yourself".
I prefer the eastern translation...the purpose of life is to find purpose.

life is pointless

therefore your free

free to follow hedonism

actual-nihilism.jpg

So happiness is the pursuit of fleeting pleasure and empty gratification?

The purpose of life is to survive (live), the choices in life support the purpose. But the meaning of life is to care (love). If you don't care about life, you're lost and will make poor choices and question survival.

Last edited:
Hemingway wrote some OK ones but they were mostly grandiose and boring.
Ok ones? The Nobel Committee disagreed.
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place was brilliant and the amount of story he put into The Snows of Kilimanjaro would have supplied a lesser writer with enough material for three novels. For Whom the Bell Tolls and The SuncAlso Rises are two of those that I've reread several times but one of his best was Death in the Afternoon.
So there.

Ok ones? The Nobel Committee disagreed.
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place was brilliant and the amount of story he put into The Snows of Kilimanjaro would have supplied a lesser writer with enough material for three novels. For Whom the Bell Tolls and The SuncAlso Rises are two of those that I've reread several times but one of his best was Death in the Afternoon.
So there.
Can I recover from this thrashing? ;)

Can I recover from this thrashing? ;)
And I didn't even mention The Old Man and The Sea.
Honestly, I thought the Nobel Prize was more of a body-of-work thing than saying The Old Man was his best novel. But it usually is a 'body of work' prize, innit?

And I didn't even mention The Old Man and The Sea.
Honestly, I thought the Nobel Prize was more of a body-of-work thing than saying The Old Man was his best novel. But it usually is a 'body of work' prize, innit?
...and Time gave Hitler the Man of the Year honor...

Back
Top Bottom