• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

life is pointless

@Omniscient

Meh. Get a job, a partner, a pet or a hobby. You've been given the gift of sentience in an amazing cosmos by the feckless universe or a divine agent. If you want to waste that gift of awareness with self-indulgent hedonism, then that's on you. You're so big on the power of your mind to create your own reality, so why not create a world where you have purpose and happiness? Purpose and happiness are acts of the will, not free benefits or lucky circumstances handed to you by the generous world around you. Make your own purpose and run with it. My first suggestion would be learning how to spell and correctly use the words "your" and "you're". That would give me some happiness too and would make you seem more like a thinker and less like a solipsistic dullard.

Cheers and look outwards for a while.
Evilroddy.

The point of life is survival. It’s why your lungs will breathe in fresh air and breath out waste gases. What you choose to do until your last breath is just that — a choice. Your body will always choose life.

body is a house of cards, ready to collapse at any time

a temporary and fragile arrangement. that the universe will eventually destory

@Omniscient
learning how to spell and correctly use the words "your" and "you're".

you're wrong

you are wrong

your wrong

ur wrong

u r wrong

ure wrong

yure wrong

yur wrong

yourre wrong

urre wrong

yurre wrong

u are wrong

u ar wrong

yuu ar wrong

yuu r wrong

yew are wrong

yew r wrong

yew ar wrong

yewar wrong

uwar wrong

yewarwrong

uwarwrong

uwarrong

yuwarrong

yeewarong

Last edited:
body is a house of cards, ready to collapse at any time

a temporary and fragile arrangement. that the universe will eventually destory
True enough. The body is in a constant state of dying but yet it persists on surviving. It will attempt to protect itself.

True enough. The body is in a constant state of dying but yet it persists on surviving. It will attempt to protect itself.

senses dont seem to work without consciousness

so without it the body only maintains the internals

its vulnerable to externals

avoiding external threats is basically just predicted pain avoidance based off memories application to the present data

avoiding external threats is basically just predicted pain avoidance based off memories application to the present data

don't

And do you consider amoeba "conscious" since they react to external stimuli and have no capacity to store and interpret memories?

“If a man crosses a river
and an empty boat collides with his own,
Even though he be bad tempered man
He will not become very angry.
But if he sees a man in the boat,
He will shout at him to steer clear.
If the shout is not heard, he will shout again, and yet again, and begin cursing.
And all because someone is in the boat.
Yet if the boat were empty,
He would not be shouting, and not angry.
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you”

-chuang tzu

Yep, if you are not there then nobody will yell at you. ;)

do you consider amoeba "conscious" since they react to external stimuli and have no capacity to store and interpret memories?

they probobly dont have consciousness or senses

its just unconsicous physical causality

"life is pointless"

I don't believe this.

It comes down to faith in the end.

If you don't have faith your life is a barren, dusty plain, with not even a blue sky to cheer you up.

What's the point to living that kind of life?

Yet it is reaction to external stimulus that the amoeba must "sense".

yes but our senses are connected through consciousness

theirs might be more directly connected

what the purpose of consciousness is i dont know. one theory is it brings in more unity which helps for some things

otherwise i dont know

perhaps its just a useless byproduct of other things

"life is pointless"

I don't believe this.

It comes down to faith in the end.

If you don't have faith your life is a barren, dusty plain, with not even a blue sky to cheer you up.

What's the point to living that kind of life?

faith doesnt exist

either peolpe are convinced by something or their not

besides afterlife changes nothing. that reality would be just as pointless as this one

I told you guys about the progression of this narrative. He just excused himself of everything. This is one long and drawn out rationalization for something terrible and he wants others along for the ride.

faith doesnt exist

either peolpe are convinced by something or their not

besides afterlife changes nothing. that reality would be just as pointless as this one

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Hours: Available 24 hours. Languages: English, Spanish.
Learn more
800-273-8255

You can probably use that in Canada but if not, I'm sure Canada has something similar.

I told you guys about the progression of this narrative. He just excused himself of everything. This is one long and drawn out rationalization for something terrible and he wants others along for the ride.

what is the point of life or death?

if you know state it

if not admit ignorance or pointlessness

what is the point of life or death?

if you know state it

if not admit ignorance or pointlessness

I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong.

*run*

image.png

[/QUOTE]
So your research is basically the less than a minute it took to google and then believing the first thing you read.

As i said only the ignorant think nihilism is a belief in nothing.

All you have managed so far is to give the literal definition of the word. Nihil means nothing and ism means belief.

Like every thread you have made you simply demonstrate your shallowness and inability to think through the problem.

Last edited:
No one cares about nihilism when applied like this.

In the realm of philosophy the intention is to explain a perspective as a matter of discussion on the absence of intention to participate in social, economic, and even ideological norms. The intent to reject norms is still an intention for something else and it is not absence of all reason.

In Philosophy in the area of axiology (values and application) the goal was to have the most extreme on both sides as a basis to discuss human nature.

But no one (as in no one discussing this area seriously) ever intended for these continual discussions to set up a group who call themselves nihilists. We do have several examples of German Philosophers (which is increasingly becoming a contradiction in terms, like German Comic) taking the discussion to some level of removal of various influences on ideology like religion. What we do not have is someone outright calling for the decline of social order to the point of a nihilism driven condition of anarchy.

Anyone that comes along and calls themselves a nihilist, or concludes "<insert monumental principle here> is pointless," is either trolling or lying. At best they do not understand the intention of this area of Philosophy but at worst they are just attempting to fool others or even themselves.

Nihilism is only applied like this by the ignorant.
Some of americas greatest writers wrote about nihilism. Hemingway wrote cannery row as a good example.
Nihilism was strong political movement in russia and was wiped out by the revolution.

Omniscient is not a nihilist in any sense of the word. He is simply someone who is shallow thinking things through.

you're wrong

you are wrong

your wrong

ur wrong

u r wrong

ure wrong

yure wrong

yur wrong

yourre wrong

urre wrong

yurre wrong

u are wrong

u ar wrong

yuu ar wrong

yuu r wrong

yew are wrong

yew r wrong

yew ar wrong

yewar wrong

uwar wrong

yewarwrong

uwarwrong

uwarrong

yuwarrong

yeewarong

Omniscient:

Hmmm, if you're not talking about longbows, then you scored a dismal 3/26 and failed your first grammar lesson's quiz. Education today, it's just so pointless. Educated or uneducated, it doesn't matter for some folks posting. They're just wrong so often, regardless of the support they get and no matter what they post. Pointless, I tell you, utterly and hopelessly pointless. Sigh.

Be well and be literate.
Evilroddy.

Omniscient:

Hmmm, if you're not talking about longbows, then you scored a dismal 3/26 and failed your first grammar lesson's quiz. Education today, it's just so pointless. Educated or uneducated, it doesn't matter for some folks posting. They're just wrong so often, regardless of the support they get and no matter what they post. Pointless, I tell you, utterly and hopelessly pointless. Sigh.

Be well and be literate.
Evilroddy.

you just failed your lesson that spelling and communication are two different things

Census don't work without takers.

Back
Top Bottom