• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Life at 400,000 times Earth's gravity?

I'd imagine that various forms of life could survive unimaginably different environments than here on earth. Perhaps, not all life is carbon based or some forms of life could survive gamma radiation. The mind boggles.

I'd imagine that various forms of life could survive unimaginably different environments than here on earth. Perhaps, not all life is carbon based or some forms of life could survive gamma radiation. The mind boggles.

It seems to me science is chipping away at the idea that there may not be life elsewhere in the universe. Remember the creatures discovered fairly recently that thrive at the bottom of the sea basking in the heat of vents in complete darkness, living at 2,200 psi at one particular vent? Some can breathe hydrogen sulfide, cope with heavy metals, and swim in acid. Life as we know it? Not until the 1970s. Where will we find life next?

Vent Communities

It seems to me science is chipping away at the idea that there may not be life elsewhere in the universe. Remember the creatures discovered fairly recently that thrive at the bottom of the sea basking in the heat of vents in complete darkness, living at 2,200 psi at one particular vent? Some can breathe hydrogen sulfide, cope with heavy metals, and swim in acid. Life as we know it? Not until the 1970s. Where will we find life next?

Vent Communities

Neat stuff. Who knows what we may discover in the next few decades. It's really too bad that people don't take more of an interest in science.

Neat stiuff. Who knows what we may discover in the next few decades. It's really too bad that people don't take more of an interest in science.

I agree. Science is amazing these days. I wish people would open their minds. Especially my Christian brethren. It's like they think that our God hates scientific thinking.

I think if we find extra-terrestrial life we must face the very real and most likely possibility that life did not begin on earth. I think the best evidence we have that life began here is the lack of evidence elsewhere.

Not the center of the universe.
Not the source of life.

What's next? We get demoted to Dwarf Planet like Pluto?

Last edited:
I think if we find extra-terrestrial life we must face the very real and most likely possibility that life did not begin on earth. I think the best evidence we have that life began here is the lack of evidence elsewhere.

Not the center of the universe.
Not the source of life.

What's next? We get demoted to Dwarf Planet like Pluto?

I wouldn't be concerned about our planet being demoted.. But in all honesty.. How can you say there is no evidence of life else where?? There is evidence all over the place.. As a general rule on our planet, all you need is flowing water.. Water is very abundant in the universe.. Hydrogen and Oxygen being a couple of the most common elements.. Many commits are made of ice.. Which is frozen water.. So water is out there is it not?? Europa, one of the moons of Jupitor appears to have flowing water under it's icy surface.. Could life be there?? Quite possibly.. Mars contains evidence that it once had flowing water.. Did life exist there at one time??

It has been said that there is a star for every grain of sand we have on our planet in our own galaxy.. Each one of these stars has planets that orbit them.. We don't know much about these planets because of the distance.. That and our detection technology isn't there yet.. But still.. Even if 1% of them have life.. That is still billions of planets with life.. Now lets move one to other galaxies.. There are more galaxies than our galaxy has stars.. And each one of those galaxies has countless stars with orbiting planets.. Given that all life needs is flowing water to develope.. It seems to me giving the sheer numbers of possible planets that exist in all the galaxies.. It seems pretty arrogant to say that life doesn't exist else where.. It is simply impossible that life doesn't exist else where..

Nature - Tardigrades: Water bears in space

This little guy could have brought life here to our planet.. All he has to do is hitch a ride on some commit..

I wouldn't be concerned about our planet being demoted.. But in all honesty.. How can you say there is no evidence of life else where?? There is evidence all over the place.. As a general rule on our planet, all you need is flowing water.. Water is very abundant in the universe.. Hydrogen and Oxygen being a couple of the most common elements.. Many commits are made of ice.. Which is frozen water.. So water is out there is it not?? Europa, one of the moons of Jupitor appears to have flowing water under it's icy surface.. Could life be there?? Quite possibly.. Mars contains evidence that it once had flowing water.. Did life exist there at one time??

It has been said that there is a star for every grain of sand we have on our planet in our own galaxy.. Each one of these stars has planets that orbit them.. We don't know much about these planets because of the distance.. That and our detection technology isn't there yet.. But still.. Even if 1% of them have life.. That is still billions of planets with life.. Now lets move one to other galaxies.. There are more galaxies than our galaxy has stars.. And each one of those galaxies has countless stars with orbiting planets.. Given that all life needs is flowing water to develope.. It seems to me giving the sheer numbers of possible planets that exist in all the galaxies.. It seems pretty arrogant to say that life doesn't exist else where.. It is simply impossible that life doesn't exist else where..

Nature - Tardigrades: Water bears in space

This little guy could have brought life here to our planet.. All he has to do is hitch a ride on some commit..

Yeah, read info about the tardigrade here a while back, don't remember who posted it. I had never heard of them. They can survive extreme temperatures, vacuum, and live through a period where they lose virtually all the moisture from their body.

I didn't read your link, but it probably includes this info about survival through exposure to crazy high radiation:

In the 1920's P. G. Rahm of the University of Freidburg discovered tardigrades were able to withstand being heated for a few minutes in 151 degrees Celsius and survive being chilled for days in temperatures up to minus 200 degrees Celsius. While in this state the organisms are also greatly resistant to ionizing radiation as shown by Raul M. May from the University of Paris who found that 570,00 roentgens were required to kill 50% of exposed tardigrades (only 500 roentgens would be fatal to a human).

Tardigrade Facts

The interesting thing here is we talk about 'life as we know it.' The parameters for that are changing, though. Lately, life as we know it can survive 400,000 g's, -200 celcius, 570,000 roentgens, a period of dormancy wherein no moisture is needed, swimming in acid in an environment with zero light...

Life is damned hardy.

Last edited:
You are aboslutely correct.. Life is hardy.. And that is just the life we have found on our own planet.. Imagine what we may find on other planets.. That is why it is so mind boggling for me to think that some people actually believe that our planet is the only one with life.. They will even base it on our current scientific search efforts..

With time our capabilities to detect life will become better.. But I have no doubts that it is out there.. I also have no doubt that we will continue to find life that will stretch the extremes of our understanding as to where life can exist..

I'm just saying...

If we accept that there is life outside earth, then we must accept that life did not begin on earth. Sooner or later, that revelation is comin' our way.

I'm just saying...

If we accept that there is life outside earth, then we must accept that life did not begin on earth. Sooner or later, that revelation is comin' our way.

How do you figure? If life can being somewhere else, why can't it begin on earth too.

Back
Top Bottom