• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Libyan rebels round up black Africans

Exactly my point. What did Libya get? Libya got several speeches and "Gadaffi its time to step down" oh yea and they got a **** ton of cruise missiles! What did Syria get? A speech here and there.... What did the Saudis get? Naaa nothing we were silent on that one, DEAD SILENT on that one! What did Egypt get? Silence.. Sure a few talking points, but nothing serious... Sure we will support a "orderly transition to democracy" only if its done are way and we get our candidates up there...

Obama's only going to support pro-terrorist states. he's your boy, not mine.

Comes as no surprise to me either as Khadfy was well known for using Black Africans against the people of Libya. We don't know what is being done, but if they are rounding them up to send them home, I have absolutely no problem with that... Of course, you love Khadaffy, so of course you would oppose anyone who oppses them. How cares about freeing the Libyan... or Chinese... or any other people from an oppressive dictatorship...

Gadafhi used mercenaries and his mercenaries came in all shapes and sizes. Such mercenaries were additionally a very small segment of the population. For Libya's new government to be rounding up any and every black person in the area, whatever they do with them, is clearly not something you should "have absolutely no problem with" if you actually have any interest in liberty or democracy.

No, the "we're smarter than you folks" said it didn't matter.

You are naive and don't know anything about middle east history, especially the Muslim brotherhood. Nor do you understand war psychology.

Oh, is that it? Well, why don't you get me up to speed, my man.

Gadafhi used mercenaries and his mercenaries came in all shapes and sizes. Such mercenaries were additionally a very small segment of the population. For Libya's new government to be rounding up any and every black person in the area, whatever they do with them, is clearly not something you should "have absolutely no problem with" if you actually have any interest in liberty or democracy.
Of course its not good that they are rounding up people, but compare this with what Gaddhafi did. Just as the rebels were closing in, his people instead of letting prisoners go, threw grenades in a holding area and then started firing indiscriminately at the people. This is like the first negative thing on the rebels' side and the detractors are trying to make a big deal out of it. Gaddhafi was much worse and at least this is just rounding them up and holding them until they can figure out what to do with them, the US does that to suspected insurgents too.

Makes you proud that we supported these assholes, huh?

Kinda like Egypt, where we encouraged Muslim extremists to oust a U.S. friendly government.
I said all along we should stay the hell out of it.

Which snide comparison to make, now?

Do we highlight the information that sounds familiar with African of centuries past - drawing connections with this and the beginnings of Slavery in the Congo?

Or do we highlight the other information that sounds familiar with Nazi-Germany of decades past - drawing connections with this and the beginnings of the Holocaust?

Which one - do you think - would be more suitable?

The new government has the right to make sure their new government will be secure. Now, they also have the right to deport them. Foreign citizens ALWAYS may be deported by the government at ANY TIME. They are guests. We don't know what they are going to do with them... perhaps only to verify that they are simply working and not fighting for the former dictator. We simply don't have enough information at this point.

The future of that entire region looks bleak. You think al-Quaida is a bitch? Wait until you see the entire Middle East and Northern Africa ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood, except for Israel.

Of course its not good that they are rounding up people, but compare this with what Gaddhafi did. Just as the rebels were closing in, his people instead of letting prisoners go, threw grenades in a holding area and then started firing indiscriminately at the people. This is like the first negative thing on the rebels' side and the detractors are trying to make a big deal out of it. Gaddhafi was much worse and at least this is just rounding them up and holding them until they can figure out what to do with them, the US does that to suspected insurgents too.

They are rounding them up on the sole basis of skin color. Surely you can understand how that is a bit different.

The new government has the right to make sure their new government will be secure. Now, they also have the right to deport them. Foreign citizens ALWAYS may be deported by the government at ANY TIME. They are guests. We don't know what they are going to do with them... perhaps only to verify that they are simply working and not fighting for the former dictator. We simply don't have enough information at this point.

Given the various reported instances of violence and outright murder of black Africans in rebel-held territories I am not terribly confident that they will mete out a fair ruling. Also, some of us have an understanding of democracy and liberty that does not include arbitrarily expelling any non-citizen the government likes without a legitimate cause. Being black is not a legitimate cause for expulsion.

The future of that entire region looks bleak. You think al-Quaida is a bitch? Wait until you see the entire Middle East and Northern Africa ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood, except for Israel.

Do you know any of the history surrounding the MB?

take it up with your President... it was his call all the way.

i'm not fond of the idea of going after libya myself... but i didn't have a say in the matter and neither did any of my representatives.

You mean that you are abandoning the Bush Doctrine? :mrgreen:

Obama's only going to support pro-terrorist states. he's your boy, not mine.

Hahaha "pro terrorist states"? HAHAHA. Your that brainwashed?
And no sorry he is "not my boy"...

i'm not sure why this is being offered up as a racist issue.... after reading the whole article, i didn't come away with the notion of this being an race-based issue at all... even though it's being sold to us here as exactly that.

Bait maybe.

Let's understand one major thing.....Barrak Hussain Obama has given Millions upon Millions of U.S. Dollars to these Muslim Rebels.
That is a very unstable country. And within a few months, I will say that Al-Quida will be involved, and part of their internal governing future.
Rounding up all the Black's..Yep! - that is only one influence of Al-Quida's way.

Let's understand one major thing.....Barrak Hussain Obama has given Millions upon Millions of U.S. Dollars to these Muslim Rebels.
That is a very unstable country. And within a few months, I will say that Al-Quida will be involved, and part of their internal governing future.
Rounding up all the Black's..Yep! - that is only one influence of Al-Quida's way.

And why do you think Al-Quida's not involved right now?

How much you want to bet the LA Times isn't looking at this through American black racism glasses? Is racism against black over there the same as it is here? What are the reasons?

Given the various reported instances of violence and outright murder of black Africans in rebel-held territories I am not terribly confident that they will mete out a fair ruling. Also, some of us have an understanding of democracy and liberty that does not include arbitrarily expelling any non-citizen the government likes without a legitimate cause. Being black is not a legitimate cause for expulsion.

Given that your understanding of democracy and liberty leads you to the support of tyrants, I don't think we have to take your opinion on the subject seriously.

And yes, government can AT ANY TIME expel non-citizens for any reason whatsoever.

Given that your understanding of democracy and liberty leads you to the support of tyrants, I don't think we have to take your opinion on the subject seriously.

My understanding of democracy and liberty leads me to expose the nature of propaganda and respect that a country needs to find its own path rather than replicating the path of other countries or being forced along such a path. Removing Gadafhi can be easily portrayed as a noble cause . . . . if you ignore the consequences of intervening in another country's political process. We did it in Afghanistan and got the Taliban. We did it in Iran and got Khomeini.

How much you want to bet the LA Times isn't looking at this through American black racism glasses? Is racism against black over there the same as it is here? What are the reasons?

Please show how the LA Times is looking at the situation "through American black racism glasses." Also you might know the reasons Libyans are doing this if you took a moment to look at the links.

My understanding of democracy and liberty leads me to expose the nature of propaganda and respect that a country needs to find its own path rather than replicating the path of other countries or being forced along such a path. Removing Gadafhi can be easily portrayed as a noble cause . . . . if you ignore the consequences of intervening in another country's political process. We did it in Afghanistan and got the Taliban. We did it in Iran and got Khomeini.

The people were choosing their own path against Khaddafi, but he had the guns and complete control for 42 years. If NATO airstrikes were going to help the people express their will, I support it. It seems you think that is a small group has control of the guns, that means that the people support that choice of government. You are so wrong on this.

Also, some of us have an understanding of democracy and liberty that does not include arbitrarily expelling any non-citizen the government likes without a legitimate cause. Being black is not a legitimate cause for expulsion.

It seems to be a legitimate cause here in the US:

One of the nation’s largest American Indian tribes has sent letters to about 2,800 descendants of slaves once owned by its members, revoking their citizenship and cutting their medical care, food stipends, low-income homeowners’ assistance and other services.

The Cherokee Nation acted this week after its Supreme Court upheld the results of a 2007 special vote to amend the Cherokee constitution and remove the slaves’ descendants and other non-Indians from tribal rolls. The 300,000-member tribe is the biggest in Oklahoma, although many of its members live elsewhere.​

I'll take the "Millions upon Millions" for true right now, though some proof would be nice. I can imagine that it could be true, as removing Qadafi has long been a policy goal of our government, stretching back to at least Reagan (GASP! I just suggested that Reagan and Obama agreed about something. The horror!)

Here's what I find immensely funny. Part of Bush's rationale for invading Iraq was that it would result in democracies taking hold across the region -- you'd think the Right wing would be shoving this in people's faces saying "See, we told you this would happen." Instead you're all concerned that this is turning out poorly in some ways. Did you expect that they'd all be Republicans or something?

I'll take the "Millions upon Millions" for true right now, though some proof would be nice. I can imagine that it could be true, as removing Qadafi has long been a policy goal of our government, stretching back to at least Reagan (GASP! I just suggested that Reagan and Obama agreed about something. The horror!)

Here's what I find immensely funny. Part of Bush's rationale for invading Iraq was that it would result in democracies taking hold across the region -- you'd think the Right wing would be shoving this in people's faces saying "See, we told you this would happen." Instead you're all concerned that this is turning out poorly in some ways. Did you expect that they'd all be Republicans or something?

You've missed the point. After all the opposition from democrats/liberals regarding the last two wars, or military conflicts in the Middle East, the irony, or hypocrisy, is that it's now OK to intervene in another Middle Eastern country's affairs. Why? Because your political party deemed it necessary.

Back
Top Bottom