• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Libyan forces battle Islamic State street-to-street in Sirte

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Libyan forces battle Islamic State street-to-street in Sirte | Reuters

Crouching on a rooftop, Libyan truck driver Riyad Swaid takes aim through breeze blocks at positions held by Islamic State fighters a few hundred meters away in the city of Sirte.

He and his fellow gunmen, aligned with Libya's unity government, are battling street-to-street for the strategically important coastal city on the edge the Western war against Islamic State.

Nearly two months into the battle, the militant group has lost control of Sirte's harbor and some of the residential areas near the center of what was late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's hometown.

Islamic State are being squeezed by a tightening ring of separate fronts around a 5-km central area where earthen berms crisscross roads, cutting off escape routes. Tanks and howitzers lob occasional shells into areas held by Islamic State.
Slowly removing ISIL from their Libyan stronghold.

Slowly removing ISIL from their Libyan stronghold.

This sounds promising.
I am hoping that the Libyan unity gov't forces aren't just another brutal ME gang.
They can't be any worse than ISIL.....I hope.

This sounds promising.
I am hoping that the Libyan unity gov't forces aren't just another brutal ME gang.
They can't be any worse than ISIL.....I hope.
They are doing this without heavy weapons, up to date arms. As was mentioned in the article, they fire the take round from outside the tank due to aging munitions.
They are aligned with the UN approved Unity Govt.
They have made significant headway in the past few months. ISIL was expanding and now being closed in to a killing field. Roads have berms up to prevent suicide bombers and ISIL's escape.
I have no doubt that Brit- US Troops are advising them.

They are doing this without heavy weapons, up to date arms. As was mentioned in the article, they fire the take round from outside the tank due to aging munitions.
They are aligned with the UN approved Unity Govt.
They have made significant headway in the past few months. ISIL was expanding and now being closed in to a killing field. Roads have berms up to prevent suicide bombers and ISIL's escape.
I have no doubt that Brit- US Troops are advising them.

We are there, but the chaos there with competing groups vying for power has forced us to hedge our bets and has also delayed weapons delivery.

My family and I used to go to the beaches there every couple months. Things sure do change.

Just imagine if we were really trying to destroy ISIS and the other Muslim terrorists.

Do you have any idea who you're rooting for?

Hey, they're fighting ISIL, so I'm cool with them for now, but they might end up being just as bad as them.

Last edited:
Hey, they're fighting ISIL, so I'm cool with them for now, but they might end up being just as bad as them.

Why not wait until we are who replaces ISIS before we start high-fiving.

Well tell us?

I don't know. That's why I'm not joining the pep rally. No matter who it is, you can bet they hate gays.

How funny would it be that ISIS is mostly gay and that's the real reason people are fighting them?

Back
Top Bottom