• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Libya going ahead with BP drilling deal

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Libya going ahead with BP drilling deal - Forbes.com

Quote(TRIPOLI, Libya -- Libya will allow BP to begin drilling in its offshore deepwater region next month, despite the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill, the head of Libya's National Oil Co. said Sunday.

Shokri Ghanem, who serves as Libya's de facto oil minister, said the April explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig, and the subsequent spill, were "tragic," but the oil industry is also moving into "new frontiers."

"An accident will not stop us from digging in this new frontier," Ghanem said. "Life must go on, but we will learn a lot of lessons.")

It is to be hoped that BP has indeed learned it's lesson and will no longer seek to use the absolute cheapest materials when extracting oil from all wells, let alone Deep Sea Wells.
For those who read this piece, I would urge you to also read the following linked story:-
Regulators Failed to Address Risks in Oil Rig Fail-Safe Device - NYTimes.com
I certainly hope that the Libyan authorities read and learn from it.

Libya is an enemy. I say let BP drill there all it wants to. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Technically Libya is no longer an enemy of the US.

However I must admit I am none too happy that the Mediterranian be polluted in much the same way as the Gulf.

Yeah!
Gets remove these Libyan occupiers from our soil!
And to intensify their so-called hatred of us, lets wish them the worst....
Enemy....indeed
"Conservative" says it all..

Yeah!
Gets remove these Libyan occupiers from our soil!
And to intensify their so-called hatred of us, lets wish them the worst....
Enemy....indeed
"Conservative" says it all..

Ahem, that was a joke. Lighten up. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom