• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Libertarian Gary Johnson May Be Included in Presidential Debates!

I hope so, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I have my sincerest doubts. The federal election committee is run by Dems and Reps. They'll arbitrarily increase the bar right before he has a chance.

The debate commission advises hosts to consider a bigger stage
Clinton-Trump debate sites plan for a third podium - POLITICO

I doubt they will allow him or any third party in the debates. Ever since the 2000 election and nader taking away enough votes to allow gore to lose, neither party has been willing to give third party recognition.

both establishment parties fear a third party allowed in the debates might be enough to throw off an election, especially in tghtly contested swing states.

The debate commission advises hosts to consider a bigger stage
Clinton-Trump debate sites plan for a third podium - POLITICO
Doubtful. The poll threshhold for Johnson is 15% in 5 selected national opinion polls. Johnson is below 9%. Unfortunately for Johnson, barring some huge scandal, any real change in the current polls will likely happen after the debates in late September and October. Plus, neither Trump nor Clinton seem thrilled about having a third participant who may spoil one or more close swing states.

If Johnson manages to enter the debates, I think it would probably help Clinton whose debate performances are generally solid. Fear of Trump among Democrats would keep defections low, while any gaffe or wild debate performance by Trump would accelerate the current defections of Republicans to either Clinton or somebody else.

I personally don't like the idea of a larger debate format. The Republicans had far too many candidates debating for far too long; the Democrats only had 4 but the debates were way more interesting with just Bernie and Clinton. Unless Johnson can show a real threat to win the whole thing, much like Ross Perot in 1992, I think this should be a contest between Trump and Clinton. Let them battle it out once and for all on national TV, face to face. One of them will be president, unlike Johnson.

I'll feel any Johnson I want to, sexual harassment lawsuits be damned!

I've had so much sexual harassment training at work I'm pretty good at it now.

The best thing for Johnson is to stay hidden. The best thing he's got going for him is bearing no likeness to Trump nor Hillary, a debate would threaten that.

The best thing for Johnson is to stay hidden. The best thing he's got going for him is bearing no likeness to Trump nor Hillary, a debate would threaten that.

That's the same thing that happened with that two-faced coward John Kasich. He only was in the debates because of his lack of presence. He got scared of the notion of debating 1 v 1 with Ted Cruz and so he shat himself and stayed home. And after he spent so much time whinging about how he wasn't getting enough airtime. Shows what a coward he was.

That's the same thing that happened with that two-faced coward John Kasich. He only was in the debates because of his lack of presence. He got scared of the notion of debating 1 v 1 with Ted Cruz and so he shat himself and stayed home. And after he spent so much time whinging about how he wasn't getting enough airtime. Shows what a coward he was.

That's a pretty harsh characterization.

I doubt they will allow him or any third party in the debates. Ever since the 2000 election and nader taking away enough votes to allow gore to lose, neither party has been willing to give third party recognition.

both establishment parties fear a third party allowed in the debates might be enough to throw off an election, especially in tghtly contested swing states.

It goes back to Perot and his grab of 18 or 19% of the popular vote. Even though he netted 0 EVs, the Republocrats went into action. They took away the Presidential Debates from the League of Women Voters and made their own "regulatory" committed and set rules to ensure that no third party could participate. They don't even want the remote possibility that third parties could gain traction.

I might actually watch if we can finally get some substance in the debates. Without him, they will just be attacking each other. Actually, I wonder if with him, Clinton and Trump will attack Johnson instead. Or just ignore him.

This is going to be the most negative campaign ever. Clinton promised she was going to run a positive campaign based on issues and the first thing she did was run ads of Trump's many sound bites. Since Trump has no "beef" all he can do is attack Clinton. I watched Johnson/Weld's town hall on CNN recently and found it very refreshing. I can't stand either Hillary or Trump. Johnson/Weld would clean up if he was allowed in the debates.

This is going to be the most negative campaign ever. Clinton promised she was going to run a positive campaign based on issues and the first thing she did was run ads of Trump's many sound bites. Since Trump has no "beef" all he can do is attack Clinton. I watched Johnson/Weld's town hall on CNN recently and found it very refreshing. I can't stand either Hillary or Trump. Johnson/Weld would clean up if he was allowed in the debates.

Im not a fan of Johnson but at least he can stick to the topic. I dont think he would clean up though. The media wont allow it. Theyll focus on creating a brawl between Trump and Hillary. Look at the GOp debates, same thing.

This may be exactly why the establishment pushes to get johnson included this time. The hope may be that he shaves enough votes from trump to clinche his loss in the general. I think it may come down to how close trump is to clinton right before the debate that will determine if johnson is invited or not

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's a pretty harsh characterization.
Seems pretty accurate though. Dont cry about how the media is ignoring so nobody can hear your message than turn down an opprotunity for a one on one debate on a national stage. Kasich lost credabiloty with me after that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom